New Bike

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that a 250 or a 500? My wife is thinking about a small Ninja to start riding on.

IMGP0127.jpg

Its a 250! I found the Ninja 250 Riders a great website. It makes me feel like

Rossi when I'm on the backroads. Still breaking it in so I'm staying under 6K :clapping:

I have a friend that has the 250 and my daughter rides the 500 . They will make fools of a lot of other bikes once you get used to them. The EX500 is a well thought of track bike and cheap.

Wow, I never thought of you as a Ninja rider. Very cool. Deena has been looking at the 250 Ninja as her first bike and I have resisted because I thought she'd need a little more motor.

I'm sure Deena would like the bike a lot. I know some people in the CRVBMW club

I belong to love them. Hey at $2,999(NEW) and 75mpg! and a great resale too

(see 10 year olds going for 2K) your not out much. If Iris had one, I may be able

to beat her at the next EOM :clapping:

I had an 80's 250, and it was a blast to ride, but the first 1k miles (I followed Kawi's break-in guidelines) was an eternity.

But it was great after. It was a bike I bought to teach my wife (now ex) to ride, and compared to my 750 Seca it was nimble as a BMX bike.

Who is the bike for? Great bikes from what I hear. Everyone impression I have read has been positive to the point that the riders were all surprised how good the bike is. The trick: high RPMs. Here is a good write-up from Pashnit.
https://www.pashnit.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1145

A story of a Hayabusa rider taking a Ninja 250 for 700 miles...
I'll have to disagree with a couple points on Pashnit's review. The Ninja 250 suspension is way to soft, but it is very flickable. He also mentioned it hits 16,000 rpm, it doesn't. The rev limiter kicks in at 14,500. Stock tires are rim protectors at best, and the brakes are passible. With a little work, it does make a helluva canyon carver. Sport deamon tires and a re-worked suspension go a very long way on the lil 250. Ohh and I've never gotten 75 mpg out of my Ninja, 50 is very doable tho while bouncing off the rev limiter.

After you get past those few short commings, you have bulletproof lil bike. It's easy to ride, easy to work on, and cheap to run. How many bikes can you hit the rev limiter on on 3 gears and still be under the speed limit? :clapping: Great fun to run, very capable.

I lub my lil 250 :yahoo:

YMMV

Ray

Its a 250! I found the Ninja 250 Riders a great website. It makes me feel likeRossi when I'm on the backroads. Still breaking it in so I'm staying under 6K :clapping:

I got my wife a ninja 250 about 2 years ago and she loves it. It does handle great with plenty of power for someone starting out. If you are really keeping the rpm's that low you must be driving in the city because 6k rpm's is only 50 mph on this bike. Here is a pic of my wifes bike.
104932781.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've gotten her up past 70mph this weekend(8-9K). Now have

425 miles on the ninjette! It is sooo...much fun riding a small

bike. A friend on a 1150GS is also thinking of getting one too!

"He could not understand how it was only $2,999." :yahoo:

You should all be on the lookout for a used mid 80's GpZ 550 that was the best of the sm cc group that thing would absolutly

fly, the predocessor to the ninja series it was the stepping stone of most pure mid size sport bikes are today!

Its a 250! I found the Ninja 250 Riders a great website. It makes me feel likeRossi when I'm on the backroads. Still breaking it in so I'm staying under 6K :clapping:
I have been looking at the Ninja Riders web site also. Their software isn't nearly as nice as what we use here but it is a nice site and well organized FAQ.

I got my wife a ninja 250 about 2 years ago and she loves it. It does handle great with plenty of power for someone starting out. If you are really keeping the rpm's that low you must be driving in the city because 6k rpm's is only 50 mph on this bike. Here is a pic of my wifes bike.
104932781.jpg
Picked up a nice used one yesterday that looks just like this except Deena's has different front signal lights. We'll try it out this weekend. :yahoo:

I did 275 miles yesterday driving mostly thru your state. I'm sure Deena will really love

the bike. I now have 700 miles on my new bike. Be careful because there is still a lot

of sand on the roads. I road with 5 other bikes all 1150-1500cc and she kept up just

fine. :clapping:

Same bike i've been considering to get my wife also. At the moment she seems comfortable riding on the back of the FJR though.