New boots for Sasquatch

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brodie

Darksider #16 - and Proud of it !
Reaction score
I've had plenty time to think back on my get off last July.

What worked, and more importantly
what failed
When I regained my composure, as best I could, lying on my back with multiple compound fractures in my left fore arm, I remember my right boot was missing. Surprise - I could wiggle my toes in the breeze. No broken bone down there, but it sure has been sore these past 6 weeks. As I'm getting close to cast removal time, I'm looking forward to physical terror therapy because soon afterwards I plan to be back on 2 wheels. I won't be looking for another FJR until the settlement is worked out, but I still have my Daughter's little CBR 600 F4i to putt around town with. At 6'6" I know it's a bit cramped for me, but someone has to give it some exercise.

My boots are still in good shape in spite of my right one being stripped off. In all honesty I think I need a better fitting boot. My trouble is I'm just outside the size of the typical production boot. Most motorcycle boots only go up to 13 or 14. Wide to extra wide is the rule. Narrow is considered B width, and there aren't that many options for a narrow foot. I pride myself in the fact that my legs are longer than my girth, my big toe is larger than my thumb, and my...

:blink:

well, lets just say 2 [SIZE=8pt]3/8 [/SIZE] across wise

and leave it at that. :lol:

Anyway, 10 years ago I got fed up looking for a boot off the shelf, and decided to have a custom boot built. My boot maker is West Coast Shoe Company, also known as Wesco to those familiar with the brand. They have been around in the PNW for about 100 years, and being a family owned company, they are in their 4th generation. Shoemaker is the family name. ;) They had built a custom last and 2 pair of JobMaster® lace up work boots for me in the past. Now I wanted something a bit more weather resistant and appropriate for riding. The best they could do was a slip on boot with a side zipper and storm flap. It's called the Boss® boot. I had them built sans the decorative buckles, harness rings, and other useless appendages.

Here is a picture of them...

DSC00888.jpg

When I had them built I was riding a Yamaha Venture Royale. These boots are styled for feet forward riding ala cruiser style bikes. My Venture placed my feet under my knees, but certainly not way forward. They were comfortable, kept my feet dry, and warm. The ankle area wrinkled a bit, but they worked well.

When I bought my FJR, my feet were now directly under me. This caused the upper portion to crease sharply and put pressure on the top of my ankles. On long trips it really starts to bother me. On my SS1k last year at WFO (Moscow) the final 300 miles were painful. Another problem I have with these boots is riding pants. When I visited Rider Wearhouse (Aerostitch) 2 years ago I tried on a pair of Roadcrafter riding pants. The upper portion of my boots were so large that the pants legs would not zip over them. I ended up buying the Darian outfit because the pants legs fit a little looser - just enough.

[SIZE=12pt]My request for all my fellow Big Foot riders on this forum... [/SIZE][SIZE=14pt][/SIZE]

What boots are you wearing?
What's your boot size/width.

I will be looking to replace my gear soon, new boots are in order.

Thanks !

Brodie

Last edited by a moderator:
This should be a long thread, with everyone with size 16+ feet weighing in.

um, remind me never to ask to borrow your calipers, Brodie.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

>>> and I saw his foot with no boot or sock on and his big toe

is crooked and bigger than my......... .... thumb. also

B

Size 14's here, I wear a pair of Oxtar (now TCX?) boots. There aren't a whole lot a MC specific boots above 14 so I can't imagine that your going to have any luck finding something in a 16. Tried the local Harley dealer?

The TCX Matrix/whatevers fit a bit wider, so us with 13EEE like ém. I hear the Sidis are a bit narrower.
As a 13EEE wearer, I did a google search and came up empty on TCX Matrix boots. Can you be more specific?
https://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/1/3...-GTX-Boots.aspx

And I thought I had problems finding shoes, 10.5 EEE

When I was a teenager a shoe sales man told my Mom my feet looked like picnic hams. F-ing a-hole!!!! :angry2: