New Brake Pads

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BkrK12

Reaction score
Replaced front and rear brake pads on my 2006 today. Also flushed the system.

Based on Gary McCoy's advice, I went with CL for the fronts and EBC HH for the rear. Last set was EBC HH at both ends. After a little break in ride, I am very pleased with the stopping power of the front brakes. It's too early to tell about longevity. But, effectiveness is at least as good as EBC HH all around and superior to the OEM. Since the CLs cost about 1/2 the EBC, and about 1/4 the OEM, I figure this is a good deal - now we'll have to see how long they last. Nice to do the job for about $112, as opposed to about $350 the dealer wanted for the OEMs.

Replaced front and rear brake pads on my 2006 today. Also flushed the system.

Based on Gary McCoy's advice, I went with CL for the fronts and EBC HH for the rear. Last set was EBC HH at both ends. After a little break in ride, I am very pleased with the stopping power of the front brakes. It's too early to tell about longevity. But, effectiveness is at least as good as EBC HH all around and superior to the OEM. Since the CLs cost about 1/2 the EBC, and about 1/4 the OEM, I figure this is a good deal - now we'll have to see how long they last. Nice to do the job for about $112, as opposed to about $350 the dealer wanted for the OEMs.
what does CL stand for and where can I get them for my 2004 with ABS?

A 13 year old post from someone who hasn't been here in 8 years. Don't expect you will get an answer from them...

CL in brake pads is Carbone Lorraine. Some seem to like them but others have reported them to be hard on rotors. I haven't used them. I use the EBC HH pads front and rear for my 2011. Decent pads and cheaper than Yamaha.

Any of the on- line parts places probably carry either brand. Lots like the OEM pads as well from the dealer. Not like it is a large expense for maintenance.

A 13 year old post from someone who hasn't been here in 8 years. Don't expect you will get an answer from them...

CL in brake pads is Carbone Lorraine. Some seem to like them but others have reported them to be hard on rotors. I haven't used them. I use the EBC HH pads front and rear for my 2011. Decent pads and cheaper than Yamaha.

Any of the on- line parts places probably carry either brand. Lots like the OEM pads as well from the dealer. Not like it is a large expense for maintenance.
EBC HH, front and rear.

2012 model.

EBC double sintered front and rear.

Front has 8 pads each side

Had the front wheel off for another reason... looked at pads. . Was shocked 😲

2 of 16 had nearly worn down to plate... inner left front right... the other 14 were like 60-80% to use...

So clearly something is sticking.... Will have to have a look.... About 10k miles on them.

Other than the abnormal wear I like them. Give good feedback and will buy again.

Have them on all my bikes actually 😃

Front has 8 pads each side
Front has FOUR pads each side for a total of eight in front and two pads in rear.

inner left front right...
Not sure which ones you mean. The lower pad pair on the right is actuated by the rear brake (linked brake) so that can wear more (or less) depending on how much you use the rear brake. If an inner or outer pad wears a lot faster or vice versa, it can mean that pistons/seals are dirty and are not retracting fully although some differences are normal and expected. I often swap inner and outer pads at tire change time (and partially extend and clean sides of pistons). I have been known to replace one or two pads instead of a "set" of eight. I am fairly easy on brakes and find I get 60-80,000 miles...

If two pads are that worn in 10,000 miles and you haven't been running at a track, I think that bears further investigation.

So clearly something is sticking.... Will have to have a look.... About 10k miles on them.

Make absolutely sure brakes aren't binding. I had an episode of binding brakes, led to warped discs.

(Click on image for larger view)
Disc "flat" on the bench and turned over

Wrote about it here.

Another thought - make sure the brake reservoir isn't too full. This can keep brake pads from retracting fully. Sometimes happens if the reservoir is full to begin with and pads are changed. Pushing the pistons back to accommodate the thicker new pads can "overfill" the reservoir...

Interesting topic. My 2014 just Turned 61,000 miles and both front and rear pads are about 1/2 gone. I check them each tire change. Perhaps my riding situation is not normal. After every ride I clean the calipers. Also I do not often make short trips. When possible I begin down shifting instead of breaking early. Just turned 80 years old so you can imagine I do not go into turns hot! Thanks for the insightful information.

Interesting topic. My 2014 just Turned 61,000 miles and both front and rear pads are about 1/2 gone. I check them each tire change. Perhaps my riding situation is not normal. After every ride I clean the calipers. Also I do not often make short trips. When possible I begin down shifting instead of breaking early. Just turned 80 years old so you can imagine I do not go into turns hot! Thanks for the insightful information.

My brakes last a long time too. I failed to post when I changed the fronts on my '13, but I just changed the rears at 99,700. I ride a lot of interstate, though. I might stop for gas then get back on the interstate and not touch the brakes for over 200 miles. And I make a game of not using the brakes for corners and elsewhere. I live in a rural area and ride some curvy roads getting home. When by myself and nobody gets in my way I can ride or drive for miles without using brakes.