New Cannonball Run record - on FJR1300

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've seen it talked about here.  I have heard comments along the lines of "maybe the fastest times anyone is willing to discuss to reporters."

Wonder which tire he had that got only 2800 miles? Sally and I could go 6700 miles on a PR2 and we weren't exactly slouches - not 120mph fast but still...

Wonder which tire he had that got only 2800 miles? Sally and I could go 6700 miles on a PR2 and we weren't exactly slouches - not 120mph fast but still...
Perhaps he had highly oxidative urine from the road tube he fashioned!

Seriously, though, it was not the middle of summer when hot roads might have contributed, and 7 gallons in the auxiliary tank is less than 40 pounds.  It looks like he also has a Frankentank, but that still does not add a lot of weight.

Perhaps he was running underinflated to soften the ride.

Also, the article says it was a 2014, but 2014s are red, so I would not be surprised if there were other mistakes as well.

And there is the difference.  ANY tire you try on that run and those speeds is not going to wear as a linear function to speed. Way more and more wear the higher you go...inversely proportional to your mpg.

I happen to have some experience chewing up three tires during special Nevada rallies and popped one with 2800 miles, 2200 out of another, and rubbed one to half tread with 1400.  And I know a guy on a Busa with a PRx that smoked one with only 1200 miles on it.

Generally speaking at those speeds--tires with the stiffest sidewalls and/or odd rubber compounds (aka Metzler ME-880) are all going to squeez you out only a few hundred more.

Also, the article says it was a 2014, but 2014s are red, so I would not be surprised if there were other mistakes as well.
I noticed that too.  And I'm wracking my brain whether I remember meeting or heard of this guy.  But most of the details he's sharing seem plausible and consistent with a run like that.  After playing reindeer games in Nevada myself I was thinking Reese's run was a prime opportunity to beat--you know once you throw out regard for basic traffic laws and take a run at it.  The bike is totally capable of it and a person can do that kinda time in a well-prepared bike.

I'd love to see that actual evidence on it.

I saw it mentioned that he rode from Dallas to New York before starting his run; if he didn't put on fresh tires, there's that.

I saw it mentioned that he rode from Dallas to New York before starting his run; if he didn't put on fresh tires, there's that.
I saw that but figured he started out fresh. At those speeds plus that total distance then I'm not surprised.

Looking at the road&track article there is a picture near the bottom of the article of him parked in front of the Portofino hotel sign. One would assume thats at the finish after the run. Sidewall of rear tire sure looks like a regular MC tire. Can't tell the make myself.

Latest posts