New FJR Model

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Momma Yamaha just needs to make dough....so keep the bike basically the same (die work is expensive, the existing dies are paid for) engine and plastic are top notch! :yahoo:

Fine tune the few issues that win clients (and MC mags )over ....color, comfort, and cosmetics!

Update the electrical output(add CC)maybe lights that track steering, update the seat(?),optional hwy pegs/crash protection and paint or P-Coat that wins contests!

Cheap and easy updates would be called Gen3, not cost alot, but get the 'new model' back into the Comparos (where it should place well/not win) ;)

This will sell more bikes, and cost little. Keep the faithful...faithful. Draw new buyers to look @ FJR's again. It's a win--win for everyone :D

Gotta hop back in to this thread.....

In all seriousness, with ALL the problems there have been with the GenToo platform, well documented BTW, I don't know if I could seriously consider a GenThree in my future.

Perhaps after it had been out 3 or 4 years and the forum had de-bugged the damn thing, I might change my mind.

I would, however, purchase another GenI without hesitation. Although, it would have to be an 04, since the changes made from 03 to 04 were significant, and I just don't like the blue Yammie used on the 05.

Heat??? What heat??? Only pussies complain about heat on a 1300cc motorcycle.

I've been riding my ZRX almost exclusively this month, just to keep gas flowing through the carbs, and guess what? I burned my leg on the motor the other day. NEVER have done that on my 04 "nut-roaster." So the alleged "improvements" on the GenTooz are so much "lip service" if you compare the "benefits" to the never-ending litany of GenToo problems.

I'd bet the ranch there WON'T be a GenIII in 2012...there may NEVER be a GenIII, but if there was, I would NOT be an early-adopter.

Although, it would have to be an 04, since the changes made from 03 to 04 were significant, and I just don't like the blue Yammie used on the 05.
So, your '04 has what, exactly, that's significantly different compared to the '03???

Bigger front rotors. So what? '03 can still lock the front wheel. DAMHIK. Bigger rotors aren't good for anything other than heat capacity, and since I don't ride hard enough to need brakes to be fade-proof through 35 consecutive 130-mph stops, my smaller slightly-lighter rotors make life easier when it comes time to remove the front wheel

ABS availability. Fine, but . . . . yours isn't ABS, is it?

Front running lights flat against fairing instead of on stalks. Big deal. Can't see 'em from the seat, so who cares what they look like?

Slightly taller gearing. Well, not any more, since you have that '03 engine and tranny.

So what's the dealio, exactly? Why you bashing my bike? :angry: :p :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Although, it would have to be an 04, since the changes made from 03 to 04 were significant, and I just don't like the blue Yammie used on the 05.
So, your '04 has what, exactly, that's significantly different compared to the '03???

Bigger front rotors. So what? '03 can still lock the front wheel. DAMHIK. Bigger rotors aren't good for anything other than heat capacity, and since I don't ride hard enough to need brakes to be fade-proof through 35 consecutive 130-mph stops, my smaller slightly-lighter rotors make life easier when it comes time to remove the front wheel
AAAADBIwxu4AAAAAANhrtA.jpg

ABS availability. Fine, but . . . . yours isn't ABS, is it?
Why yes, sir, it IS, sir. :p :p :p

Front running lights flat against fairing instead of on stalks. Big deal. Can't see 'em from the seat, so who cares what they look like?
Meaningless. Meh.

Slightly taller gearing. Well, not any more, since you have that '03 engine and tranny.
Why yes, sir, it IS, sir. :p :p :p

So what's the dealio, exactly? Why you bashing my bike? :angry: :p :p
It's all about the Cerulean.

Oh, and that WONDERFUL glove compartment! That alone.....WOW!!!

:D

Damn! Forgot about the glove box!!!!! :eek:

Hey, why doncha plug an air compressor into that socket and see what good it is to have that there!?!?!? :p

Hey, why doncha plug an air compressor into that socket and see what good it is to have that there!?!?!? :p
No, no no. The '04 and '05 have a storage compartment, but there's no power available in it. ;)

Brother Walt, kindly please cease and desist in engaging RadioHowie in a battle of wits: YOU ARE FIGHTING AN UNARMED MAN!

In all seriousness, with ALL the problems there have been with the GenToo platform, well documented BTW, I don't know if I could seriously consider a GenThree in my future.

Perhaps after it had been out 3 or 4 years and the forum had de-bugged the damn thing, I might change my mind.

I would, however, purchase another GenI without hesitation. Although, it would have to be an 04, since the changes made from 03 to 04 were significant, and I just don't like the blue Yammie used on the 05.

I've been riding my ZRX almost exclusively this month, just to keep gas flowing through the carbs, and guess what? I burned my leg on the motor the other day. NEVER have done that on my 04 "nut-roaster." So the alleged "improvements" on the GenTooz are so much "lip service" if you compare the "benefits" to the never-ending litany of GenToo problems.

I'd bet the ranch there WON'T be a GenIII in 2012...there may NEVER be a GenIII, but if there was, I would NOT be an early-adopter.
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. While I expected some teething problems with my new '06, I have to admit I'm a little disappointed with the build quality of the Gen II. And as you say, it's now been out for 6 years and there are still problems with a bike that has been substantially unchanged. I'm not sure what I will buy as a replacement as there are not a lot of choices in the market right now. I love to ride the FJR and find it very versatile but there have been so many issues (instrument cluster, ignition switch, ECU, Ground, CCT, Jerky throttle, lean mapping) I've had to deal with.

Friday right?

Gotta hop on Howie for his never ending litany of crap.

First of all you better start buying Gen I's for spare parts :search: so you will have parts in the future. They're gonna stop making replacement parts for the old girls sometime in the near future. Last one was made how many years ago now?

Second. It don't take no :stunned: rocket surgeon :headbonk: to deal with the problems the Gen II had. I bought mine, had them replace what was already ID'd as bad and did my own ground fix. I tied a coat hanger from the frame so it scrapes the ground as I'm ridin along, no problems so far, and I don't have static cling anymore either. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

In terms of heat issues, you old guys are always complainin it's too cold so I'm not surprised you think the gen I is fine. :cold: :rofl:

I wonder if you have ever even ridin, or owned a Gen II? I've owned em both and they are both fine tools for the job, but both have their share of shortcomings. Nothing worth whining incessantly about though. ;)

In terms of you not being an early adopter i understand. :banghead: It took you so long to come to terms with the shortcomings of the first Gen I;m not surprised. :p

:hi: :sarcasm: With all due respect, you've been the primary purveyor of the "never-ending litany of Gen II problems" from where I been sittin. :ranting2: :rtfm:

:bleh:

:scooter: Peace & Love Howie

Friday right?

First of all you better start buying Gen I's for spare parts :search: so you will have parts in the future. They're gonna stop making replacement parts for the old girls sometime in the near future. Last one was made how many years ago now?

Second. It don't take no :stunned: rocket surgeon :headbonk: to deal with the problems the Gen II had. I bought mine, had them replace what was already ID'd as bad and did my own ground fix. I tied a coat hanger from the frame so it scrapes the ground as I'm ridin along, no problems so far, and I don't have static cling anymore either. :thumbsupsmileyanim:

In terms of heat issues, you old guys are always complainin it's too cold so I'm not surprised you think the gen I is fine. :cold: :rofl:

I wonder if you have ever even ridin, or owned a Gen II? I've owned em both and they are both fine tools for the job, but both have their share of shortcomings. Nothing worth whining incessantly about though. ;)

In terms of you not being an early adopter i understand. :banghead: It took you so long to come to terms with the shortcomings of the first Gen I;m not surprised. :p

:hi: :sarcasm: With all due respect, you've been the primary purveyor of the "never-ending litany of Gen II problems" from where I been sittin. :ranting2: :rtfm:

Well you pretty much said what I was going to say. I've had both gens and they both have different issues, but in the big picture almost equal issues. It would be a difficult toss up if I had to pick between the two. Love the bike hate the problems we have had with them. That being said, I don't miss the nut roast on the Gen I Howie. Not complaining, just don't miss it.

GP

You aren't being serious, are you? :unsure:

The last 1st gens were made just 6 years ago. There is no way that anyone is going to have trouble getting parts for any of these bikes for decades.

The Gen1's have a long way to go until Yammi discontinues parts. Auto manufacturers have to go I think 10 yrs from the last run but having worked in a Field Service group in another industry they have a really good idea what the 'install base' is on the motorcycle (how many are out there) as well as the failure rates on every part, the cost of replacing it which may determine whether someone would bother doing so on a bike "X" years old and the cost of carrying such an item vs going end-of-life. They will also put in engineering changes (EC's) for parts that may be just slightly different but common to a newer model so that it can continue longer.

They also have painstakingly outlined the failure rates as well as plans for aftermarket/gray market parts that someone else may find financially advantageous to build after Yammi exits (Yammi may even silent partner with some of these to continue offering parts longer term, taking a slight margin hit to minimize the risk of dealing with it themselves in later years and we would never know it as a customer.

And, while they may do a 'last time buy' on certain parts that require huge MOQ's or presses that are underutilized, they will make enough to forecast what they need to go out further, especially if it is a critical part.

That is, unless you have a Buell! :)

Didja maybe misunderstand where he's from???? :lol: Winter haven is not a wintery place. It's a haven from wintery places. It's the anti-winter. I don't recall a "Damn!! It's cold!!" complaint from RH ever. :huh:

Nothing worth whining incessantly about though. ;)
But.... but..... yeah, huh! Yes there is!! :)

Darn, I just bought a new 2010 this month, but now reading all this about needing new parts, and all the problems like heat and static, I must of made a mistake. Before I signed the papers, I thought the FJR would be dependable, (a lot of that based on reading this forum), but guess I should now sell it quick and buy a Harly, since most of my friends asked why didn't I get one of those. Hope it stays together for a couple of weeks, since it will take that long to get the needed title to sell it.

Didja maybe misunderstand where he's from???? :lol: Winter haven is not a wintery place. It's a haven from wintery places. It's the anti-winter. I don't recall a "Damn!! It's cold!!" complaint from RH ever. :huh:

Nothing worth whining incessantly about though. ;)
But.... but..... yeah, huh! Yes there is!! :)
allrider Bro', arguing with our RadioHowie is just like teaching a pig how to sing. It is a total and complete waste of your time and it annoys the living feck out of the pig!

Friday right?

allrider, this is radiohowie. He's on the charmin forum complaining about the corn cob being replaced. :lol:

I'll give you $500 for the worthless piece of crap. :)

GP
Thanks GP for the offer, but you are just down the road from me, and still keeping yours, so maybe I'll keep mine.

I was kind of impressed with this new bike. Been riding home from work with the afternoon heat being 103-107 degrees since the first day of ownership, yet it has not yet been necessary for the engine to turn on the radiator fans.

Like the FJR "feel". Once it cools down below 100, I'll have more time to get myself adjusted so it feels like a part of me when riding.

I'll give you $500 for the worthless piece of crap. :)

GP
Thanks GP for the offer, but you are just down the road from me, and still keeping yours, so maybe I'll keep mine.

I was kind of impressed with this new bike. Been riding home from work with the afternoon heat being 103-107 degrees since the first day of ownership, yet it has not yet been necessary for the engine to turn on the radiator fans.

Like the FJR "feel". Once it cools down below 100, I'll have more time to get myself adjusted so it feels like a part of me when riding.
Bob you better keep it. You need at least a year or so in the saddle to really get to feeling good and comfortable with her. All bikes have some kind of issues,the FJRs are well documented on this forum. Just something you live with and can fix with a little help from your friend here on the forum. Maybe we can go for a ride together if it ever cools off. On the other subject of parts being available for a certain amount of time, I've heard 7 years on keeping parts available from manufacturers all of my adult life. I had a 1983 Venture I bought new and kept for over 25 year. After 20 years mechanical parts started getting harder to come by. The tupperware got scarce fast after 10-15 years.

GP

GP

Status
Not open for further replies.