New Forum Member

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mshrout

Reaction score
Hello Everyone, New to me (2014 ES ) FJR. have been riding and racing for 47 years as well as wrenching. My wife rides with me and we have been on several european tours over the years. I look forward to contributing and or answering questions if I can. We currently reside in GA and I ride the Northern GA mountains quite often with some trips to the dragon area. also race enduros and harescrambles when I can (08 YZ450, with off-road suspension and goodies). our family loves outdoor activities as you can tell. I’m also newly retired (insurance industry) so if you have the ”insurance question” and related to motorcycles, I can help. stay safe everyone and keep the rubber side down, as always.

Mark

Nice looking bike! Appears to be in great condition. Hard to believe that the previous owner(s) averaged just 500 miles per year!
Lube the hand levers (especially the brass bushing in the clutch lever). Remove, clean and lube rear brake pedal and shift linkage. Flush brake and clutch hydraulic fluid while you're at it. Don't forget that the fight front caliper has two bleed nipples. The top one bleeds with the front brake but the lower one is for the linked brake (lower piston pair) and bleeds with the rear brake pedal.
Edit: I would probably do the rear drive fluid as well. Coolant probably OK unless you are looking for something to do. I usually do coolant at valve check time but if the previous owner didn't do it then it certainly wouldn't hurt to refresh it.

Last edited:
Hello Everyone, New to me (2014 ES ) FJR. have been riding and racing for 47 years as well as wrenching. My wife rides with me and we have been on several european tours over the years. I look forward to contributing and or answering questions if I can. We currently reside in GA and I ride the Northern GA mountains quite often with some trips to the dragon area. also race enduros and harescrambles when I can (08 YZ450, with off-road suspension and goodies). our family loves outdoor activities as you can tell. I’m also newly retired (insurance industry) so if you have the ”insurance question” and related to motorcycles, I can help. stay safe everyone and keep the rubber side down, as always.

Mark
WELCOME FROM SUNNY ARIZONA. WITH RIDING YEAR ROUND.

Welcome, Mark, and enjoy the forum. Nice bike.

Welcome from Moncton, NB, Canada!
In the past, I have rented a bike and ridden the roads in northern Georgia, particularly around Helen. There are a lot of great roads out there.

Mark
Hello and welcome,
I’m in Roswell and have the same year! Fantastic bike one of the best I have owned. Let me know if you want to hook up for a ride with me anytime.

Hello and welcome,
I’m in Roswell and have the same year! Fantastic bike one of the best I have owned. Let me know if you want to hook up for a ride with me anytime.
HI Jd, that would be great. new to the forum, is there a PM area I can send you my cell?

Nice looking bike! Appears to be in great condition. Hard to believe that the previous owner(s) averaged just 500 miles per year!
Lube the hand levers (especially the brass bushing in the clutch lever). Remove, clean and lube rear brake pedal and shift linkage. Flush brake and clutch hydraulic fluid while you're at it. Don't forget that the fight front caliper has two bleed nipples. The top one bleeds with the front brake but the lower one is for the linked brake (lower piston pair) and bleeds with the rear brake pedal.
Edit: I would probably do the rear drive fluid as well. Coolant probably OK unless you are looking for something to do. I usually do coolant at valve check time but if the previous owner didn't do it then it certainly wouldn't hurt to refresh it.

10-4 on the suggestions. Before I departed Colorado to GA, I did flush the clutch fluid but since the brake bleeders are different size than the clutch bleeder, I didn’t flush the brakes, I only removed the old fluid out of the reservoirs ( absorbed with blue shop towels) and refilled with DOT4. New rear tire installed. changed the oil and filter as well, (Motul 10w-40 synthetic). topped up the coolant recovery bottle ( filtered water). Now that the bike is back in GA. will spend time as you suggested on brake bleeding and rear gear oil change out and thanks, have an ES shop manual on order. Bike only had 4175 miles on it, and appears to be very well taken care of as most likely stored inside but all fluids did need changing. Just installed a matching front tire and changed the oil and filter once I got back to GA. Now for the brake fluids and checking shift linkage and brake pedal, might as well pull the caliper pad brake pins to check them as well. Bike rides out solid, and looking forward to many miles as upgrading to Yamaha touring screen.

HI Jd, that would be great. new to the forum, is there a PM area I can send you my cell?
Just position your mouse pointer on your avatar and hold for a bit then click start conversation.
1654137832149.png

Buy some Speedbleeders for your clutch and brakes, then replace the caliper pins with the Honda ones, then look into a relay arm that’s been modified to add grease fittings. You might want to invest in a Russell Day-Long seat..

Welcome to the forums from Winnipeg, Manitoba!