New from Washington State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eroc

Reaction score
Hello from the Seattle area. Just picked up a 2018 FJR. My recent two bikes are a Vstrom 1000 (still have it) and an Africa twin before that. I've never owned a sport tourer and the FJR seems to fit the bill. First impressions: In sport mode the FJR is an absolute rocket compared to my previous bikes. The LED lights are really good. I like the seat so far. The wind protection is really bad and I will try another wind screen right away. I haven't decided if I need to raise the bars yet, I'll give it a couple of months to get used to. I've never had cruise control before and never wanted it but I really like it. The recall work has been done and I'm hopeful that won't ever be an issue. So far so good!

Last edited:
Welcome from another Seattle rider! I changed the OEM windscreen to a Yamaha Touring screen after a few days. The stock screen is truly minimal...I also added the Yamaha Touring seat and feel it's much better on the longer rides (4+ hours)

Welcome from another Seattle rider! I changed the OEM windscreen to a Yamaha Touring screen after a few days. The stock screen is truly minimal...I also added the Yamaha Touring seat and feel it's much better on the longer rides (4+ hours)
Thanks! I need to get a wind screen asap. Does the touring windscreen allow enough air flow on the few hot Seattle days?

Thanks! I need to get a wind screen asap. Does the touring windscreen allow enough air flow on the few hot Seattle days?
I ride with the Touring screen in top position 90% of the time - offers great wind protection. On the few very hot days I simply lower the screen and I get loads of wind in my face

Highly Highly Highly recommend the following. They may not save everything if you slide at speed but for the slow motion drop or the standing drop, that is inevitable, you will save more than the cost of the Sliders and Guards by protecting your Bags and Mirrors alone. And you may even save some other fairing parts as well. Nearly everyone I know has had a parking lot drop and they are much less of an issue when you've got some fairly inexpensive protection. Don't wait until after your first brush with disaster as I did to get the protection. Seriously!

Frame Sliders
T-Rex Racing Inc. N69-13

Luggage Guards
T-Rex Racing Inc. N69-13LGB5

And... a Larger Touring Windshield is a great purchase. When it is warm out, I ride with mine down and when it is cooler or I want noise reduction for coms, I ride with it up. The Touring version offers significantly improved protection when up at full height.

Beyond those few things, there are many other farkles you can add. Migsel phone/gps mount, bar risers, custom seat, yada yada yada. Search the forum for just about anything and you can find someone who has figured out and documented a good option for farkles and general wrenching.

Most importantly...

Ride that Beautiful Beast of a Bike. It is an amazing machine. I left a GoldWing for my 2014 FJR1300A had have never looked back.

Last edited:
Hello from the Seattle area. Just picked up a 2018 FJR. My recent two bikes are a Vstrom 1000 (still have it) and an Africa twin before that. I've never owned a sport tourer and the FJR seems to fit the bill. First impressions: In sport mode the FJR is an absolute rocket compared to my previous bikes. The LED lights are really good. I like the seat so far. The wind protection is really bad and I will try another wind screen right away. I haven't decided if I need to raise the bars yet, I'll give it a couple of months to get used to. I've never had cruise control before and never wanted it but I really like it. The recall work has been done and I'm hopeful that won't ever be an issue. So far so good!
Before you go there you might like the extra air you get with the oem shield. At first I thought it was a lot then I tried ear plugs. Might work for you and save the cash for gas and maintenance.

I use a cut down screen that barely comes above the gauges. I tried both Yamaha screens and an extra-tall CalSci, but the cut-down from Cee Bailey's is by far the best. I took it off the first winter after I got it but have never taken it off since.
I didn't track it exactly, but I'd guess I have over 60,000 miles behind the low windscreen. My helmet rides in undisturbed air, with less turbulence than behind any other windscreen I've tried.
Of course, I'm 6'-5" and sit on a custom seat 1-1/2" above the high-setting stock seat, so my helmet is a bit above most other riders'.

Highly Highly Highly recommend the following. They may not save everything if you slide at speed but for the slow motion drop or the standing drop, that is inevitable, you will save more than the cost of the Sliders and Guards by protecting your Bags and Mirrors alone. And you may even save some other fairing parts as well. Nearly everyone I know has had a parking lot drop and they are much less of an issue when you've got some fairly inexpensive protection. Don't wait until after your first brush with disaster as I did to get the protection. Seriously!

Frame Sliders
T-Rex Racing Inc. N69-13

Luggage Guards
T-Rex Racing Inc. N69-13LGB5

And... a Larger Touring Windshield is a great purchase. When it is warm out, I ride with mine down and when it is cooler or I want noise reduction for coms, I ride with it up. The Touring version offers significantly improved protection when up at full height.

Beyond those few things, there are many other farkles you can add. Migsel phone/gps mount, bar risers, custom seat, yada yada yada. Search the forum for just about anything and you can find someone who has figured out and documented a good option for farkles and general wrenching.

Most importantly...

Ride that Beautiful Beast of a Bike. It is an amazing machine. I left a GoldWing for my 2014 FJR1300A had have never looked back.
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, T-Rex frame sliders are out of stock like so many other products.

Welcome from Winnipeg..
6’1”..I like the Yamaha Touring screen with a MRA X-Creen on top, Russell Day-Long for a seat, PIAA dual horns to wake up the cagers..