New Gen no spider fail

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

On your new Gen have you had spider fail?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • If Yes miles at fail?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • If No how many miles on bike now

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

FJR Bill

Reaction score
Just trying to put things into perspective for myself. I'm all for the idea of improving the gounding issue but want to do a risk analysis while my 09 is still under extended warranty. Would like to see if there is a trend related to miles on the bike. Thanks, Bill

Just trying to put things into perspective for myself. I'm all for the idea of improving the gounding issue but want to do a risk analysis while my 09 is still under extended warranty. Would like to see if there is a trend related to miles on the bike. Thanks, Bill
I just voted on my own poll. My 09 no fail miles 9800.

Bill

If you check the poll results that accompany the main thread on getting people to push the NHTSA to get Yamaha to do what they should you will see that there really seems to be no correlation except one related to age - and even then . . . without population figures for the entire of what's out there getting an idea of what the statistical distribution and thus the trigger factors is a difficult, if not impossible task.

The probability is that in general the older the macine the more likely it is to suffer the proble - and it is also likely tied to operating times and operating environment - humid weather encourages corrosion; Hot weather allows heat to collect and time exacerbates all problems.

You have two choices; You can do nothing and wait for the bike to fail or for there to be a recall or you can invest in a bypass harness and probably avoid having to go through the issue and then get Yamaha's fix if and when they provide it - the latter is the most prudent way to go..

Now, your bike is a 2009. The logic dictates that your YES runs until 2014 - so you have quite a while to wait to worry about having to fix it yourself if Yamaha does not. If you don't have a YES, then presumably you have some of the original warranty left and you can buy the extension for your $389 and push that date to 2014.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is already well substantially covered under the thread here.

Closing incorrectly placed and duplicative thread. Please resist the urge to proliferate this topic and try to use the one thread.

That said, if you wanted to redo a poll that was substantially different than the other thread AND covers multiple years AND is better crafted....it might pass muster. You might even run a draft poll by others as a "peer review" to make sure it is truly new and different and adds value to this important issue. It could become pinned and a supplement to the existing thread!

Using a checkbox to indicate mileage and assuming everybody knows what "new Gen" means....not so much. The ideal needs to be cooked a bit longer. ;)

Thanks.

The Management

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.