New Guy from NY State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit Greg

Reaction score
Howdy Gents! "Bandit Greg" here, residing about 40 Klicks north of NY City... the Lower Hudson Valley. George Washington rinsed his socks here!
I bought a cherry 2008 FJRAX last May, 19K miles for $5000... my third (current) bike in the garage and something like my 26th or 27th, total. I found this one on Craig's List. The only issue was- it was all the way out in central Michigan. So after looking at numerous photos and talking with the guy, I sent a deposit and flew out there, took a bus to Lansing, paid the guy the balance, and rode it home (two days).
Since then I've worked to bring out just a bit more "Sport" in the bike, (I'm an old-school Cafe rider, with track experience). Yes, Yes I know it's a Tourer.. and that's fine; I needed a bike to do 75% Open Road work.. but prefer slightly more racy-feeling ergos and function. I know most guys like to SIT UP more.. but.. what can I say.
Mods so far:
- Dominator R cans
- Ivan ECU re-flash
- "Shorty" tinted windshield
- Cut 1" out of bar height and TIG's 'em nicely (PS- you can't go lower than -1" or switches will contact tank)
- Adaptiv TPX radar; fabbed-up a SS bracket and installed it over the Speedo neatly (using 3M tape, no screws)
- Some tasty Shorty levers (I just like 'em, it's the kid in me).. and some soft grips
- PAIR block-off plates
- Chopped-off the rear fender carefully; added a good Chinese plate bracket
- Hyperpro rear shock
- Sonic springs up front to my weight

One month into ownership I encountered the dreaded *SPIDER BITE*... after some research I snipped out the burned connector (and the #6 as well up on the left side), soldered new connections and fresh grounds to frame)

Had some very mild handling issues (slight sloppiness in center, especially over ripple-bumps).. could be the tires..
My only real issue now is WIND NOISE at the helmet... I will post to one of the threads here..

ANYWAY, Hello to all you good FJR people... I've been on other sites and hope to be a cheerful and respectful Poster.

Attachments

• Greetings from New York State.jpg
    Greetings from New York State.jpg
    318.3 KB · Views: 14
Hello, I am not too far from you. I have an 07 and also lean toward the sportier side. I have a brand new low, dark tinted windshield sitting in the box that I have never been able to get rid of. Oh well... Anyway, maybe we will meet up one day.

Hi from NJ! I was born and raised there on the East bank of the Hudson, in a town famous for being "up the river". Are you Westchester, Putnam, or Rockland?
And Garauld? I'm a S.U.N.Y-Binghamton grad--class of 1977.

[blushes and stubs toe] Awe Gee... THANKS, FELLERS! Nice to be here!

GARAULD - I've been out on a few tracks.. maybe a dozen times: Loudon, VIR (North and South).. more recently, New York Safety Track up near Oneonta. And waaay in the past: Bridgehampton.

SPORTOURER - From Millerton, eh? I LOVE that stretch, up 22! I often ride up the Taconic into the Berkshires... we'll have to connect one day.

BOUNCE - Thanks for the welcome, B!

COLLINGS BOB - I just checked the weather for Winnipeg- SIX whole degrees.. with 89% chance of snow tonight. I guess it won;t be a great moment to take the Feejer out, eh?

YANKTAR - "Gonna send ya up The River, ROCKY!" Yup, Ossining. I am exactly 10 miles due west of there. My "local" dealership is Hudson Valley Motorsports, there.

FAST PAPPY - Nice to hear from you.. Happy N Year! My feeling is that you can NEVER have enough FJR forums!

Attachments

• 20210831_180302.jpg
    20210831_180302.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 6
:ROFLMAO: You got it! You're not far from where Ivan's Performance Products was for many, many years. Now it looks like he's moved to South Carolina. Wonder what's up with that? Retiring to a milder climate? I haven't spoken to Ivan since 2013, but that's not due to any grudge or complaint about him. He's a good guy, if a bit salty.

Holy Crap! Hudson Valley Motorcycles used to be the town's Cadillac / Buick dealership for many decades! I checked their website and instantly knew the building.

I knew Ivan well, since back in the days when he was a simple Honda tech at the House of Power in Nyack. For decades we were quite friendly- I would stop by his shop(s) and hang out with him, and he seemed happy with that until one time I made the "mistake" of telling someone on an obscure forum that Ivan "is a fantastic tuner but not very good with humans".
That .. was IT.
Next time I saw him he stiffly announced that "We shall not be doing business anymore!!"
I'll stick with my original comment. Great Tuner... not a good People Person.

Bandit Greg if you are looking for people to ride with, the Ramapo Motorcycle Club rides out of the Nanuet Diner every Sunday year round weather permitting. Various members have or have owned FJRs. Website: Ramapo MC Hotline: 914-422-1806
Yeah, thanks for that, Mike. I've known about the RMC for many years... but never once got involved, for some reason. I guess because I mostly prefer to ride solo... group rides get me feeling claustrophobic...
BUT... maybe it's time for me to pay that group a visit, in the Spring.. thanks!

It looks like there are a few of us in the area. I normally ride alone like most LD riders since most people don't like to ride as far or as fast as we do. But, I am open to a meetup this spring...

Thanks, K!
We'll have to compare notes.. which FJR do you own?
Do you get down to Harriman St Park much? It's my backyard!
Recognize this spot?
Yeah I ride Seven Lakes Drive and 218 every now and then. Usually hit up the Catskills or Adirondacks for day rides. I have a 2016.