New helmet arrived today

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CAJW

Reaction score
Throwing this out for discussion: I ordered a Shoei X-11 helmet on sale from a major online retailer last week. It arrived today as advertised with the dark shield that I ordered along with the helmet. Upon inspection I found the manufacture date was October 14, 2008! I've read many different retirement figures based on years since manufacture which range from 2-5 years with the preponderance of opinion around 4-5 years for replacement. If this advice is followed, then my helmet has already lost one year of use before I even put it on my melon! I'm not going to mention the retailer until I hear back so they're not up for trashing until it may be appropriate. There was no mention in their ad about closeout stock (although the X-12 is out so it's pretty obvious why they're on sale) nor was there any mention anywhere in their literature about dated merchandise. I've emailed them for a response as to how they will correct this issue, but wanted some feedback from the forum as to how ya'll would feel if you got a new year old helmet delivered as brand new? :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Throwing this out for discussion: I ordered a Shoei X-11 helmet on sale from a major online retailer last week. It arrived today as advertised with the dark shield that I ordered along with the helmet. Upon inspection I found the manufacture date was October 14, 2008! I've read many different retirement figures based on years since manufacture which range from 2-5 years with the preponderance of opinion around 4-5 years for replacement. If this advice is followed, then my helmet has already lost one year of use before I even put it on my melon! I'm not going to mention the retailer until I hear back so they're not up for trashing until it may be appropriate. There was no mention in their ad about closeout stock (although the X-12 is out so it's pretty obvious why they're on sale) nor was there any mention anywhere in their literature about dated merchandise. I've emailed them for a response as to how they will correct this issue, but wanted some feedback from the forum as to how ya'll would feel if you got a new year old helmet delivered as brand new? :angry:
was it sold at a deep discount ???

did you get what you paid for ???

if not, you have a beef.

if so, you appropriately got merchandise worth what you paid for and you were made whole in the contract of the sale

now, if the advertising said something about the age of the helmets and you got different, then you have a beef

just sayin' IMHO

I hope you end up satisfied

discounted tires mostly have sat on the shelf awhile...

higher price tires from a "normal" established business should be <6 months old

deep discounter with mass sales, I would expect they purchase wholesale surplus merchandise from others that have sat

batterys can be same

part of the deal

I wouldn't really care, for a good price, a year old helmet on a shelf out of the sunshine in air conditioned environment

I don't really worry about the 5 year old rule anyway. I examine my older helmets for squishy liners and inside shell, and also scratches or drops or mechanisms that are worn out. I will replace it if I feel it has become defective in some way.

let's ride safe and be careful out there,

Mike in Nawlins'

It's not how old the helmet is. It's how long the helmet has been used. Even then if it's never hit the ground with you head in it, and it still fits properly snug, you have a good helmet that can be used for many more years.

My brand-new 2010 model Z1R Venom has a build date of May 2009 on it, and for $130 out the door, I ain't gonna worry too much about replacing it in 3 more years (or sooner). Bonus- it's ECE certified!

I always buy closeout helmets; I can save $150 to $200 on a new Shoei. And I never worry about the build date.

OK, this will be like an oil thread...

IMO - Helmets can last longer then they say. What's you comfort zone....?

If the experts say change it at "X" interval, they are being conservative. How often do you wear it, etc, is a HUGE factor. I personally wear my helmet every day of the work week at a minimum. It gets lots of wear, and I'll change it out a little more frequently. I can feel the difference with a new helmet, compared to my old one (compression of the Styrofoam, etc).

Arai says they warranty their helmets for 7 years from date of Mfg, or 5 years form date of sale. I have bought brand new helmets 2 to 4 years old, due to the cheap price. They did great, and after 3 years I got a new one.

I would say no worries. If it bugs you, work it out with the vendor.

Good luck.

It's not how old the helmet is. It's how long the helmet has been used. Even then if it's never hit the ground with you head in it, and it still fits properly snug, you have a good helmet that can be used for many more years.
I thought so too until I read this, https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...st&p=648611

BTW, I paid $400 for the Shoei, which is a good deal, but not @ $150 lid which I would expect to have an old manufacture date.

It would be ironic if you bought it from "New Enough." :rolleyes:

But I agree, Discounted price usually means a brain bucket has sat on a shelf because of unpopular graphics, size or something. If you are uncomfortable with a year off the serviceable life of the helmet, spend top dollar at a high end retailer. YMMV

I have read this many times -

"Under normal usage (with no drops or crashes) it takes about 5 years of age before a helmet no longer can deliver the design impact protection."

and always seems to originate from a helmet manufacturer. I'd like to see an independent lab do age / delaminate / etc. testing and report the results. Do polycarbonate shells or polystyrene liners for example deteriorate enough in 5 years to make a helmet less safe enough, to be outside the design parameters enough, to have to discard it?

While arranging stuff this summer I uncovered an old helmet that I got from a neighbor back in the late 80's, when it was already old. It had no date of manufacture on it. It seemed to be in great shape still, no apparent deterioration in color or shape. Insides were a bit musty, though, and not replaceable, and I tossed it. I wonder if it would have passed the 218 performance tests?

X-11 was replaced by the X-12, so yes, you got last year's (or prior) model. Who cares? It is a great crash hat either way, so if you got it at close-out price, call it a happy deal!

-BD

Like others, day one starts when I put it on my head. I don't pay any attention to the build dates. Just sayin......

I forgot to add: I never get 5 years from a helmet. After a couple three years they are usually so loose or grungy (or banged up from a crash) I just replace them. Must be the shampoo I use. :unsure:

I forgot to add: I never get 5 years from a helmet. After a couple three years they are usually so loose or grungy (or banged up from a crash) I just replace them. Must be the shampoo I use. :unsure:

should have bought the brand new shoei that just came out! Too bad.

Without turning this into an oil thread by discussing why you or I feel a Shoei is worth the money or what a helmet's life should be, I'll just address your original concern about its manufacture date.

It's not how old the helmet is. It's how long the helmet has been used.
I agree. There's a big difference between a helmet being exposed to heat/cold/UV rays/sweat, body oils, etc., for a year and being safely tucked away in it's box on a shelf at a dealer. I recruit chemical engineers for a living and I've learned plenty about what breaks down the materials used to make motorcycle helmets and how long that process takes. Having said that, I replace my helmets on (what I consider) a pretty conservative schedule, based on it's USE, not date of manufacture.

As a rule, I ask what the manufacture date is on a helmet before I buy it. I'm good with a helmet that's a year...or even two...old as long as it hasn't been on display at a store. If it'll make you feel better, call a few other dealers and see what the mfr. date is on that exact model helmet. You'll likely see that "older" helmets are usualy discounted more....and if you find a newer one, see if they'll price match!

Just about everything has a "shelf life" -- especially items made from petro-chemicals (what isn't?). The 'light ends' keep-on 'gassing' and what remains, after a sufficient period of time, may be different than what it was in the beginning(?).

Like with most things..., "Use it or lose it." :eek: :)

I posted this mainly for the entertainment value (figured I'd get trashed more than I did) as I had planned on keeping it, but was curious to see what others would say as there are many opinions on helmet retirement. My mistake was not waiting until today to post this and for that I apologize. Thanks all for playing. Oh, before I go, which type of oil should I be running? :rolleyes:

CAJW Posted Oct 23 2009, 07:38 AMI posted this mainly for the entertainment value (figured I'd get trashed more than I did) as I had planned on keeping it, but was curious to see what others would say as there are many opinions on helmet retirement
You actually bring up a good subject, but don't you think that the shelf life on any product is determined on many circumstances surrounding the way it is stored and what elements it may be subjected to while sitting on some shelf somewhere. If [your] helmet was out of the box and sitting outside, I would be concerned. But sitting in a semi dark room and completely boxed up away from ultra-violet light and extreme temperature differences, your helmet should last well beyond what you would consider a usable life span. tend to think that regardless of the product, be it a motorcycle helmet of a pharmaceutical, when a manufacturer applies a shelf life, liability issues probably play a huge part in what is determined.

You received a great deal on an outstanding helmet. Even if you only use it for say, 3 years, you still were able to use a upper end helmet for the price of an economy helmet.

BTW, I paid $400 for the Shoei, which is a good deal, but not @ $150 lid which I would expect to have an old manufacture date.

Bummer, I'm just about to put a pair of near-new X-11s up for sale cheap. Tried 'em...going back to AGV.

My brand-new 2010 model Z1R Venom has a build date of May 2009 on it, and for $130 out the door, I ain't gonna worry too much about replacing it in 3 more years (or sooner). Bonus- it's ECE certified!
Toecutter; Had picked that helmet out to order also; Still gonna buy it probably next week after the rally. Could not find anyone who carries the ?Z1R in all of Houston.

Tell me, how did it fit? Wondered how it's fitment would be in relation to other helmets. It looks solid, does it feel as solid as it looks?

I am still in Limbo with my new AGV-Stealth.....Still want a second lid also.