New home away from home

Help Support FJRForum:

infrared

Members++
Reaction score
Near the Great Salt Lake, Utah, USA, Sol III.
RDrasher,

I lived in a wandering truck camper for a dozen years. Can't beat the price of civilized "camping." Now I have a house, but I still miss the truck. ;)

That said, it looks like a LOT of living space was surrendered to carry the bike. I could easily see a sideways mount, like an upgraded bumper mount across the back, outside of the camper. A box structure there would keep the bike safe and dry. Sure, what you got was what they had available, but unless you install a lot of shelving or storage cabinets around the bike, I suspect you may not be happy with the design for very long.

I saw a pivoting bumper mount for a bike, for motor homes. You roll the bike onto the wheel channel, flat at ground level, then an electric winch raises the channel to a position parallel and above the rear bumper. No ramps, no stress, easy on/easy off. Check out the "bumper-mount" bike lifters available. This is only ONE example, you can prolly go cheaper, or better:

Motorcycle lifter

Panman

Members++
Reaction score
This is how I take my Tenere, I take the ten as it has the crash bars to tie on to. The only downside is it gets dirty going down the road if it rains.
Motor%20Home%20with%20lift%20and%20car_zpsxiaqelks.jpg

allrider

eat, sleep, ride, repeat
Reaction score
Nice rigs you got there boys. Them are some big bikes to haul around. I been looking at hauling something smaller that the wife might like to ride by herself.

rdrasher

Members++
Reaction score
RDrasher,

I lived in a wandering truck camper for a dozen years. Can't beat the price of civilized "camping." Now I have a house, but I still miss the truck. ;)

That said, it looks like a LOT of living space was surrendered to carry the bike. I could easily see a sideways mount, like an upgraded bumper mount across the back, outside of the camper. A box structure there would keep the bike safe and dry. Sure, what you got was what they had available, but unless you install a lot of shelving or storage cabinets around the bike, I suspect you may not be happy with the design for very long.

I saw a pivoting bumper mount for a bike, for motor homes. You roll the bike onto the wheel channel, flat at ground level, then an electric winch raises the channel to a position parallel and above the rear bumper. No ramps, no stress, easy on/easy off. Check out the "bumper-mount" bike lifters available. This is only ONE example, you can prolly go cheaper, or better:

Motorcycle lifter
I grabbed this model mainly to do trackdays with my 2 bikes and some camping with the wife. I've had enough sitting under a canopy in full leathers and gear (too lazy to change between sessions) on 90+ degree weather down here in FL. A queen sized bed comes down from the roof of the garage on a motorized track, so that helps with some of the lost living area. I'll have to check out those bumper mounts. Thx