New **INSANE *** IBA Ride Just Completed!!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
The following Iron Butt Association notice was just released this afternoon:

11 riders have completed the first Los Angeles City 1000, or LA1K of common sense, as George Zelenz named this unique event.
Riders completed “17 laps of Hell A” (a reference to the hellish LA traffic) of some of the most insane traffic in the world all within the corporate city limits of Los Angeles. That is 1,021 safe miles through traffic that at many times was barely moving. Patience and smooth riding was the key to a safe finish. Not one accident, or close call, was reported and no one in the group got a ticket. What a dedicated and professional set of Iron Butt Association riders!

Ray Blair CA 11/18/06 Honda GL1800 1,021

Al Ladner CA 11/18/06 Yamaha FJR1300 1,021

Tom Melchild CA 11/18/06 Yamaha FJR1300 1,021

Hal Risser CA 11/18/06 Yamaha FJR1300 1,021

Bob Mueller CA 11/18/06 Suzuki DL1000 1,021

David L. Hicks CA 11/18/06 Yamaha FJR1300 1,021

Tom Sperry CA 11/18/06 BMW K1200LT 1,021

Rosie Sperry (passenger) 11/18/06 BMW K1200LT 1,021

Steve Fry CA 11/18/06 Yamaha FJR1300 1,021

Holley Harrison CA 11/18/06 Honda GL1800 1,021

George Zelenz CA 11/18/06 Yamaha FJR1300 1,021

Out thanks also go out to our IBA team of witnesses that worked in three shifts to cover the 24 hour event clock. The first shit was handled by Frank Ziegler and Dave McQueeney. Mike Carter and Dennis Cunningham handled second shift with Dean Tanji, Sean Ward and Dave McQueeney handling the early AM Sunday morning duties. Without them, ground-breaking rides like this would not be possible.

Next up on deck, the San Francisco 1000 :)

Mike Kneebone

+1 on the insane part... different strokes for different folks -- but who in the world would wanna put up with 10000 miles of LA traffic??

that's just too weird..

+1 on the insane part... different strokes for different folks -- but who in the world would wanna put up with 10000 miles of LA traffic??
that's just too weird..
Might be giving them 9,000 miles too much credit ;) ,but I would suggest it's the similar personality that would want to do this sort of ride in New York City, Washington D.C., or the 11 miles of Deals Gap. The list is small, but unique.

Plus they keep therapists employed...they're contributing to the economy.

Way to go folks! If it weren't 2400+ to get there with lots of snowy, tall things in the way I would loved to have gone! My therapist says I'm making good progress.

I find that kind of cute that I was a witness and do not even remember being their. +1 on their achievement.

devanator/Mike Carter

hmmm but still on big roads? anyone can do that? not that it was easy but come on its still hwy riding?

this is one of the reasons i did the 24 hours of deals gap,a riders 1,000 and not just a stay awake ride!

congrats to all for their ss1000!!!!!

I think you guys are missing the tone of the event. ;) The tee shirts read "We Were Stupid First" :fool:

I say that's a statement made. More will do city SS1Ks. God only knows why, but they will. :rolleyes:

Way to go Hal, Dave (Dave? :blink: DAVE! :good: ), George and others! I used to do that in the cage in two days. Never thunk to do it on the bike in 1. Doh! :lol:

Question, who did the route planning and how'd you determine the best route for the 1k? Did you just go roundy-round or stagger the route?

This is a good achievement, but I didn't think rides like this were sanctioned by the IBA. You know the going from point A to point B 11 times rule.

What was the final verdict on Yellowwolf and his Deals Gap ride? Will he get an ss1k?

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a good achievement, but I didn't think rides like this were sanctioned by the IBA. You know the going from Pensacola to Tallahasse 11 times rule.
What was the final verdict on Yellowwolf and his Deals Gap ride? Will he get an ss1k?

nope------ the speed limit was 30 and i averaged 42 or so,speeding is against the iron butt rules,no biggie i did it for me and the challenge,a reg iron butt did not do it for me anyway!

Way to go Hal, Dave (Dave? :blink: DAVE! :good: ), George and others! I used to do that in the cage in two days. Never thunk to do it on the bike in 1. Doh! :lol:
Question, who did the route planning and how'd you determine the best route for the 1k? Did you just go roundy-round or stagger the route?
Thanks, Tim !

There's gonna be a write-up on the forum once I scrape together some pictures.

As to the route - predefined. All within the city limits of LA. You could run each lap clockwise or counter clockwise - 17 times.

Lather, Rinse, Repeat.

I'm gonna have a beer and go to bed.

G'nite.

P.S. - Dave is a machine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats !

Isn't this type of thing a little masochistic ? I mean, more than a regular SS1K ... I probably would've bailed, after a couple of laps because it would've seemed like being a hamster in one of those wheelie thingies (that's just me I guess)...

:unsure:

There's gonna be a write-up on the forum once I scrape together some pictures.
Cool! Can't wait!

As to the route - predefined. All within the city limits of LA. You could run each lap clockwise or counter clockwise - 17 times.

What, is this a riddle or sumpin'? :lol: Great, now I'll be doing the math on all the possible circuits you guys used... Lessee, 101, 10, 405, 101, 10, 405... wait, no that's horrid traffic... 110, 105 - bah! You realize of course that this will keep me up all friggin' night now, don't you? :blink:

P.S. - Dave is a machine.
No shit! They musta stuffed in a nuclear reactor when they cracked him open last year! Amazing. Simply amazing! :amazedsmiley:

This is a good achievement, but I didn't think rides like this were sanctioned by the IBA. You know the going from point A to point B 11 times rule.
Sanctioned if you get pre-approval, line up appropriate witness, etc. It's been in both Washington D.C. and New York City before....within the speed limit.

I moved 500 miles north so I wouldn't have to ride LA traffic anymore. So when a friend asks if I want to ride a 1021 miles of LA freeways I ask are you nuts? Of coarse I do.

Riding 1000 miles of LA freeways sucks, riding 500 mile south to do it with good friends- I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Bun burner completed on way home in 30 hours

San Francisco 1000? hmmmm

I moved 500 miles north so I wouldn't have to ride LA traffic anymore. So when a friend asks if I want to ride a 1021 miles of LA freeways I ask are you nuts? Of coarse I do. Riding 1000 miles of LA freeways sucks, riding 500 mile south to do it with good friends- I wouldn't miss it for the world.

She-ot! Damn, I need a new 'script... Missed your name on that list. Good on ya Steve! 1k SF ride? Hmmm, I have a new receipt pouch that's tethered to the bike...

This is totally nuts. After commuting for more than a decade from NJ into Manhattan I can attest to the fact that people doing this for fun need professional help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

Iron butt? Okay. Head for the mountains, clear air, twisty roads, high speed straights...

I moved 500 miles north so I wouldn't have to ride LA traffic anymore. So when a friend asks if I want to ride a 1021 miles of LA freeways I ask are you nuts? Of coarse I do. Riding 1000 miles of LA freeways sucks, riding 500 mile south to do it with good friends- I wouldn't miss it for the world.

Steve, it's good to see that you made it home ok - you were looking like I felt - ridden hard, and put away wet!! :lol:

So - SF1K ? It does sound kind of interesting, eh? B)