New jacket help

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some bad news: There is no "perfect" gear for every weather occasion. That's one of the reasons that my closet is (ridiculously) full of many different options. That said, the gear that covers the most range is the Olympia Airglide mesh. With liners in you'll be comfortable down to maybe 45 degrees and without up as high as you can go. There is really nothing availbel with any substantial protection that will flow more air than the Airglide. Below 45 you really need a different (looser) setup so you can layer up, and / or use electrically heated liners.

So, +10 on the Olympia.
I disagree too. This thing is mesh, has really good protection, and liners. It and the Airglide are essentially the same thing from different companies: https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tourmaster-intake-air-series-2-jacket/

As for your closet, welllll, you're just a happy gear-whore like the rest of us. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I have some bad news: There is no "perfect" gear for every weather occasion. That's one of the reasons that my closet is (ridiculously) full of many different options. That said, the gear that covers the most range is the Olympia Airglide mesh. With liners in you'll be comfortable down to maybe 45 degrees and without up as high as you can go. There is really nothing availbel with any substantial protection that will flow more air than the Airglide. Below 45 you really need a different (looser) setup so you can layer up, and / or use electrically heated liners.

So, +10 on the Olympia.
I disagree too. This thing is mesh, has really good protection, and liners. It and the Airglide are essentially the same thing from different companies: https://www.webbikeworld.com/r4/tourmaster-intake-air-series-2-jacket/

As for your closet, welllll, you're just a happy gear-whore like the rest of us. :p
I was riding with a Tourmaster before getting my Airmesh jacket. The Airmesh puts the Tourmaster to shame when it comes to air flow and protection.

I'm also in the market for a new jacket (and pants). Lost a little over 45 pounds now, with another 5 or so to go, and my FirstGear 2011 Overpants and Kili 5.0 no longer fit. Will need to sell them eventually. I have my mesh gear for summer, but want something that'll span 3 seasons so I can reserve the mesh for the hottest of days only. I prefer the added protection of full textile.

Gear searching is difficult, since a lot of them fail my two biggest criteria: 1) must be waterproof, and 2) must not have a whole lot of velcro.

2.5 years of riding and I've done probably 18k+ miles in rain or wet conditions. I want something to keep me dry. I also prefer something that has a waterproof shell, as opposed to having to carry around a liner for that. As for velcro, I absolutely hate the stuff. Just feels tacky, and tears up my gear or snags on stuff if I'm not paying uber attention. One reason I went with the Kili over other models, since the main flap uses buttons as opposed to velcro. It has kept me dry and warm throughout the Seattle winter (monsoon season and ~20 degree temps). Really enjoyed it, but now it no longer fits and makes me look like a five-year old trying to wear his daddy's jacket. Just doesn't look or feel right.

Just noticed that Motorcycle Gear has the TPG Rainier for $499, plus $165 rebate...or TPG Teton for $469, plus $155 rebate. Could put the rebate towards a $229 pair of FG 2011 Overpants again...

I'd really love to move on to an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants combo :dribble: , but I don't have that much $$$ right now. Maybe once I've finished with school and get a slightly better paying job. Thought about the one-piece units, which would be great for commuting, but not so much when stopping at a Honey Bucket to use the loo in the middle of no-where.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.

So, +10 on the Olympia.

I was riding with a Tourmaster before getting my Airmesh jacket. The Airmesh puts the Tourmaster to shame when it comes to air flow and protection.
Another vote for the Olympia gear from a former Roadcrafter guy. I've use it only for about 3000 miles so far, and only from 50 to 103F, but I love it.

Motorcyclegear.com has a good closeout deal on right now on the Joe Rocket Alter Ego jacket. Supposed to be lots of colours and sizes left. It's a 3-season jacket with lots of versatility. Might be worth a look.

My link

My brother wears a perforated leather scorpion jacket, and says it's the coolest jacket he's ever had. I told him i think leather is to heavy and is no good for rain, even with the zip out liner...water and leather not a good combo.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Also one of the biggest reasons i bought the BMW jacket was that it's waterproof with out a liner to fool around with.

I agree with you. Leather is great in fair weather. For all else, and when you don't know what the weather will be like three days out on the road, a waterproof textile jacket is the way to go. But in the summer even they can be oppressively hot and uncomfortable, which is where mesh and a rain over-suit come in handy.

I also use the Olympia Airglide, but have closer to 50K miles on my outfit. It is the perfect year-round setup. I have ridden from 100 F to 32 F with this gear.

+1 to this ^^^^^ - sure wish I had had this setup years ago. Plus it looks damned good - people are always commenting on it.

Thought about the one-piece units, which would be great for commuting, but not so much when stopping at a Honey Bucket to use the loo in the middle of no-where.

Any other ideas would be appreciated.
The Roadcrafter comes off so quick and easy that the occasional stop at the honeybucket in the middle of nowhere just takes a couple seconds to doff the suit and do your #2. business. It's not like this is something that needs to be done multiple times a day, and a little planning before or after the ride or perhaps at lunch means this is a rare occurrance. If you're talking about #1, then just pull unzip to below where your peepee comes out and you're ready.

My brother wears a perforated leather scorpion jacket, and says it's the coolest jacket he's ever had. I told him i think leather is to heavy and is no good for rain, even with the zip out liner...water and leather not a good combo.

Anyone have an opinion on this?

Also one of the biggest reasons i bought the BMW jacket was that it's waterproof with out a liner to fool around with.
I used to ride with a perforated leather jacket and pants with a rain suit over the top. This was during my attempt to save money and not have to drag multiple jackets on long trips to deal with temp's from 35F to 105F.

What I found is that the leather is great up to a point. It was way too hot above 90F (85F when humid), and too cold below 65F, when I would have to put on the rainsuit. In warm rain the leather soaked up the water and never dried. WHen it started to rain I had to make the call whether to pull over and put on the rain suit .. if I was wrong about the rain, I was either a) wet and cold or B) hot and steamy and always c) standing on the side of the road struggling with a rain suit. The final death knell to leather came when I had to layer underneath it for warmth which stretched it out and then it never fit right again.

That's when I broke down and bought the Roadcrafter, and I haven't found anything better so far.

There is really nothing availbel with any substantial protection that will flow more air than the Airglide
I disagree. Motoport Air Mesh Jackets. IMO the best protection you can buy, backed by the best warranty in the market. With my rain/wind liner out it feels like I am not wearing a jacket. The wind flows right through.
No, Fred W. is right.

Any riding gear that requires a zip-in liner for wind/water protection suffers from the need to remove the jacket to don/doff the liner. The perfect jacket will simply have vents that you can open/close while riding, and by "open" I mean "open to allow enough airflow to be comfy at any temp". The Roadcrafter does not fit that criteria because I am not comfortable above 90-100F (depending on humidity) in my 'stich.

You could qualify it with "perfect for where you live and the riding you do". But I don't live in Virginia in a temperate climate. I live in Minnesota where summer mornings are typically in the high 50's, daytime high's in the humid upper 80's, and we get weekly thunderstorms. Or consider a ride starting in Portland, OR. Start at sea level at a sunny 70F, two hours later you're at 6000 ft and 50F. Another hour and you're at 4000F and 95F. Then reverse it as you head home to Portland and it might raining. Or go west to a cooler and mistier coast after crossed a 3000-ft rainforest.

When I lived in Portland I had to stop multiple times to take off the stupid jacket to add/remove the stupid liner. It was a PITA.

These are the extremes which test equipment and so far ... there isn't one piece of gear that will keep you comfy and convenient in all situations. If you start to limit the situations .. then you're redefining what "perfect" means.

OK .. editing this .. because I misread something.

Fred W. is right in that there is no "perfect" jacket. Blind Squirrel is probably right that the Motoport has great protection and flows lots of air. What I missed is that Blind Squirrel was only referring to the protection vs. airflow compromise (if any). But in the bigger picture, the Motoport will not easily adapt to changing conditions, and in that scope, I am with Fred in that there is no perfect jacket that will flow air when you want it, repel water when you want it, provide full protection when you need it, and do it all conveniently.

I'm still waiting for the membrane that will have pores like GoreTex but the pore size varies with temperature and moisture, or even be electrically adjustable.

@ Aasland: You are correct in that I was only speaking to air flow and overall protection. I too agree that there is no perfect jacket that will flow air when you want it, repel water when you want it, provide full protection when you need it, and do it all conveniently.

Tourmaster Transition 2 for long trips. Waterproof, with vents that open with one hand so you don't have to pull over, armoured, lots a pockets, hi viz yellow. I wear a muscle shirt underneath because on really hot days it needs air flow.

I just bough an air intake 2 jacket from Tourmaster, because on short local trips I didn't get up to highway speeds and the air flow sucked. I'm impressed with how wind/water proof it is, I might start wearing it on colder days, but have yet to travel on a long trip with it.

The wife and I had the same issues. She's a passenger 2-4 times a year for longwer trips, what to do? We ended up buying her the Transition 2 jacket because we thought there's nothing worse than being cold and 200 miles away, whereas heat, you can just deal with it.

Tourmaster Flex pants, offers multiseason variations.

There is no one outfit...yet

I just bough an air intake 2 jacket from Tourmaster
For the price, I don't think the Intake can be beat. I've had mine for 2 years and ridden about 50K Miles with it. I've ridden at freezing (with heated liner and without, prefer the heated liner) and up past 100F. Its kept me dry in anything less than a frog choker at hwy speeds.

Now all that being said, I just bought a Scorpion Commander Jacket. I'm REAL sure I don't want to be wearing it in temps above 80F! Most of my riding takes place at cooler temps though and I think the Scorpion is better able to handle that (I've yet to use my heated liner this year despite at running a bunch of days near freezing). My issue with the Intake is the fit with all the liners removed. It gets baggy, so much so I have real concerns whether the armor would stay where it's needed in the even I need it. I still have the Intake and I'll use it when the temps rise up to where I think I need it.

The problem with the mesh + liners combo is when you already have the liners in and need to go to the rainsuit. Instant sauna.

Still, if I was in the market for some good 3 season gear at a reasonable price, I'd recommend the Intake.

Just noticed that Motorcycle Gear has the TPG Rainier for $499, plus $165 rebate...
I can vouch for this jacket...it saved my skin in a lowside and slide a couple of months ago. Despite multiple rib fractures from the impact I'd say the d3o armor did its job - right shoulder of the jacket was pretty torn up - and I came out of the incident with zero road rash. The jacket is light, comfortable, waterproof, and vents well. Too, this jacket comes with a 2 year crash warranty, which FG honored no problem, I had a new jacket within a week of sending the old one in.

I'd really love to move on to an Aerostich Darien jacket and pants combo :dribble:
This is the combo I'm likely going with for the IBR. Although the FG has a ton of pockets, I prefer the Darien's two big chest pockets over the FG's multiple smaller ones.

The problem with the mesh + liners combo is when you already have the liners in and need to go to the rainsuit. Instant sauna.
s' truth!

Most of the time in the northeast when it rains it also gets cooler, so it isn't a big problem.

With the Airglide gear I carry the liners in case it gets cold and an outer rain suit in case of deluge. Although the liners are waterproof, I do not use them that way. But when it is (freakishly?) warm and raining it's still a sauna with the rain gear on, so I'll just skip it and let myself get wet.

I suppose that doesn't work so well for the commuter crowd... ;)

For overall use in all conditions, I'd recommend the Firstgear Kilimanjaro. All weather protection, excellent ventilation for hot days ( chest, armpit and back zip vents), removable inner liner. I've wrn it comfortably from 30 to 114 degrees F. No need for rain gear. Paired with HT over pants, with ld comfort ls shirt and tighs, it's all you need.