New Jersey To Washington State

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mogan

Reaction score
Need to head West in roughly 5 days. Any suggestions on route(s) that are more interesting than the interstate without adding undue distance/time to the trip?

That will tend to be contradictory since the Interstate system is pretty much designed to be the quickest and shortest.

That said, I live on the Washington end of the equation and can think of some possibles that add time and distance, but also add a bunch of fun factor to the equation.

Assuming you're going on I-90 to Seattle here's an option:

Turn south at Missoula, MT on 93. Right at Lolo on 12 to Orofino, Idaho through the Clearwater National Forest along the Lochsa and Clearwater Rivers. Some positively breathtaking scenery and twisties. When you get to Lewiston you're out of the mountains with some spectecular vistas. 216 miles for that leg.

From there pick one of the many options across Eastern Washington "Palouse" wheat field country and join back up to I-90 at Ritzville. This option equals 340 miles vs. 257 if you went exclusively on the I-90 slab. It adds 3 hours to the trip, if you values smiles vs. miles--you'll love it.

Lewiston was the home of the Western FJR Owners meeting in 2004 for a reason. Highway 12 was one of them.

Advise where specifically in Washington you're headed and I might be able to illustrate other options.