New member hopefully :)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigBlueF1

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I may or may not become a member of this awesome community depending on if I buy this 2006 FJR this coming weekend. Im leaning towards buying it I just am short with a 28" inseam(?) And have some concerns but based on all Ive read I think I should be okay.

I am glad to have foubd this community. Seems like a bunch of great riders with experience on here. Hope to post more soon :)

29" inseam here, 7/8s Kouba links, Corbin seat, slipped the front forks 1/2" gets me lower to the ground. Much more comfortable at stops and slow mo stuff. YMMV. 😉

Use your dirt skills and understand both feet flat on the ground is not required as long as you are mindful. What is comfy when the wheels are turning? When stopped, you can walk the thing around from the side if needed.

BigBlueF1,

Welcome to the FJR sandbox! As for buying the bike, search far and wide. Don't get "tunnel vision" on any one bike. Many FJRs come home in a trailer or truck. Mine came shipped from the MidWest USA. The Fly'n'Ride option is popular, here. Tempest will search every CraigsList in the USA. If nothing else, it will give you a good idea of selling prices.
www.searchtempest.com

Thick soles on your boots (waffle-stompers) will bring the Earth closer. You will be walking taller, which is a Good Thing, but be careful on steps and curbs at first. I use Light Tactical Combat boots with side zippers, but suit yourself. Corbin seats are firm, but lower than the others. If it fits you, a Corbin seat can be good help. Be aware, a lowered bike needs a shortened side stand, and the center stand may need a board under the rear wheel to be usable. I had my side stand cut down and welded at the foot, that worked well; I seldom use the center stand.

29" inseam here, 7/8s Kouba links, Corbin seat, slipped the front forks 1/2" gets me lower to the ground. Much more comfortable at stops and slow mo stuff. YMMV. 😉
Im so excited. Thanks for sharing your experience. Did slipping the forks down 1/2" make a big difference in turning or any other thing? One of the members sent me an email on how to shave down the seat pan and do all the neccessaries to be flat footed. This bike seems so cool.

Use your dirt skills and understand both feet flat on the ground is not required as long as you are mindful. What is comfy when the wheels are turning? When stopped, you can walk the thing around from the side if needed.
This gave me some confidence. I will take it easy and learn how to move it. Thank you!

BigBlueF1,

Welcome to the FJR sandbox! As for buying the bike, search far and wide. Don't get "tunnel vision" on any one bike. Many FJRs come home in a trailer or truck. Mine came shipped from the MidWest USA. The Fly'n'Ride option is popular, here. Tempest will search every CraigsList in the USA. If nothing else, it will give you a good idea of selling prices.
www.searchtempest.com

Thick soles on your boots (waffle-stompers) will bring the Earth closer. You will be walking taller, which is a Good Thing, but be careful on steps and curbs at first. I use Light Tactical Combat boots with side zippers, but suit yourself. Corbin seats are firm, but lower than the others. If it fits you, a Corbin seat can be good help. Be aware, a lowered bike needs a shortened side stand, and the center stand may need a board under the rear wheel to be usable. I had my side stand cut down and welded at the foot, that worked well; I seldom use the center stand.
Hi there, thank you for the info. Ill look into those boots. I have some boots but the heels arent so big so I might need to upgrade.

That website looks really useful. I have never heard of it until now. Ill check it out :)

As for the side stand and center stand, someone on here sent me an email with the diagrams to shave down the seat pan and shorten the side and center stand as well as how to weld them. I think Ill first mess with the seat then when ready to weld Ill do one at a time. I just dont want to buy a new seat, they are so expensive!

Thank you! If you are interested I can send you what he sent me also.

Im so excited. Thanks for sharing your experience. Did slipping the forks down 1/2" make a big difference in turning or any other thing? One of the members sent me an email on how to shave down the seat pan and do all the neccessaries to be flat footed. This bike seems so cool.
Slipping the forks does improve the handling somewhat. 😉

Welcome to the forum.
To put the bike up on the center stand to check the oil level, cooling fluid, etc. place a 2x6 or 8 which has been cut at a 45 at one end, in front of the rear tire. You roll the bike up onto the 2x6 and it is easy to then lift the bike to put down the center stand.