New Member - Washington

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveO311

Reaction score
Hello from the Great Northwest, Olympia Washington!

I am a first time FJR owner. I relinquished my Concours for a shinny new FJR. First bike ever with electronic suspension. I have put 2300 miles on since purchase a month ago. Just returned from four days around eastern Oregon and Idaho. Thus far the FJR is impressive, with mileage bumping 50 MPG as a bonus. Only complaint is the flimsy little straps in the bags and the throttle has very lose feel, hardly any resistance when rolling it on. I thought about maybe adding a light spring on the end of the throttle cable but had no luck finding an easy way to accomplish that. If anyone has any ideas about how to add a little friction to the throttle I would appreciate your input.  

SteveO

Hello from Wenatchee,  there is usually an annual tech day at a members place near Auburn. Had to cancel this year, but keep looking here for next year. 

Gawd, am I getting old when I still think many look to release some tension on their throttles??  :umm:

Welcome to the collective SteveO.  Those bag straps are one of the minor niggles with the bike but most just get used to them.  Do a search if you can't get past them though as I've seen some suggestions for improvements.

Welcome from up north SteveO, and congrats on the new '20! '007 mentioned you were going to join soon...you've come to the right place for all things FJR. I did a eastern OR loop a few weeks ago on the way to the La Pine Reuben Run. Lots of good times were had at Fossil & WRR!

~G

Bag straps?  One of the first things I do to any FJR I purchase is remove those silly things.

You are the first person I have ever seen take issue with the throttle being too light. In the days before the throttle-by-wire system (and cruise control), many of us would unwind the throttle return spring one rotation to reduce the effort.  It could get tiring on long trips.

Perhaps you just have too much throttle free play?

The FJR tends to come from initial setup with a lot of slop in the throttle cable. You can adjust it out and it will feel tons better. Just check when adjusting that "lock-to-lock" handlebar movement doesn't bind the throttle. If so, add back a little slack until it doesn't.

Thanks to all for your "Welcome Aboard" support. I have enjoyed wandering through threads learning more about the bike as well as members. 

I did adjust as much slack from the throttle cable as I could and that did indeed give the throttle a better feel. I still wasn't completely satisfied with the results so I added a Kaoko throttle lock. This was the only throttle lock with a set screw just for the purpose of adding friction (Resistance) to the throttle grip I could find. It actually works very well. The throttle is nice and smooth with no more "Loosey-Goosey". Gives me ability to fine tune the grip. 

I'm sure some of you think I'm as goofy as a pet coon, eh? Riding a motorcycle to me is all about feel and I had no confidence in managing the rear tire with that sloppy throttle.   

Thanks to all for your "Welcome Aboard" support. I have enjoyed wandering through threads learning more about the bike as well as members. 

I did adjust as much slack from the throttle cable as I could and that did indeed give the throttle a better feel. I still wasn't completely satisfied with the results so I added a Kaoko throttle lock. This was the only throttle lock with a set screw just for the purpose of adding friction (Resistance) to the throttle grip I could find. It actually works very well. The throttle is nice and smooth with no more "Loosey-Goosey". Gives me ability to fine tune the grip. 

I'm sure some of you think I'm as goofy as a pet coon, eh? Riding a motorcycle to me is all about feel and I had no confidence in managing the rear tire with that sloppy throttle.   
That's the best thing about farkling, we all make the bike our own with our mods.

Welcome fellow Washingtonian ( hate saying that word now). I'm in Poulsbo, not to far from you. Always looking for people to ride with, hit me sometime.

Welcome. My riding buddy has a Concours and I could not stand the handling. I know I am getting old, but I felt weak steering the thing. I hope you find many happy miles on your FJR. Cheers

Bag straps?  One of the first things I do to any FJR I purchase is remove those silly things.

You are the first person I have ever seen take issue with the throttle being too light. In the days before the throttle-by-wire system (and cruise control), many of us would unwind the throttle return spring one rotation to reduce the effort.  It could get tiring on long trips.

Perhaps you just have too much throttle free play?
I will be removing my straps as well. Worthless. 

Welcome and enjoy. I put 11,000 miles on my new 2020 FJR1300ES in the first 15 weeks of owning it, before winter hit. Love it! 

I did adjust as much slack from the throttle cable as I could and that did indeed give the throttle a better feel.
You don't want to remove too much of the slack in the throttle cable.  Look at the owner's manual for guidance but if there is little or no freeplay, the throttle can bind - especially when the bars are turned fully in one direction or the other.  Freeplay or slack is different from too much/too little spring in the throttle return.

Welcome and congrats on a great switch. What I wouldn't give to live where you can ride in the winter. Cheers.