Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Dollar

Reaction score
Hi folks! Longtime lurker, just because a member. First of all, what a wonderful and well organized forum this is. Secondly, I purchased a lightly used 2018 FJR alpha, late last year and realized it’s not the bike for me, because it lacks personality. Previously I owned and rode a 2000 Triumph Sprint S/T and absolutely loved every mile of the 63K that I rode on her. Prior to that my experience was all dirt/road mixed on a 1984 Honda XL 600R Monza Red thumper, very enjoyable time in my life. So in conclusion, I’m thankful for such a great forum and intend to list my FJR for sale here shortly because someone here will enjoy the bike more than I have, enjoy your holiday weekend.

I am currently in the process of listing and selling the Triumph. I enjoyed keeping her in top shape and parts are getting more difficult to find. I had a no speed tip over event two years ago that damaged the fairing and it cannot be replaced in it’s original color anymore. I just can’t glue and forget about it.

Mr.Dollar,
To each his own, no problem. I wanted to suggest that you might check out the vinyl wraps (3M, et c.) to repair your Triumph plastics, as an alternative to paint. Repair and sand smooth the plastics, then apply films. YouTube can show you how, even for complex shapes.

Ha! Personality. So you'll be getting an Aprillia, Moto Guzzi, or the like. Who cares if the bike works or rides well. As long as it has a good personality. Whatever. I'm sure the next owner will enjoy it.

Ha! Personality. So you'll be getting an Aprillia, Moto Guzzi, or the like. Who cares if the bike works or rides well. As long as it has a good personality. Whatever. I'm sure the next owner will enjoy it.
Meosborn,
You’re correct on the engineering side. The FJR always ran superbly but it seemed to do that underneath me and not with me. I reached my destination but rarely enjoyed the ride. Similar to a car ride but much different than my prior riding experiences when I actually arrived with a smile.
I can only assume that your reference to Aprilia (notice correct spelling) and Moto Guzzi are build quality related references. No I will not be considering those brands.

Sometimes, you have to help them gain a personality. Cafe shield, custom fairing striping. Map of Texas always does the trick.
Super13,
I agree with your response to a certain point, let me explain. I bought the FJR late in the riding season last year and rode it down to TN to ride the dragon and smokies. I knew after that trip that the bike needed a personality change because I didn’t enjoy myself during those miles onboard. Following that we entered the non riding snow season here in Wisconsin and I started creating a dream sheet of potential changes for the bike. By springtime I had a few thousand dollar list of things that might make the FJR more enjoyable to ride for me. Or they might not and I’d waste another riding season figuring it out.
Thanks for reading my post and responding. I’m happy you’ve created an FJR that you enjoy riding but I’ve decided that I’m selling mine.

I couldn't care less what bike you ride. Or if you think the FJR has "personality". I was just taking the opportunity to mock a troll. Which is obviously a double edged sword since responding to a troll is obviously the original intent of trolling.

The deal isn't that the FJR has no personality. It's just that the "personality" doesn't appear until you start dancing around the upper limits (like most bikes). If it's personality doesn't appear at public road speeds, then it's envelope is probably higher than what you've been used to.

So... push it harder or get a bike for which "pushing harder" means to speed limit.

Hi folks! Longtime lurker, just because a member. First of all, what a wonderful and well organized forum this is. Secondly, I purchased a lightly used 2018 FJR alpha, late last year and realized it’s not the bike for me, because it lacks personality. Previously I owned and rode a 2000 Triumph Sprint S/T and absolutely loved every mile of the 63K that I rode on her. Prior to that my experience was all dirt/road mixed on a 1984 Honda XL 600R Monza Red thumper, very enjoyable time in my life. So in conclusion, I’m thankful for such a great forum and intend to list my FJR for sale here shortly because someone here will enjoy the bike more than I have, enjoy your holiday weekend.
Glad you are a part of the community now! Woo hoo!! I don't blame you for how you feel about the FJR. I have had an FJR for almost 14 years. I'm a part of the motorcycle racing industry. I have ridden so many bikes and different kinds of bikes. I have ridden some of top bikes made that people love w/ all there hearts and feel like they are the best bikes made. ln 6 days I will be the owner of a brand new 2022 FJR. For the past year I have owned a 2012 BMW 1600. It is an amazing bike. Something struck me for the first time as I read your post here. It is probably not something new I'm sure. It is this: I'm not so sure bikes have personalities. (They might). You and I and everyone else has a personality. I think the FJR brings out my personality like no other bike can. Even the K1600. Most bikes are really good bikes. And, all bikes have some kind of a problem. But there are only a few bikes or maybe just one that really brings out your personality. And, for me, it is the FJR1300. Just a thought..... Hope you find a bike that brings out your personality. :)

I couldn't care less what bike you ride. Or if you think the FJR has "personality". I was just taking the opportunity to mock a troll. Which is obviously a double edged sword since responding to a troll is obviously the original intent of trolling.
This back and fourth with you seems more personal than it was ever meant to be. I did not join this forum to bash FJRs and I am not trolling. I’ve done my best to describe my experience with an FJR and respond to everyone who asked for further clarification/explanation regarding the personality comment. I also considered that someone here might like the bike and perhaps offer to purchase. That was my intent on joining the forum.
If I struck a nerve with you I apologize.

Glad you are a part of the community now! Woo hoo!! I don't blame you for how you feel about the FJR. I have had an FJR for almost 14 years. I'm a part of the motorcycle racing industry. I have ridden so many bikes and different kinds of bikes. I have ridden some of top bikes made that people love w/ all there hearts and feel like they are the best bikes made. ln 6 days I will be the owner of a brand new 2022 FJR. For the past year I have owned a 2012 BMW 1600. It is an amazing bike. Something struck me for the first time as I read your post here. It is probably not something new I'm sure. It is this: I'm not so sure bikes have personalities. (They might). You and I and everyone else has a personality. I think the FJR brings out my personality like no other bike can. Even the K1600. Most bikes are really good bikes. And, all bikes have some kind of a problem. But there are only a few bikes or maybe just one that really brings out your personality. And, for me, it is the FJR1300. Just a thought..... Hope you find a bike that brings out your personality. :)
FJRForever,

Thanks for the warm welcome and congratulations on the purchase of the ’22 FJR. Your explanation of my lack of personality comment with my FJR helped me understand the confusion others are having with that comment. If I go out to the garage and consider a drive in the car equal to or greater than the enjoyment received from riding a motorcycle then something’s wrong. Like I said earlier I enjoyed every mile on my Triumph for the 22 years I owned it. My Sprint made me smile ear to ear during technical rides. So when I purchased the FJR I expected similar or increased enjoyment and heck I rode what some consider the best highways in America during my trip to TN last year. I did not have a pleasurable riding experience or enjoyment. Meanwhile the FJR payments were upsetting me because I was paying for something that I didn’t enjoy. Would I have enjoyed my FJR experience more if I heavily modified it or rode it at astronomical speeds? Why would I do that when someone out there produces a motorcycle with riding characteristics that will make me smile. I just need to locate it and return to enjoyable motorcycling.

The deal isn't that the FJR has no personality. It's just that the "personality" doesn't appear until you start dancing around the upper limits (like most bikes). If it's personality doesn't appear at public road speeds, then it's envelope is probably higher than what you've been used to.

So... push it harder or get a bike for which "pushing harder" means to speed limit.
Bounce,

You make a valid point but I did not have to ride my previous motorcycles at extreme speeds to enjoy riding them. My best rides on the FJR were tipped in at higher speeds in long sweeping curves but that’s only one dimension and not enough for me to continue trying to enjoy motorcycling with a bike that’s not for me. I participated in track days and group rides on my Triumph with FJRs and never felt outmatched, so speed was not the issue for me. My issue was I was not enjoying the FJR.

FJRForever,

Thanks for the warm welcome and congratulations on the purchase of the ’22 FJR. Your explanation of my lack of personality comment with my FJR helped me understand the confusion others are having with that comment. If I go out to the garage and consider a drive in the car equal to or greater than the enjoyment received from riding a motorcycle then something’s wrong. Like I said earlier I enjoyed every mile on my Triumph for the 22 years I owned it. My Sprint made me smile ear to ear during technical rides. So when I purchased the FJR I expected similar or increased enjoyment and heck I rode what some consider the best highways in America during my trip to TN last year. I did not have a pleasurable riding experience or enjoyment. Meanwhile the FJR payments were upsetting me because I was paying for something that I didn’t enjoy. Would I have enjoyed my FJR experience more if I heavily modified it or rode it at astronomical speeds? Why would I do that when someone out there produces a motorcycle with riding characteristics that will make me smile. I just need to locate it and return to enjoyable motorcycling.
Oh yeah I get it. Thanks for the good response. For months I’ve been trying to find something else that I might like other than the FJR because I had it for so long. I just thought I would try something different. And people would say a certain bike was super wonderful. And that bike did look great and I loved all the characteristics that I read about it. But when I rode it it didn’t do anything for me. When others rode it they thought it was the greatest thing ever. And I thought how interesting it is at how different our perspectives are about a motorcycle. And riders of motorcycles are very passionate so sometimes when their bike gets dogged for whatever reason they take it personally. I don’t because I get it. I do hope you find the perfect bike for your yourself and that you’re able to find someone to buy your FJR that will love it also. It’s been great talking to you. Hope you can get it all figured out. Thank you.

Understood and I wasn't trying to knock your experiences. There have been people since the FJR hit the shores in 2002 (2003 model year), there have been those who prefer cruisers, sport bikes, and adventure bikes over it.

WRT performance envelopes: As I was noting, it's less about actual speed than about what speeds each design "let's loose its secrets".