New Philips H4 LED

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has definitely piqued my interest and now that Tom pointed out the coupon code, I find myself hovering over the 'add to cart'.

Increased light output and lower power consumption are definitely both on my wish list but (I know I will sound like a whiner) I am excited about the lifespan.

I absolutely hate having to change out the bulbs in my Gen III. At 52K the bike is now on its 5th set of bulbs. Original owner changed out OEM for PIAA before I bought it at 5K. 3 months/13K later replaced with Sylvania Silverstar (2 months/7K miles), Sylvania Xtravsion (6 months/25K-running mostly on hi beam during the day to extend overall life), Xtravsion (TBD). Each time is almost like reinventing the wheel. "Did I go from the top..bottom..turn the bars..damnit my wrist doesn't bend that way..a few choice words and then ah-ha got it. Now on to the right side....(at which point I remember) that's the tough one."

Aux lights are on my winter list but an upgraded headlight with fewer replacements would definitely be appreciated. This finally looks like a good LED replacement option designed and offered from a reputable company rather than ebay seller utrustme8962.

In most situations I would expect prices to drop and since riding season is practically over in Michigan there is really no rush. There is however a chance that Phillips/distributors could follow Garmin's lead on pricing and increase the price as it starts selling. I'm glad I picked up my Zumo 590 before jumped the price another $100.

The discount code really has me thinking...

Not a bad point. The Philips HID implementation of H4 was like $369 with ballasts, and it didn't include a high beam. You have already spent enough on incandescent bulbs to justify these LEDs. I have had better luck with my Chinese HIDs, but their time is coming.

I was an early adopter of the Garmin 590 as well and got a 20% discount on the lower price direct from Garmin as a warranty replacement.

But you have to ask yourself. how much "better" is a $215 pair of LEDs going to be over $20 H4 halogens? 10 times? Probably not.Yes, they take less power but power isn't a problem on these bikes and they do put out more light but how bad are the stock H4s?

Sounds like a soulution looking for a problem.

Headlights using LED light sources need to be designed with that in mind . Good aftermarket solutions seem very expensive and work only somewhat the same.

However, I will watch for a real world test. I may be surprised.

Still....$215 USD !?!?
No, no... you are missing an important piece of information. Monetary values of motorcycle modifications (aka farkles) is measured on a logarithmic scale. So you need to pay 3 times more for any 2x performance advantage. And when you seek a 10x improvement, be prepared to shell out 100 times more $$$ for that. ;)

But you have to ask yourself. how much "better" is a $215 pair of LEDs going to be over $20 H4 halogens? 10 times? Probably not.Yes, they take less power but power isn't a problem on these bikes and they do put out more light but how bad are the stock H4s?

Sounds like a soulution looking for a problem.

Headlights using LED light sources need to be designed with that in mind . Good aftermarket solutions seem very expensive and work only somewhat the same.

However, I will watch for a real world test. I may be surprised.

Still....$215 USD !?!?
No, no... you are missing an important piece of information. Monetary values of motorcycle modifications (aka farkles) is measured on a logarithmic scale. So you need to pay 3 times more for any 2x performance advantage. And when you seek a 10x improvement, be prepared to shell out 100 times more $$$ for that.
wink.png
Fredrick's Law of Constant Spending?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks El Toro Joe
The current promotion at XenonDepot is 20% off using the coupon code XMAS20. That makes these $215.00 shipped free. This is really got me itching considering the quality.
Just do it... Resistance was futile... I am your guinea pig. :punk:
Out of likes for the day, thanks for taking the bullet Tom!

--G

Hopefully we'll get your feedback before the coupon expires.

Thanks for trying them out!!!

Does the LED heat sink come off for installation and then plugged in for use? Can the rubber boot be used w/o chopping it up?
Looking at the very first image...very doubtful. It appears to be an extreme interference fit.
Thanks Matt, kinda what I thought too.

--G
Scroll down the linked-to page about two-thirds of the way down, there are detailed pictures of the bulb and its installation. The heatsink bit unscrews from the bulb, so the rubber boot can be slid over the wire up to the bulb.
Ahh...a threaded affair that's different than other LED conversions I've seen. So, I agree this particular LED would work with existing FJR boot seals. Thanks for the note!
Thanks for the research mcatrophy. Sounds like it's all up to Tom now!

--G

Thanks I'll look for your monetary appreciation when I post the review...first the price so you can gloat at me (or vice-versa).

1 12953BWX2 H4 12953BWX2 Philips X-treme Ultinon LED Bulb [DRL Upgrade:Without DRL] US $269.99

20% Off Your Order [12953BWX2] 1 -US $54.00

Subtotal: US $215.99

Tax: US $0.00

Shipping Cost: US $0.00

Grand Total: US $215.99

Almost ready to jump over the cliff with Tom..

Let's see, 216 for two.. 3 yr warranty..

how much did i pay for those Soltek HID's?

or the ClearWaters?

I don't like Tom anymore...
smile.png

Okay, cooler minds prevailed and I have for the moment cancelled my order on these. I became aware of a discrepancy in the light-output specifications last night. Instead of 2400 / 3200 lumen output, the Philips actually put out 1000 / 1500 lumins (lo/hi). I have revised the first post, and XenonDepot has revised the Specs page on their site.

• Lumens [lm]: 1000+/-15% Low Beam, 1250+/-15% High Beam
The Philips bulb turns out to be an OEM replacement that has a beam pattern AND brightness that could probably pass OEM specifications. The color temperature is much whiter, but the output is probably equivalent to upgraded halogen. I'm sure it puts the light where it needs to be, so scatter and dazzling should not be a problem. This should make the aftermarket haters happier, as much as it disappointing those of us that like to fire lasers down the road.

I'm currently running HID, and am pretty certain these would provide a better looking light, and tight compliance to original beam projection specifications. An output of 1000/1500 lumens is not bad, if it is properly directed, and I do have auxiliary lights. Still, a bit disappointed in that aspect. I'm not eliminating this from consideration, but I'm going to step in a bit more carefully. That's a lot of money for no significant light increase over OEM, in spite of improved color and 24 watts of power vs 55/60 per side.

Rats!
sheep.gif
IF these turn out to replicate the proper beam pattern precisely, maybe they (or someone) will come out with a high output version? I don't just want LED, I want a true 3000+ lumen LED.

Rats! :sheep: IF these turn out to replicate the proper beam pattern precisely, maybe they (or someone) will come out with a high output version? I don't just want LED, I want a true 3000+ lumen LED.
The cyclops option is 3800 lumen for each bulb. Was twice as bright as stock on my KTM. Excellent upgrade at $143 total for both bulbs and complete wire harness. Looks like it would cost $130 for a complete upgrade on the FJR.

I have a set of the LED's in my 2010 FJR and I am very happy with the light pattern, it covers farther out . I have had them in for about 5-6 months I did not reuse the rubber boots and so far it has not made any differance. My concern was would the fans get wet in the rain and short out but that has not happened I do see a bit of light inside the farring . so far I would say worth the money, of course I was thrilled with te stock lights compared to my GTS !!!