New PIAA Slimline Sports Horn

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haulinashe installed one PIAA horn and left the other stock so I got confused when they were mixed and matched. Also when discussing the draw of the horn(s) it wasn't clear to me if it was one horn or total draw of both combined. After reading post 7 again, it does appear that each PIAA horn draws less amps than each stock horn.
Not the way I read it. Jeff installed the PIAA 'Slimline' horns which draw less amps - approximately 3 amps or so each.

Clicky for the Slimline horns.

These other horns you all are mounting do draw more amps - approx 4 vs 3 per horn. Now whether that is too much or not I have no idea. Probably not. But just wanted to clarify the use of two different horns.

What I would like to know is if anyone has tried the Hella horns: Hella Horns.

I saw a review on several brands of horns a couple years ago and these took the prize as the loudest.

Last edited by a moderator:
whataboutbob said:
<!--quoteo(post=786149:date=Sep 8 2010, 07:33 PM:name=tesla)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (tesla @ Sep 8 2010, 07:33 PM) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=786149"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Haulinashe installed one PIAA horn and left the other stock so I got confused when they were mixed and matched. Also when discussing the draw of the horn(s) it wasn't clear to me if it was one horn or total draw of both combined. After reading post 7 again, it does appear that each PIAA horn draws less amps than each stock horn.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Not the way I read it. Jeff installed the PIAA 'Slimline' horns which draw less amps - approximately 3 amps or so each.

<a href="https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=piaa+slimline+horn" target="_blank">Clicky for the Slimline horns.</a>

These other horns you all are mounting do draw more amps - approx 4 vs 3 per horn. Now whether that is too much or not I have no idea. Probably not. But just wanted to clarify the use of two different horns.

What I would like to know is if anyone has tried the Hella horns: <a href="https://www.amazon.com/Hella-SuperTone-Horn-Kit-118/dp/B000CRZXPI/ref=pd_sbs_auto_3" target="_blank">Hella Horns.</a>

I saw a review on several brands of horns a couple years ago and these took the prize as the loudest.
I Installed the single piaa slimline horn.took less than 10 minutes and very loud.good product

Hey guys...........thanks for this awesome thread. I got my FJR back in the spring and swapping out the horns has been right up there at the top of the list! Of course, a few other farkles got added this summer :) The lack of plug n play options n having to do cutouts n such led me to delay.......but now :)

Anyway, as of 10/1, Amazon still has the horns ca.4amp horn set available (PIAA 85112 115db 500HZ + 600HZ Sports Horn). Going price once in cart at $41.55. The set are on order now!

I've got an 08 and plan on mounting them on the upper 10mm hex location and getting a can of black spray paint n stealthing over the nameplate. BTW, has anyone gone forward with trimming off the horn flair/opening to free up more space behind the front fork? Or is it just not necessary?

Sportryder Mike

No trimming required on my 08.

I would recommend replacing the button allen head bolt with something you can get a socket on.

I would recommend replacing the button allen head bolt with something you can get a socket on.

Thanks Scotty........yea yesterday when I was looking over the situation up where the horns are I had to look twice to find the upper screws mentioned. Also, it wasn't clear just how and where the attachment point was for the existing horns. It seemed like is was directly behind the horn?#$#?? The geometry doesn't seem quite like El Cajone's pics show. :(

Hey guys,

I am about to order the Piaa two tone horns - just wondering if there were any updates since the last posting. The local dealer insists, and there's an intuitive logic to what he's saying, that new horns cannot be louder unless there's a relay to supply additional power.

Any problems with installations without a relay since we last heard from our intrepid FJR owners?

Any melted horn circuits?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Anybody remember Magnum Blasters? Mine fit without cutting anything on my '04. Put 'em in with an FJRandy harness/relay and have had zero problems.
Yes I do !

What I would like to know is if anyone has tried the Hella horns:
Not great in the order of things....

Piaas 115 DB

Hella 118 DB

Freeway Blasters 125 DB

Magnum Blasters 139 DB

Steibel Air 139 DB

Decibells rule, No way around it. :D

My replacemnt FJR had Piaas on it and I just "knew" they were not as loud as my previous Magnums , so I pulled them from my For Sale ad today ( you lose :p ) and re-installed them. They are king of the hill still , much louder than the Piaas, ( which I installed on the V-Strom and tossed the stocker ).

DB ratings have been found to be a little optimistic in reviews I've read. Web Bike World did a comparison/review that is worth reading through. https://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-horns/motorcycle-horn-comparison.htm I know the Hellas are loud enough to wake up a cell phone cruiser moving left about ten feet of me into the lane I was in. Moved smartly back to the right and looked around to see what was there. Amazing how a FJR with its high beams on can be missed. I could see the drivers face in the rear view mirror so I am pretty sure I wasn't in a blind spot.

The Hella Supertones bolt on in place of the stock horns and have been very happy so far. Used an Easter Beaver harness. They looked too big to fit but slipped right into place with only minor bending of the brackets after I removed the plastics with the help of the article posted by 'kaitsdad' on 4/25/09. I learned the hard way to remember to make a list of which type of fastener goes where.

I have installed the PIAA Sports Horn pairs on four FJRs so far. Nobody is having any issues with current draw or button failure.

If you want to sound more like a General Motors product, buy the 400/500.

If you want to sound more like a Ferrari product, buy the 500/600. (My personal favorite!)

It's such a great improvement over stock, I don't care how they compare in DBs to other brands.

I have installed the PIAA Sports Horn pairs on four FJRs so far. Nobody is having any issues with current draw or button failure.

If you want to sound more like a General Motors product, buy the 400/500.

If you want to sound more like a Ferrari product, buy the 500/600. (My personal favorite!)

It's such a great improvement over stock, I don't care how they compare in DBs to other brands.
Another $45 invested. Man I need to dump this site from my Favorites Bar. Went Ferrari on mine! Thanks for the update.

I heard from another member on this forum (couldn't find the thread so I could offer the credit) that there is a aftermarket horn that is nearly as loud as many of the horns which require additional wiring and relay. So, I ordered it form Amazon and finally installed it. Surprisingly, the install was pretty smooth with no extra items needed whatsoever.

Here are the horns:

PIAA Sports Horn

Two-terminal

12v use only

115db Dual Tone

1) 400Hz horn & 2) 500Hz horn

NO harness required

Amazon Link to PIAA Sports Horn -- $45

418BVTED2AL._SS500_.jpg

Just wanted to share the love given nearly every other horn out there that is worth its weight requires the extra wiring/relay and knowledge to handle the installation.

Also, these mounted to stock mounts with only a very small piece of under-cowling needing removed with a dremel. Otherwise, this is a breeze.

Oh, and your horn sound like an American-Made Vehicle's horn now!! You WILL be noticed. :yahoo:

How did you determine that it doesn't require additional wiring? Is the same amperage as the stock horn? If more....I wouldn't presume the stock wiring would handle the load.

A few others determined this and posted it on the forum. And, at one point I was asking about how to wire relay/wiring for a pair of highway blasters ... and was directed to the PIAAs for ease of installation with only neglible decrease in loudness.

How did you determine that it doesn't require additional wiring? Is the same amperage as the stock horn? If more....I wouldn't presume the stock wiring would handle the load.
I believe that in the original thread some folks did some measurements. I will try to find that thread when I get a chance. From the information in that thread I installed these same horns about 6 months ago, though I got the 500hz and 600hz combo. So far so good. Installation took about 15 minutes.

The original thread is here: Clicky HERE.

It's a long one, with the important info in various places. One thing that can be confusing is differentiating between the single PIAA Slimline Sports Horn, and the PIAA combo Sports Horns which is the subject of this thread.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup Skooter, that's the main original thread.

Glad to hear ya like em Woodcycl. Just a quick tip: there are 2 ways to find threads you've seen or posted in. 1 would be to go to your "profile" and there's a list of threads you've posted in.

Another would be to go to "search", but the select "advanced search" (for this forum, go to the search box and take out search... and click search, then you will have the option for "advanced search".

Once at the advanced search, enter what you want to search for but also click "titles only". It makes it a lot easier to track threads down. In the case for this thread you could just enter PIAA and click titles only, then you would find it in a jiffy.

enjoy :)

Hmm, so you did find the size of bolt I used? Since mine came out of my go to coffee can, do you know the size for others?