New Project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like an interesting project. Was curious about that Harley vintage and actually found a scanned service manual on line for '59-'69 Electra Glide and Duo Glide. (More than I needed to know)

How many miles on it? Hope they have enough budget so you can do a proper job on it.
No budget worries on this one. Going to try and make it run first to get an idea what it needs. Hasn't run for over 20 years.
Just bring a stick with a 16 penny nail sticking out so you can drag it to stop, it will be better than the excuses of brakes they put on that year. Harley actually calls the front brake a "hill-holder" brake.

Dan

Gorgeous bike, Ray!

I just bought a 72 T100 Triumph, a 500cc Twin with twin crabs, 5180 original miles, sitting since 1987. It's in similar condition as your Harley, real pretty, and needs a quick overhaul and some serious gas tank cleaning.

Gorgeous bike, Ray!
I just bought a 72 T100 Triumph, a 500cc Twin with twin crabs, 5180 original miles, sitting since 1987. It's in similar condition as your Harley, real pretty, and needs a quick overhaul and some serious gas tank cleaning.
If it has crabs it must have been doing something.

Be nice to know the history of that Pan, in 52 they started selling them with the foot shifter & hand clutch. I see it has a tank shifter, maybe a police model or at one time a hack or a service car on the side. Rode a 65 Panhead for close to twenty years, I still Jones for a 51 as that was my birth year. Make sure the spark is re-tarted and it has plenty of fuel when you try to start it. Get some young buck over to kick it to life, at least till you get it sorted out.

My neighbors dad bought it new in 59. It has the adjustable sidecar triple clamps and the trans is a three speed with reverse but it never had a sidecar. Tomorrow is the day we make it run. I want to hear it before I have to lay off work while I heal up from the pacemaker install.

Got the old beast running today. It took about fifteen kicks and one small fire to get it going
smile.png
. Motor sounds solid, trans is good and the charging system is fine.
punk.gif
If it wasn't partially disassembled I would go for a ride.

Got the old beast running today. It took about fifteen kicks and one small fire to get it going:) . Motor sounds solid, trans is good and the charging system is fine.
punk.gif
If it wasn't partially disassembled I would go for a ride.
Did it wind you?
smile.png

Be nice to know the history of that Pan, in 52 they started selling them with the foot shifter & hand clutch. I see it has a tank shifter, maybe a police model or at one time a hack or a service car on the side. Rode a 65 Panhead for close to twenty years, I still Jones for a 51 as that was my birth year. Make sure the spark is re-tarted and it has plenty of fuel when you try to start it. Get some young buck over to kick it to life, at least till you get it sorted out.
Foot clutch and hand shift were optional up until the late 60s as I recall.

Dan

Got the old beast running today. It took about fifteen kicks and one small fire to get it going:) . Motor sounds solid, trans is good and the charging system is fine. :punk: If it wasn't partially disassembled I would go for a ride.
Did it wind you? :)
Not at all. We were smart and had a back up kicker doing the hard part.