New Project

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FJRay

Reaction score
1959 Harley Duo Glide. One owner bike, my neighbors dad bought it new. color is not original but will be when finished.

DSCN3524.jpg

DSCN3521.jpg

Better get the oil pan underneath. LOL I always wanted an anvil. Someday if I can find one cheap enough.

Good luck,

Dave

Looks like an interesting project. Was curious about that Harley vintage and actually found a scanned service manual on line for '59-'69 Electra Glide and Duo Glide. (More than I needed to know)

How many miles on it? Hope they have enough budget so you can do a proper job on it.

Looks like an interesting project. Was curious about that Harley vintage and actually found a scanned service manual on line for '59-'69 Electra Glide and Duo Glide. (More than I needed to know)How many miles on it? Hope they have enough budget so you can do a proper job on it.
No budget worries on this one. Going to try and make it run first to get an idea what it needs. Hasn't run for over 20 years.

There aren't many Harley projects that I would consider, but that looks like a good one. I will enjoy seeing your updates as you progress.

Nice Ray, love the seat on that beast. Looking forward to your HD reports, you do wear HD shirts plus a do rag when working on it, right?
Don't have any shirts or a do rag but I did piss on it so it knows I'm boss.

What is the orange canister on the right side near the rear wheel?
It's a air compressor to power the air horns. My neighbors dad did some interesting farkle work using the JC Whitney catalog.

You FJR guys can laugh all you want but I think that bike is GORGEOUS!

Now then Ray, just keep that HD away from Uncle Dutch, ok? I don't need no bastid step-children..

You FJR guys can laugh all you want but I think that bike is GORGEOUS!

Now then Ray, just keep that HD away from Uncle Dutch, ok? I don't need no bastid step-children..
It may be to late. The HD was on top and smiling when I opened the shop this morning. You want the pick of the litter???
rolleyes.gif
How do you say "potato-potato-potato" in German?

Damn Ray, you had me for a minute. At first glance I thought the pics were a late model HD in need of some TLC! They really haven't changed much... :-/

--G

All joking aside, those old Panheads can be pretty reliable when properly put together. I spent almost 16 years working for a Harley dealership and the guys who owned and kept them loved them. Much as everyone my laugh a lot of the "oil leaks" were often the result of an owner failing to close the valve they used that would act as an automatic chain oiler. They used hot engine oil to periodically drip oil onto the drive chain as you rode. Forget to shut the valve when you parked and it would drip. Harley still has a lot of the parts available for those machines and the aftermarket support is pretty damn impressive. While it's not something I really like I can appreciate an interesting machine regardless of the name on the tank.

Keep us posted and if I can be of any help reach out and I'll do what I can.I still know quite a few folks in the Harley community.