New recall?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dlowrey

Reaction score
Over on the FJR Owners, someone is posting about a new FJR recall. Anyone have details on this?
M2021-010R

You don't cite or link--so guessing speculation. If/when there is one...details would come out once a recall or technical bulletin actually comes out and usually are scant or devoid of confirmed details until it's official. Once there is an official one, I'd pin the thread here.

You missed it in the original post. The recall number is reported to be M2021-010R.

You missed it in the original post. The recall number is reported to be M2021-010R.
No, I didn't miss the number you provided. I just don't find it as a recall number either with NHTSA or Yamaha. NHTSA tend to be 9 alphanumeric digits, but don't have a dash (e.g. 20V814000) and Yamaha tend to be numeric only and 5 or 6 digits. And with that specific of a character string--it's likely going to show up on Google search.

Again, what's your source for this potential recall? What details do you have?

Also, if you're interested in seeing a USA recall--enter your VIN at https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls.

Last edited:
It is an actual recall and it is separate from the brake switch and transmission ones. This one is a reflash of the ecu. Separate from the one performed as part of the transmission recall. Mod number 990152. Bulletin M2021-010R. Titled ECU Re-flash. From running my VIN at https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html
That's helpful! Thank you. I still can't see the specific details and won't be able to link it on the forum, but the fact it appears to be a "Technical Service Bulletin" and not a "Recall" explains why it won't be on the NHTSA site. If you want to copy and paste more specific details in the Technical/Mechanical Problems section--I'll see about pinning it. ;)

The flash in the 1st recall has a rev limiter to protect the 2nd gear they replaced. After reading this recall notice it sounds to me like this one is adding a rev limiter for 1st gear.

The flash in the 1st recall has a rev limiter to protect the 2nd gear they replaced. After reading this recall notice it sounds to me like this one is adding a rev limiter for 1st gear.
There is already one in first and second. Neither is anywhere near the useable riding range. The letter from Yamaha (which I have not received yet- I read another affected USA owner’s letter), concerning the new flash, indicates that it makes it less restrictive, not more.

It should be noted that the transmission recall reflash did introduce a rev limiter in first and second, that limiter does not affect max rpm in neutral or with the clutch pulled all the way in. Nor does it affect max rpm with the clutch out. It only engages if you significantly overrev, in gear, with the clutch barely released.

Evidently, some have inadvertently stumbled upon the limit, in an attempt to avoid applying power to the rear wheel through sheer clutch abuse :). I don’t think Yamaha thought anyone rode like that, and didn’t anticipate anyone ever hitting that limiter except by accident.

A few have complained. Evidently enough to warrant a change. Good for them. Everyone deserves to be happy.

On the other forum, a user posted a picture of his Canadian recall notice dated "November 2021". I can't read the recall number. But it is a re-flash of the ECU. The letter says: "However, this rev-limiter programming may be overly restrictive, possibly preventing the acceleration performance the rider anticipates.", referring to the prior re-flash to protect gear components.

There is already one in first and second. Neither is anywhere near the useable riding range. The letter from Yamaha (which I have not received yet- I read another affected USA owner’s letter), concerning the new flash, indicates that it makes it less restrictive, not more.

My mechanic claims the original recall flash introduced a rev limiter of 3 or 4k rpms if you are in 2nd gear with the clutch pulled in. Have you tested that condition? I have not.

Status
Not open for further replies.