New Sena Firmware released for 20S

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bike Effects

Reaction score
Got this info today. Time to upgrade your 20S. For those looking for Sena, I have units in stock. Please note the forum discount link in my signature.

To all Sena Customers,

Please note that we have released new firmware v1.2 for the 20S headset which incorporates new features including;

• Increased audio volume for intercom, music and Bluetooth Audio Recording
  • Improved multi-way intercom reliability
  • Audio Boosting option
  • Headset battery meter for iPhone
  • Advanced Noise Control™ On/Off capability
  • Voice command triggering by Ambient Mode button

User's Guide:

https://www.sena.com/support/documents/?cat=users-guide&productname=20S

Notice:

https://www.sena.com/sena-released-20s-firmware-version-1-2/

It is now available for download. Please click the link to learn more:

https://www.sena.com/software/20s-firmware-1-2/

To automatically update the firmware, you have to download the new version of Sena Device Manger 2.1(Windows/Mac)

https://www.sena.com/support/software/sena-device-manager/

Last edited by a moderator:
I was able to use this firmware yesterday.... twas my birthday and decided to take the day off and go ridingout on a couple hundred miles.... everything worked great, as advertised...

I was alone for the day, and it was a huge treat to test these things out, in a word - spectacular!

Unfortunately the second unit I got from sena was crippled out the box for my woman's rig, got a couple phone calls into sena but am yet hear back from them thus far. :-(

I will say, I personally can't live with the speakers that come with these units and am looking for a not so expensive solution for custom molded in ear solution. Imo that will complete the ultimate package....

Everything I needed or wanted with a bluetooth rig for riding two up was there with the 20s's, sharing music, having comms, navigation and phone calls from a single device like my galaxy s4..... awesome

Thanks also goes to Jeff for the form discount and support.... always appreciate your service.

I hope they increase the volume of the speakers significantly. That is one of my two primary gripes about the unit.

They did skoot skoot....

Not enough for me, but it's def audible enough to hear the music, even though the speakers suck donkey balls.

I agree that this is a top rate item, but the new firmware does not improve FM reception which is a major flaw with the 20S. The way Sena hasn't even acknowledged that there is a problem with the FM reception makes me very concerned about their commitment to their customers.
not_i.gif

Much as I hate to say it, considering my life and livelihood is dependent on the broadcast industry, the truth is, no one gives a flying rat's ass about terrestrial radio any more. Everyone's "in love" with on-line streaming and such. It's getting so bad, some car manufacturers are dropping AM/FM radios from their automotive line-ups. Sad state of affairs. :(

Don't be too disappointed if Sena NEVER improves their FM radio reception issues. Or anyone else, for that matter.

I feel for ya Howie ---- Honestly I don't think that FM radio is going away anytime soon - but there is def the new generation of peeps that are just rollin their own on that front when it comes to LD rides and having music selections on the fly....

If it weren't for the overwhelming commercials that kill it for me.... I drive 15 - 20 mins to work, and easily those morning radio shows dump 1/2 of that time for me with commercials (Captive Audience) - which honestly kills it for me.... totally not in your hands but it is a huge drive for me to drop FM radio to just roll my own at that stage - hell, how many songs is that when you break it down.... a couple / few.... for me to lose half of that commute to commercials is a silly mind boggling adventure.... I'm sure I'm not the only one with that perspective...

Much as I hate to say it, considering my life and livelihood is dependent on the broadcast industry, the truth is, no one gives a flying rat's ass about terrestrial radio any more. Everyone's "in love" with on-line streaming and such. It's getting so bad, some car manufacturers are dropping AM/FM radios from their automotive line-ups. Sad state of affairs.
sad.png

Don't be too disappointed if Sena NEVER improves their FM radio reception issues. Or anyone else, for that matter.
Howie:

You said a mouthful here. I've been kinda hunching that there's been a drop in "listenership" to the radio, especially among the younger generation. Everybody is hooked on their streaming, or as in my case, their music libraries. I have a personal library of 1700 songs that I carry with me. Every song that I can possibly think of that I've ever really liked is in my phone.

Funny, all my life I've listened to the radio because I love music. Ha... I remember: I started out in the mid sixties listening to CKLW, a powerful AM station covering the Detroit area where I grew up. Nowadays... it seems that AM is just about worthless, and I can't even remember the last time I listened to it, mostly due to lousy programming (my opinion). I can understand completely the demise of AM. But as you said, America's listening habits are changing.

You're predicting the eventual demise of FM as well?

Good grief. I had a hunch that maybe someday... but your insider opinion is the first time I've heard this. I've thought about it, but never heard anybody mention it that I can recall; until today, that is.

My favorite decade is the 60's. But even my favorite two stations in this area have defected to playing mostly 70's and 80's stuff, much of which I don't care for. So why would I even want to listen to FM most of the time when I might get to enjoy a couple good songs per hour in between all the modern junk I don't care for and what seems to be non stop commercials? And from what you're saying, looks like I'm not alone.

So... Sena's apparent lack of concern about FM.. is starting to make perfect sense.

Gary

darksider #44

The issue IS changing demographics, Gary...

The "money" demographic is 25 years old to 54 years old. That's the demographic that's been recognized by advertisers as the age group who spends money. Plain and simple. But that age group is getting smaller and smaller with each new generation, so the big spenders in marketing, i.e., Coke, McDonald's, Sony, etc., are looking to a younger demo for their future dollars. That's the 18 to 34 age group. The ones who spend all mommy's and daddy's money on iPhones, iPads, iPot and iWant "everything given to me." And musically, their choices are Lady Gaga, the Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, the Black Eyed Peas, Lady Gaga, etc.

The funny thing you mentioned is about "listener-ship". Our flagship FM station, a 100,000 watt country monster, has the highest cume listening we've had in the past 30 years...160,000 to 180,000 listeners per week. But "time spent listening" is down...WAY down. In the "good old days" a typical listener would tune in 6 to 8 HOURS a day. Now it's down to about 1 hour a day. Too many distractions. Internet, Pandora, Facebook, Twitter, texting, masturbation....there's just too many choices for today's radio listeners, so the mom and pop stations can't make any money any more, they get swallowed up by giant corporations like Premier, Cumulus, Cox, CBS, and those corporations cut operating expenses to the bone by firing everyone in sight and turning their stations in to jukeboxes that vomit the same crap hour after hour.

Radio ain't dead...yet. But the funeral home has been notified to be ready. Thank goodness I'm 62 years old and will probably check out before my industry does, but I'm not holding my breath. I've been doing this for 47 years now, and the writing IS on the wall.

I don't care about it, but the FM radio is still DOA on the 20s. Oh well, I didn't buy it for that feature. They fixed the A#1 feature I needed, which was the record level to the GoPro unit - perfect now, almost unusable before without MAJOR post work! The current software is very poor though. While the computer based updater works, it does NOT show or control any of the new features. You have to connect with and use your phone app to set any of them.

While the computer based updater works, it does NOT show or control any of the new features. You have to connect with and use your phone app to set any of them.

Like what?

From the updater program I can set radio stations, 3 speed dial numbers, and change multiple settings. Same as the phone app.

I noticed that somewhat as well kalaria...

If I made a setting on the computer, then checked it via app, it didn't take. It was the volume boost feature that I was checking.
Worked fine with the app after I ticked the box.

Like Gary - I have a ridiculous amount of music on my phone to work with - just hit the play random button and I'm good for any length of ride for days with no repeats.... I am actually surprised that they even thought about putting a freakin FM radio on the thing at all... IMO its a useless feature... and will just come back to bite them in the butt..

Yeah, FM radio isn't a critical deal. Handy, I suppose, for commuters and that are used to using radio in their cars. It does work, it's just that it's weak.

There are some settable options that appear on the smartphone app that simply aren't available to set or unset from my computer. But there's a gotcha here in having to pair/connect your smartphone directly to the 20S when you normally don't do that, using the GPS as an intermediary.

Now I'm looking to get an additional mount so I can easily move the unit between my helmets. They don't seem to be available as a separate item just yet, though.

I hope they increase the volume of the speakers significantly. That is one of my two primary gripes about the unit.
Greg, you might try and relocate the speakers slightly. It worked wonders on my Starcom unit. Of course, the beauty of the 20S is the earbud recepticle.

Whether FM is dead or I don't use this feature anyway is not the point. Sena states FM radio as a selling feature of the 20S. And when it's customers complain about it not working they just ignore that the problem even exisists.

It's like buying an FJR & the bags keep falling off when you ride. Then people respond on this forum that they didn't buy an FJR for the luggage capacity while Yamaha doesn't come up with a solution to correct the problem.

I have no problem with people who have a different point of view, but some people on this forum should really think before they respond in writing.

Sena states FM radio as a selling feature of the 20S. And when it's customers complain about it not working they just ignore that the problem even exisists.
It's like buying an FJR & the bags keep falling off when you ride. Then people respond on this forum that they didn't buy an FJR for the luggage capacity while Yamaha doesn't come up with a solution to correct the problem.
That's funny. I did a little Googling and haven't seen an issue emerging SM20 with regards to FM here or elsewhere. I see a bit of conjecture about FJ signals, but not on the unit itself. Not saying there isn't, but I'm a little bit surprised I've not seen or heard about this.

I definitely don't remember anything resembling concensus that there is an issue bags falling off here. I remember some not checking their dealers work about loctiting bag locks and I do remember a few people that probably didn't fasten their bags properly and were loathed to fess up about (much like the sparse defective side stand lobby tried spinning a yarn a few years ago), and an even smaller amount of folks that forced their bags, slipped a cog, and could possibly lose a bag (including myself).

Do you have documentation that there is a concensus for either or both as manufacturer defect?

Meanwhile, I'm pretty happy with my SMH-10 unit, but glad Sena has come out with a patch so quickly for their new product. They seem to be the best brand out their IMO.