New Shoes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saread

Reaction score
Time to start thinking about a new set of treads. I've been running Z8's and I have been extremely happy with their longevity and performance. But, the last two sets have needed about 8 pounds of lead on the back to balance and the fronts tend to give me some head shake. Especially the last set. So, I think I'll try out a set of PR's on this go around. My question to those who ride where I ride is: PR 2's or PR 3's? Why? Or, why not? Thanks for the help.

** Edited for disclaimer - I read your post, but do not ride in the PNW - my response addresses the OP's comment about tire balancing - I'm not going to include my tire dossier.

I've run a couple of sets of Z8's and liked them as well. The characteristic I like is how the handling does not drop off as drastically as other tires towards the end of their lifespan. Z8's have offered the most mileage per set for the way I ride.

I had one set where the front needed one block of balance weight (1/4 oz??) and the rear needed zero. What I have done is to balance the wheels prior to mounting the tire. Then line up the marks on the tire with the wheel (heavy spot vs light spot), then re-balance once the tire is on.

Right now, I've got a set of Continental Road Attack II GT's. I ran them for a long weekend in SE Ohio the first weekend of May - I like them so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've run a couple of sets of Z8's and liked them as well. The characteristic I like is how the handling does not drop off as drastically as other tires towards the end of their lifespan. Z8's have offered the most mileage per set for the way I ride.
I had one set where the front needed one block of balance weight (1/4 oz??) and the rear needed zero. What I have done is to balance the wheels prior to mounting the tire. Then line up the marks on the tire with the wheel (heavy spot vs light spot), then re-balance once the tire is on.

Right now, I've got a set of Continental Road Attack II GT's. I ran them for a long weekend in SE Ohio the first weekend of May - I like them so far.
Have been wondering about the Conti's, will be watching for more info.

Time to start thinking about a new set of treads. I've been running Z8's and I have been extremely happy with their longevity and performance. But, the last two sets have needed about 8 pounds of lead on the back to balance and the fronts tend to give me some head shake. Especially the last set. So, I think I'll try out a set of PR's on this go around. My question to those who ride where I ride is: PR 2's or PR 3's? Why? Or, why not? Thanks for the help.
After talking to the Michelin Man at the Seattle Bike Show, he said that they are the same tire with minor tread differences, which included sipping on the PR-3. If you are going to use the tire in the summer go with the cheapest. Use the PR-3 in the winter because of the better water dispersion.

Isn't it funny how people respond as though they didn't even read your request. I have run 3 sets of PR-2s,1- set of PR-3's, 2-Angel ST's, 2- Z-6's, 4-Avon Azaro's, 2-Avon Storms, 1-BT-023, 5-PR's, 3- ME880.

Best mileage was from the ME880: Averaging 11,000 miles.

Best fast twisty tire was the BT-023 when hot.

All around best tires were: PR, PR-2, PR-3, Z-6, ST, Azaro.

Worst tire for wear: STs.

Tire I consistantly wore to steel cords: Z6's nd ST's, One ST went through the steel belts.

I'm sticking with the Michelin's from now on at any cost. Best price is at Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA.

1. NEPRT? You're kidding me. I asked a question for the folks where I ride and it was very specific, PR 2 or PR 3. The weather tends to be a bit wet at times and I'm wondering what those folks who live and ride the wet side of the PNW would prefer. This ain't a general question of what tire I should use, but which flavor of a specific tire do those folks who ride 'em like here and why. I excluded 95% of the FJR world. I get NEPRT for general tires, oil, spark plugs, gas brand, smelly farts, etc, ad infinitum. But this wasn't one of those questions. BluFJR's answer is exactly what I was looking for and I don't think it was NEPRT.

Saraed,

Don't worry about NEPERT land. We'll still be reading the thread.

You spoke of head shake. Funny thing about tires. My bike ran pretty smooth until I put a new PR3 on the front. It's definitely not my steering bearings as I torqued them to factory specks with the help of Screwball Dave from this forum not long before I put the tire on. I get a pretty healthy shake from 38-50 with that tire. It's got perhaps 3k miles on it now. But I'm kind of a rare case. I had a PR2 on the front before, and even though it was well worn, I had very little head shake until I changed it. Normally PR3's run pretty smooth. I'm guessing that occasionally a tire is a little out of round?? I had it balanced twice, just in case.

For what it's worth.

Gary

Bridgestone BT-023GT front and rear. Just starting to see a very slight cupping on the front after ~10000 miles, rear has about 2000 on it so nothing yet. I've never ridden on the the Michelins or Pirellis so I can't compare performance but the Bridgestones handled everything last winter without any problems. Daily commute via I90 and I405 so not a whole lot of curves. I-90 to 405 north at 60 with no slipping, 405 north to 520 east, the little s-turn also at 60 with no slipping. Work for me.

Saread,

I'm on my currently on my 3rd set of PR2's. Tried Bridgestones (oem's), PR1's and Roadsmarts. Wanted to buy the PR3's but after reading posts on this forum decided to stick with the PR2 for price and wear-ability.

The PR2's give good all around performance in the twisties and are very good in the wet.

The riding here is similar to the PNW. My vote goes to PR2 - as that's all I've ever run.
smile.png

They were on the bike when I bought it and worked so well (especially in the June downpours last year, that look to be repeated this year) that I've stuck with them. Zero problems, balance very well and great lifespan.

Hope that helps?

Al.