• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

*NEW* SuperBrace - Group Buy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Warchild

Benevolent Dictator
Reaction score
Superbrace themselves are conducting this Group Buy for their newly designed "Gull-Wing" Superbrace for the FJR!

1129.jpg

Group Buy Prices:

Polished FJR - #1129 w/ fork protectors

Retail Price - $203.95

Group Buy Price - $145.95 ($58 off!)

Hard Black Anodized FJR - #1129 w/ fork protectors

Retail Price: $228.95

Group Buy Price: $165.95 ($63 off!)

You can sign up here ==> FJR1300 Superbrace Group Buy

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Fabrication/Installation:

Here's how the gull-wing Superbrace starts off life: a sollid block of 6061 T-6 aircraft quality billet aluminum:

solidALblock.jpg

After CNC-machining and before polishing:

blockVSfinal.jpg

How the package arrives to you:

arrives.jpg

Highly-polished stainless-steel fork protectors assembled, Superbrace ready to install:

pre-installComponents.jpg

Place rear component in place as shown, so that bridge resides at the *bottom* of the beveled edge at the top of the fork:

forward_pretorqued.jpg

Then place the forward component in place::

straight-awayInstalled.jpg

View from behind prior to torquing. Note how lower part of gull-wing *just* clears the fender:

rearward_pretorqued.jpg

Snug down all four bolts *evenly* before torquing them down to spec. Superbrace instructions (included) state to torque the four socket-head bolts to 10 ft-lbs. Personally, I apply a little dab of aluminum anti-seize on the bolt threads and torque them to ~ 14 ft-lbs.

Now take your FJR out to your favorite set of twisties and high-speed sweepers... you'll be amazed at how much more "planted" the bike feels over a wide range of riding conditions.

I don't think so, but then, the original Superbrace definitely kicks ass in its own right.

I have no reason to believe a rider will be able to discern much difference between the two versions in actual underway comparisons (even though this newer one looks a touch "beefier" than the original).

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't imagine the new fork brace will be any better in terms of performance than the original. They just needed to do this because of the abs banjo bolt interference problem. The new design could not be any more rigid than the original straight design IMHO.

I still wonder if there is anyone out there running an abs model with an original Superbrace. Inspite of the nice workmanship in the product, the way they have neglected to inform FJR owners of the potential risk of using the original product is disgraceful. Whoever provides this company with liability insurance must be totally uninformed of this problem.

I don't think so, but then, the original Superbrace definitely kicks ass in its own right.
I have no reason to believe a rider will be able to discern much difference between the two versions in actual underway comparisons (even though this newer one looks a touch "beefier" than the original).
I am participating. Be interesting to see how the action of the suspension improves. Looking forward to giving it a try.

"I still wonder if there is anyone out there running an abs model with an original Superbrace."

I do. However, I switched over to the Spiegler lines. I've had no problem with the original Superbrace.

Rick

I bought the original SB for my '05 ABS about 13 months ago. After cranking the front forks to stiff, I have not bottomed them out to date, so I have just left them on. I was not impressed with the first redo, but with the gullwing version I am ready to jump in (especially with the group buy). But I wonder what SB will do with my return refund.... I bought the original at full retail with splash protector (I think $128 plus $25). But the new GB deal is less. Does that mean I will get a net refund via the exchange?

When going through the ordering process, it says on the page before the information page and at the bottom of the information page that the brace is for ABS only. It says it is for both on the first page of the Group buy section of their website. Anybody know what's up with that? I don't want to order anything wrong. I was thinking they designed this one brace to fit both ABS and non ABS.

GP

I ordered the Superbrace on 12-17... I just received it (yesterday) Pretty Fast considering I thought it would take 4-6 wks... This is a very nice looking product, great finish and very beefy..... I will get it installed (hopefully) by Friday....

I can't wait to eliminate the wobble during the freeway interchanges at speeds...

They charged me sales Tax ( I live in CA and so are they) but no shipping charges... the total was $157.26 .... $145.95 + $11.31 tax... Seems like a great deal...

If your interested.. Pull the triger before its too late,,,,

Ben

When going through the ordering process, it says on the page before the information page and at the bottom of the information page that the brace is for ABS only. It says it is for both on the first page of the Group buy section of their website. Anybody know what's up with that? I don't want to order anything wrong. I was thinking they designed this one brace to fit both ABS and non ABS.

GP
Not to worry... this brace fits *ALL* models of the FJR through 2005, both ABS and non-ABS.

It does NOT appear to fit the 2006 models due to changes in the front fender design.

I was just a few minutes behind you Warpdrv. Thanks again for everyone involved in making this happen.

GP ;)

Just ordered my polished one for the Feejer. Need them to get back to me about getting one for the Blackbird (whose just now underway winter farkling motivated me to pull the trigger on braces).

WC -- they list a part no. 2262 for a '98 to '04 CBR1100F on their site, with a picture of a silver Bird. I'm thinking they just got the model designation and years wrong, but want to make sure that's the one for my '97 XX. I figure you're the one to know. Many thanks for making this happen and for the University Motors recommendation, as well -- have an R1 rectifier/regulator on the way for the Bird as well.

exskibum

Whats the difference with the R1 rectifer over stock FJR one

rogerfjfaster :D

exskibumWhats the difference with the R1 rectifer over stock FJR one

rogerfjfaster :D
To be clear, it's the rectifier/regulator on my XX Blackbird (not the FJR) that I'm replacing. The stock r/r on the Blackbird is a Honda r/r and Honda r/rs (at least those on pre-'03 bikes) are notoriously underdesigned. They overheat, and go out with sometimes nasty results. I understand it can go out open or closed. If open, you need a new battery, if closed, it can fry your whole electrical system. It's a greater problem if the bike is devoted to short around-town hops (mine's not), but I figured I'd give myself the security now since the mileage is getting into the danger range (and since the R1 r/r was only $53 shipped -- WC saved me some money with the University Motors recommendation).

The suggested mod for my '97 XX is a Yamaha R1 rectifier/regulator, preferrably that for an '01, I'm told. I honestly haven't bothered to take a close look at the FJR r/r, but will probably do so when I get into the meat of my XX project and have the R1 r/r in hand. The Bird needs some work this winter, so the relatively new FJR is getting very little more than a new rear tire, grips and a fork brace. As long as I had some things to attend to on the Bird, it's going to get suspension work, silver and black powder-coated wheels, new Pilot Powers, a 4-2-1 Micron header with carbon fiber can, HID lights, the R1 rectifier/regulator, tune up, fork brace, grips, stainless brake lines and misc. cosmetics -- before a Blackbird owners meet scheduled in June for some twisties heaven out of Red Bluff.

Status
Not open for further replies.