New Tires - Spark Plug Change Interval

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doc68

Reaction score
At the risk of this having been covered before, I'll bring it up. I just had new tires installed on my 2013 FJR. The bike has 26K mi. on it. I had Bridgestone Battalax tires installed and when i rode it away from the dealership, I had a slight front end shimmy which is most evident when letting off the throttle at about 40-45 mph. The mechanic assured me that the wheels were balanced correctly. One of the staff members indicated that the shimmy might be due to all of the "nubs" on the front tire left from the manufacturing process. I can't really believe that could be a factor but maybe. It has more of the "nubs" than I've ever seen on a tire before. Anyway, the dealership owner has ordered new tires and we'll see. What are the thoughts on the "nubs" causing the shimmy? I've had three sets of tires installed before and it always rode rock solid.

Another issue. The manual indicates that plugs are to be changed every 7K mi. Talked with the dealer and he indicated otherwise. I suppose it's a good idea at maybe double that but changing them is a pain. Thoughts on this? A question similar to this was brought up in Cycle World or Motorccyclist and the advise was to follow the manual.

Nubs don't cause front end wobble. Look closely at the tire where it meets the rim. There is a small concentric rib that is molded into the tire sidewall. It should be equidistant from the edge of the wheel rim all the way around. If you do not use enough lube when seating the bead on the wheel it may not fully seat all the way around and that will cause a wobble. If that is not it, the tire is defective.

I've had good luck running the stock plugs on a 1st Gen for 15k miles or so. With a 3rd gen and the Coil Over PLug ignition, you should be able to go 25k miles on a set. At that point you need to pull the plugs when you do a valve check anyway. so that is a great time to slap some new ones in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Appreciate the response. I looked closely at both tires and they appear to be seated. Probably a defective tire. Thanks again.

Most front end shimmy at speeds you mention are due to worn tires, particularly the front. Unusual to hear of a new tire(s) exhibiting these symptoms. Be sure to check steering head bearings for any looseness. You probably already know that drill.

Did it have any shimmy on decel with the old tires?

Many, including me, have had no shimmy at all across a variety of tire mfrs on worn out tires after installing tapered roller bearings in the headstock. Coincidence?
no.gif
IMHO, of course..

At the risk of this having been covered before, I'll bring it up. I just had new tires installed on my 2013 FJR. The bike has 26K mi. on it. I had Bridgestone Battalax tires installed and when i rode it away from the dealership, I had a slight front end shimmy which is most evident when letting off the throttle at about 40-45 mph. The mechanic assured me that the wheels were balanced correctly. One of the staff members indicated that the shimmy might be due to all of the "nubs" on the front tire left from the manufacturing process. I can't really believe that could be a factor but maybe. It has more of the "nubs" than I've ever seen on a tire before. Anyway, the dealership owner has ordered new tires and we'll see. What are the thoughts on the "nubs" causing the shimmy? I've had three sets of tires installed before and it always rode rock solid.
Another issue. The manual indicates that plugs are to be changed every 7K mi. Talked with the dealer and he indicated otherwise. I suppose it's a good idea at maybe double that but changing them is a pain. Thoughts on this? A question similar to this was brought up in Cycle World or Motorccyclist and the advise was to follow the manual.
.Do I understand you are now on the 4th set of tires after 26K? I would suggest you might want to try Michelin PR's. Unless you are a hell bent for leather rider you should be getting 10-12K per set of tires. Given rider weight, road conditions, and riding style will affect tire life.

The Bridgestone T-30 is a good tire as is the Michelin Pilot Road 2 or 4. If for some reason the dealer is selling you the Battlax BT-021 tire, you are on perhaps the worst wearing tire you could possibly put on the bike.

Wobble can be related to steering head bearing wear, or more likely looseness. The head bearings need to be checked. Another possibility is the the forks can get out of alignment during a tire change. It's really easy to just loosen the pinch bolts and axle, bounce the front end, and then re-torque.

I have some new plugs on the work bench, but the ones in the bike are going strong at 20K. I'll get to it, but no rush.

For a while my decel front end wobble went away with a new front tire. Then it wouldn't. Front end alignment, tire pressure, different tire- nothing solved the problem until I installed tapered roller bearings.

El-cheapo NGK spark plugs easily last 20-25k miles. Don't sweat it.

The service manual for my 2014 FJR says plug changes every 8,000 miles. Any reason for this? Seems like a very short interval.

Flash