New to me 2016

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lsdpoet

Reaction score
Hello..I am picking up a 2016 FJR from a Harley dealer next week and he knows nothing about the bike...1st round of questiond:
Are heated grips stock?
If so, where is the switch?
How do you reset the trip meter?
I presume S is Sport and T is Tour...one better than the other or self explanatory.
Best tire pressure?
I will have a lot more questions after I pick it up and appreciate any advice or tips...thanks

congrats on your purchase. you will love the 2016, it has the 6 speed tranny, check to see if that bike has done the recall on that tranny. Yamaha recalled the 2016’s for a tranny issue. the trip meter is reset on the dash panel far left, reset button is below the traction control button, just press and your trip 1 will flash, press it again and it will reset trip 1, then press again and it will move to trip 2. same procedure.. I run 39F/40R tire pressures. Is your FJR the ES model or A model. ES is for electronic suspension, A is the standard suspension. Yes, S is for Sport tune and T is for touring. They are different mappings. Touring is more (Less) smooth and sevelt power, you have to turn the throttle more to move harder. Toggle back to Sport and you get the full pony. Be ready to shift quick in Sport mode. Most of the riding unless you are a full sport rider is done between 2K-4K rpm (IMO). Motor just pulls down low really well and makes this nice turbine sound in that range and is super smooth. YOu can run the VIN on the NHTSA website to see if the recalls have been done. Good luck and keep us posted on any questions, I’m still learning my new to me 2014 ES model. I upgraded to the Yamaha Touring windscreen, but you may like the stock one.

you will love the 2016, it has the 6 speed tranny, check to see if that bike has done the recall on that tranny
Is your FJR the ES model or A model. ES is for electronic suspension, A is the standard suspension.
Good points!!

Lots of stuff to learn about the bike. Remember that the search function on this forum is pretty good and there is a wealth of information here.
Good luck with the bike. You'll love it!

As far as accessories/upgrades are concerned, try it before you buy anything but aftermarket seats and windscreens are popular...

Congrats on the new FJR! Welcome to the collective. You will love it!

I never use "T" for pussies touring unless it's raining. Most of us find that slightly higher tire pressures than recommended make for better handling and prolonged tire life. I run 40-41 front, and 41-42 rear. On the higher side of those if loaded up for touring.

Getting through all the menus on the dash to operate stuff is kind of confusing at first. Especially without someone knowledgeable to show you. Remember to use the 'trigger' to select a menu or function (like heated grips), and the rocker switch to change whatever is showing in the display. Like raising or lowering the three heated grip levels. Hold the trigger in for several seconds with the bike stopped and ignition on to get to a sub-menu for detailed stuff. For example, you can program each of the 'three' heated grips settings with a number or level of 1-10. I have mine programmed at 4, 7, and 10.

If you are height challenged with a short inseam, make sure the seat is in the 'low' of the two positions.

Don't try to force the glove box open. It will easily open when the ignition is on.

Congrats on the new (to you) '16! Great advice so far. If not included with purchase, download an owners manual for instrument function and general settings on the machine. Manual also has starting suspension settings to get you in the ballpark. Lots and lots of information on the forum. Use the search feature to hunt for information.

Good luck and enjoy!

~G

Congrats on your new ride. Enjoy and keep us posted?

Congrats on the 2016 FJR.
I bought my 16 in 2019 and have never regretted the decision. It has been a fantastic bike. I enjoy the heck out of it.
The info and resources here and on the sister sight have been invaluable to me and made my riding experience with the bike very enjoyable.

Joe

I bought my 2016 in 2019 also. New bike leftover. Great bike, but I didn't care much for the transmission recall. Got it done from a mechanic that wasn't real familiar with the bike, but so far so good on the fix. The one you are looking at may not have been done. Check it and test ride.

GP

I got a 2016 A model last year with 22k miles or so on the odo then. It's a wonderful ride.

It "needs" fewer farkles than the FJRs of yestertime.

You'll want a taller windscreen some day if you ride enough.

This is probably my last bike but my fourth FJR. Best motorcycle ever sold IMHO.

Ride safe.

Attachments

• IMG_20220407_112119_01.jpg
    IMG_20220407_112119_01.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20210507_171328694.jpg
    PXL_20210507_171328694.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0