New to me ST or new FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whereisbobl

Reaction score
Why do I do this to myself. I am in need of a newer bike, and found a suitable ST1300 to replace and/or supplement my current 150,000 mile winter / dirt ST1300. Going to look at the bike tomorrow. And at the same time my mind is looking at the FJR thinking that I should get a brand new one.

I suppose I could get both. But only so much room in the garage I'm borrowing.

For various reasons, my requirements and priorities have been changing over the last year and a half, which is how long I was looking for a new bike.

My biggest roadblock is that when I buy a bike, I keep it forever. So it's kind of a big decision. So I torture myself.

EDIT - I Chose a bike, see below

Last edited:
Look at both, (if possible) test ride both, and make you decision.
Heck, I've test ridden so many bikes, it's not an easy decision. The ST1300 is a fantastic bike, but they are getting up there in age. Some things break just from time. The FJR is a little small framed for me. And no tip over protection. So a bunch of time and money will be spent to make the bike suitable. Plus, my future next couple of years is unknown. Will I be around enough to use a new bike,? Or will I be gone for most of the year? Could be either one.

Various bikes have made the short list, and are still on it, but I need one comfortable reliable bike for long distances. Then, if it turns out I'm going to be around for a while, I will get probably a tiger 900, or even better yet the new tiger 1200 that hasn't come out yet.
If it was an easy decision, I would have made it last spring when I started looking.

Both are great bikes. While it is still not known whether there will be a 2022 FJR1300, the Honda ST1300 was discontinued in ~2013. Parts availability if nothing else would steer me to the FJR. In terms of amenities, the Gen IV FJR is way ahead of the ST1300.

What has Honda done to the ST1300 since first released. They had a real issue with the ST1100 and orphaning it from updates. OTOH, Yamaha is documented as all the updates to their platform since original release.

I had two ST1300's and the current FJR at the same time. The FJR remains and the ST's are gone. Sold the two ST's and brought home a 18 Goldwing. Had one of the ST's outfitted with RaceTech suspension (highly suggested) and a McCruise. Did the bluegauges thing so I could read the display. It was a great bike save for one thing. It roasted my left leg at any temperature over 85F. Loved the big gas tank. Loved the luggage. No rear sub frame worries with the ST and factory top box. Had the Hondaline top box with spoiler. They are great bikes but owning an ST and a FJR is just redundant so kept the FJR (2014) and went with the newer Wing. Honda finally got rid of that stupid secondary master cylinder that freezes up the rear brake. Never understood that piece. Totally unnecessary.
The FJR is a little more sporty than the ST but its just a trade off so whichever you like better is the one to own. ST is getting a little long in the tooth but if you take care of them they will serve you well.

This opinion andn $10 should get you something at Starbucks, I think.

I rode the ST1300 at work for years. I loved the bike so much that I bought one after I retired. I rode it for 4 years before someone made me an offer to buy it that I couldn't refuse. I started looking at the FJR and really liked all the bells and whistles it offered. I found a 2014 FJR ES a couple months ago with only 3k miles for 8K. A deal was made over the phone and the next day I took an 800 mile fly and drive. This bike is so smooth and comfortable for my 6 foot, 200 lb frame. The heated grips have three settings and will burn your hands on the third level. I also love the fact that the manual recommends 89 octane fuel. That saves me 30 cents per gallon in California by not having to buy premium gas and I put a lot of tanks of fuel through her. I would look for a pre 2016 so you don't have to deal with the transmission recall but that is just my opinion. Others on this forum will feel differently. Good luck with your decision.

Last edited:
When I was looking for a bike, I really didn't even know about the FJR. I had a carbed Concours that I really liked, but gave it to my son. So I was in the St1300/Concours debate. Then I started reading about the FJR. Easy maintenance accessibility compared to the Concours, newer than the St1300 (an still in production), bought a 2007 with 7000 miles for $5500, I believe Yamaha is really an innovator, AND mine ES has the no clutch/electric shift which I love.
So as you can see I am leading you towards the FJR. You won't regret it!

I rode the ST1300 at work for years. I loved the bike so much that I bought one after I retired. I rode it for 4 years before someone made me an offer to buy it that I couldn't refuse. I started looking at the FJR and really liked all the bells and whistles it offered. I found a 2014 FJR ES a couple months ago with only 3k miles for 8K. A deal was made over the phone and the next day I took an 800 mile fly and drive. This bike is so smooth and comfortable for my 6 foot, 200 lb frame. The heated grips have three settings and will burn your hands on the third level. I also love the fact that the manual recommends 89 octane fuel. That saves me 30 cents per gallon in California by not having to buy premium gas and I put a lot of tanks of fuel through her. I would look for a pre 2016 so you don't have to deal with the transmission recall but that is just my opinion. Others on this forum will feel differently. Good luck with your decision.
Dammit!!! You bought that bike from under me. Oh well - Pants snoozes, he loses!!

FWIW, I chose a bike. I found an ST1300 with reasonable miles in good condition etc...... I like the bike I have and am not sure what my short term future will be so buying an inexpensive bike that suits me made the most sense right now.....

The owner seemed pretty good.... He is training to become a doctor, recently moving here with the bike and family from Canada....

So, after I buy the bike, but before I picked it up, I told a friend... He asked if the bike speedo was in MPH or KPH.... Dohhhh. Yup, in KPH. Good thing I don't look at that thing much.

Had an '03 ST1300 ABS that I bought in '06. Had it for 7 years and 101k mi. Was ready to buy a new bike. Wanted several improvements:
1. Lighter weight
2. Less heat from the engine while riding.
3. Cruise control
4. Better suspension, esp in the front. Stock springs are too weak, damping too stiff.
A new '13 ST1300 had none of these improvements even after ten years on the market. :-(

Rode a friend's '13 FJR. After two hours, I thought, "This isn't a difficult decision." All four of the above problems were solved. Waited to see what the '14 FJR would offer, and the ES suspension sold me on a new one. Would never return to an ST1300.

After 79k mi, swapped the '14 ES for a '16 ES in 2017 to get all LED lighting and 6 speed transmission. LOVE it! (Did the transmission recall last winter with no problem before or after.) 57k mi so far.

I've owned both in the 2006 trim. I started with the ST1300 and sold it to buy the FJR1300. These bikes are both comprises between sport and touring as we all know. I would classify the ST as 60% touring (40% sport) and the FJR as 60% sport (40% touring), so it depends what is more important to you. Good luck.

I bought a new 2003 FJR in '02. Had an ST 1100 (157K miles) and an ST1300 previously. The ST1300 never fit me well as I got arm cramps when riding twisties quickly. Thus I've now had five FJR's. The1st an '03 and I am now on my fourth 2004 model and have ridden them a total of close to 500K miles. Last one had 167K, one before 203K miles. Five bikes....one cam chain tensioner (replaced chain also just because it was so cheap), one clutch slave cylinder, one throttle position sensor. LOTS of tires, filters, etc. I ride cross country when I can (up to 1000K miles in a day but NEVER intentionally...it just happens. Most other riding is two lane mountain roads in Western NS and East TN. (Think "Tail of the Dragon" without the crazies. ) Thus I've got a bike that's crazy fast, comfortable for long or short distance (6'1", 170 lbs, 74 yrs old) and extremely reliable and also very easy and cheap to maintain. Just cannot justify a new bike so I ordered a new GTS 4.0 manual for my birthday next year....But will continue to ride the bike more than 4 cars combines as long as I am able !

Not keep a bike forever? Blasphemy.
Hi there whereisbobl............ I've had two different gen FJRs and have loved them both. My current though is up for sale if you have an interest in a very good, clean, low mileage 2016 A model, complete with plenty of farkles. It's still listed up on Facebook if you'd like to take a gander. Will be dropping the price as well when I relist. M
https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/359016175927258/