New to the forum and to Fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob246

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I am excited to be a new member of the jfr world. I just purchased my 2013 jfr last week. It is more or less stock except for a shad top box. I am 6'2" and wear a 32" inseam pants. If anyone could recommend a handle bar riser and some kind of highway peg to help me stretch out a bit that would be awsome. I noticed my elbows take some strain in the current configuration. Any other mod ideas that can make the bike even better would be great too. Thank yall!

Wait. You're asking these folks to help spend your money?? Ooh'boy.

Welcome and good luck with the new purchase. Lots of ways to make it your own and I gotta believe you'll get plenty of suggestions how. If there's anything specific do a quick search first then come back with questions to narrow things down. I'd also suggest updating your profile with the bike info and maybe your location also. It'll help with discussions in the future.

Bob, Congrats on the 2013! Same year as mine.

I'm 5'8" and 32" inseam... so we are different to be sure.

The general consensus is DON'T change the bike until after you've ridden it a while.... you may get used to it/ adjust to it.

That said, you have a tall torso so you will eventually be asking for a taller windshield, bar risers, and eventually a custom seat ... in that order.

Ride more distances and move around a little every hour or so. Try to straighten your back (not hunch) .

Raise and lower the shield to find where the air is calm, but you look over the top, not thru it.

The seat comes last. Try others to see what works best. New is expensive... used sometimes works too. YMMV

Great advice!
I will do as you suggest.
I am Gung ho to make it my own but I definitely should ride more and get a true feel of the bike.
That being said, do you know how to convince my wife to let me ride more? Lol

Bob, Do what I do ...

Tell her it's economical transportation @ 45 mpg... We should ride it everywhere we possibly can! (esp in TN).

I am 6'3", 34" inseam. I use simple GenMar risers and find them to be decent although not as flexible as some of the others. Important to sit up and keep your back straight (Google Master Yoda riding position) Depending on what you have been riding, it may just take some time to get used to it.

I have a taller Cee Bailey reverse flip but they are no longer available - they got out of MC windscreens. I also have a V-Stream and the stock shield. Prefer the Cee Bailey. I have a Vario knock-off that I plan to try.

I keep thinking about highway pegs and keep telling myself I will try them sometime but haven't yet (after 250,000 miles or so on my '07 and 2011). I have managed with stock seat as well although I have no doubt that a good custom would be better.

Welcome from metro Seattle and congrats on the new (to you) '13! Lots of great advice here...we'll get you set up and spending $$$ in no time!!

~G

I’m 5’7”, 30” inseam so we are very different shapes. I have HeliBar risers on my 2005 FJR for more upright seating and shorter reach to the handlebars — works well for me. I also sing the praises of Russell Daylong seats (as do many others) — over 433,000 super-comfy miles on three bikes with that seat. Agree that upright (not slouched) sitting position is key to long distance comfort; I wear a Back-A-Line belt for which unobtrusively keeps my spine in a neutral position for all-day riding ease.

Congrats Bob!! Crash bars from T-rex have been helpful to me. I hung some pegs off of them on my 2013 but frankly don't use them much. My 2005 (bought used) came with nice highway pegs that attached to the bike and were used often and enjoyed. I tried to find them for the 13 but the machinist who made them ceased as far as i know. If you find or any one else knows of where to get this type please let me know as well. Congrats again.

Hello everyone, I am excited to be a new member of the jfr world. I just purchased my 2013 jfr last week. It is more or less stock except for a shad top box. I am 6'2" and wear a 32" inseam pants. If anyone could recommend a handle bar riser and some kind of highway peg to help me stretch out a bit that would be awsome. I noticed my elbows take some strain in the current configuration. Any other mod ideas that can make the bike even better would be great too. Thank yall!

Welcome aboard. Be aware that the handlebars have some limited adjustability. They'll move fore and aft somewhat, so try moving them forward. You'll soon discover, if you haven't already, that the '13 cruise is limited to 82 mph. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but you can get Ivan to flask the ECU to remove that should you so desire. Ivan can be found HERE.

Welcome aboard. Be aware that the handlebars have some limited adjustability. They'll move fore and aft somewhat, so try moving them forward. You'll soon discover, if you haven't already, that the '13 cruise is limited to 82 mph. Maybe that doesn't bother you, but you can get Ivan to flask the ECU to remove that should you so desire. Ivan can be found HERE.
Welcome and I can vouch for how good the Ivan flash was for my 06. He can also adjust a lot of setpoints, so the fans come on earlier to keep the engine cooler in slow traffic as well as adjusting the cruise control limits. there are a few write ups on here about removing and putting the ECU back in.

When I first got my 2012 FJR, on a hot day as I parked my FJR on a patch of bad tar. My front tire pushed the tar to the side the bike fell on me as I got off. So T-rex crash bars will save you scratched plastic.

Bob,

The stock handlebars have several positions available. You might want to try those options.

Aftermarket handlebar risers and angle plates may or may not give you the hand position you need. They are typically very limited in results, and expensive. I favor converting to standard handlebars, giving you the choice of every 7/8" (22 mm) handlebar in the bike shops. ABM makes a nice billet adapter, to replace the stock fork top clamp (steering crown) to hold the new handlebars.

You might want to consider footpeg lowering, rather than highway pegs, or both. Unless you are dragging hard parts in the corners now, you might find the footpeg lowering brackets are a fair solution to the issue of leg lengths. The stock seat can be set in the HIGH position (see Owner's Manual), or an aftermarket seat can be made to sit you taller in the saddle. A higher seat may warrant a taller windshield, or air deflectors on the shorter windshields.

Welcome from just over the hill in Nashville!
I have a 2016 ES with Heli Bar risers - and just got the tallest V-Stream windshield. I'm 6'0 with 32 " inseam, and it makes a world of difference. In the highest position the air would hit me at about nose level, and looking through the windshield I could see about 10 yards in front of me. With the new V-Stream, I can go down a little from the highest position and see down the road just over the top - the highest position is reserves for riding in the rain!
I just got the cycle in December, and more than doubled the miles it had from its first 6 years!
Let me know if you want to meet up for a ride.