New to this group, and the fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tomslyk2002

Reaction score
Thanks for accepting me to the forum. I'm new to the FJR but not to motorcycling. I've been riding one thing or another for about the last 45 years. I'm looking forward to learning, maybe even contributing. I acquired my fjr about 6 weeks ago, traded a 1900 Stratoliner for it. It's a great bike, I knew it would be. A lot like my old ST1100, only a lot more power. Since I picked it up I've learned a few things about it. The PO had installed a Russel saddle, Heli risers, and a set of lowering links. The ride is a lot harsher than the old ST I'm going to attribute that to the lowering links. But it handles like it's on rails, and that's a plus. Thanks again!20211107_165014_HDR.jpg

Tomslyk2002,

Tire inflation counts on the FJR. Most riders start with 40F/42R, in PSI, and tinker from there. A few PSI either way can make a real difference.

Beyond that, if you do not know bike suspension science, drop in at a bike speed shop (maybe near a track, not by the dealer, usually) and have them set up your FJR for your weight and riding style. One cause could be too much oil in the front forks, but the speed shop should have a handle on all that stuff, just to get you started.

Keep us posted. What you have right now is not normal.

Thanks for accepting me to the forum. I'm new to the FJR but not to motorcycling. I've been riding one thing or another for about the last 45 years. I'm looking forward to learning, maybe even contributing. I acquired my fjr about 6 weeks ago, traded a 1900 Stratoliner for it. It's a great bike, I knew it would be. A lot like my old ST1100, only a lot more power. Since I picked it up I've learned a few things about it. The PO had installed a Russel saddle, Heli risers, and a set of lowering links. The ride is a lot harsher than the old ST I'm going to attribute that to the lowering links. But it handles like it's on rails, and that's a plus. Thanks again!View attachment 819
Welcome from the Big Apple and congrats on the new ride. My bike also has lowering links but I don't think that causes the harshness. The suspension on the FJR has many adjustments and I think if you get properly dialed in for your weight that may solve your problem. If you use the search function I believe you can find the answers you need. Enjoy. (y)

How many miles and what has been done with the suspension. If the shock is OEM and it has more than 50-75 k miles, it may be "tired" and in need of replacement. How long since the forks have been flushed and seals/bushings replaced?

Not surprised that the FJR is a bit harsher than the ST but, as others have said, the FJR has quite a bit of room for adjustment. (Also tire pressure as mentioned by infrared). If you are nor familiar with the adjustments, get some assistance from a knowledgeable local FJR owner or competent shop. Owner's manual and on-line resources are helpful if you are comfortable with tinkering. Count the adjustment clicks and direction from the start point so you can get back there if you screw it up.