New Toy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what is the attraction of the Ural for you?

To me, they seem a lot like a piece of farm machinery but without that level of reliability.  Certainly a novelty but (other than the sidecar) I can't think of anything they do better than lots of other choices.  Fun factor?

Got any pictures?

Welcome to the world of the Ural, Canadian FJR!  We have two Gear Ups.   Ours are newer (2018 & 19) and have fuel injection.  They are a blast to ride especially off pavement (I never realized what a great dirt rider I am until I got the Ural) and in the snow.  If you can hear a tic over the normal valve train noise, then you have a very rare Ural indeed.  Loose valves are happy valves.  Checkout the Soviet Steeds forum. Many knowledgeable and helpful folks over there. 

Ross, you’re correct, the Ural is agricultural and yet fun to ride. 

8155F586-2705-48E7-B62B-BABBBFAE8E81.jpg

Canadian FJR,  

I recommend seeing if you can get your hands on David Hough's book on riding a sidecar, "Driving A Sidecar Outfit".  It is known as the Yellow Book and widely regarded as the gold standard for learning how to ride a sidecar.  It is out of print and hard to find (there is a used one on Amazon for $160US, which is ludicrous).  Hough had a column for around 30 years at Motorcycle Consumer News and wrote Proficient MotorcyclingMore Proficient Motorcycling.

Urals are pretty cool but certainly not for everybody.  Hubert Kriegel road his around the world and preferred it to motorcycles.  His web site is among the best adventure web sites.  The layout is splendid and easy to read.  He road his Ural in Polar Zones many times.  If you find yourself with cabin fever this winter click on the link - you will be transported to a life well lived.