New V-Strom 1000

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mk2wilson

Reaction score
Didn't see it discussed already and was wondering what your thoughts are on the new v-strom 1000? I'm digging the new look! From the little bit of reading I have done it sounds like it is pretty much a new bike. What is the general consensus?

Our local dealer got one around Memorial Day. I went over to check it out and sit on it, but didn't have time for a test ride. I also like the new redesign, although they painted some parts glossy that would have gone so much better with the other bits if they had a flat matte finish.

If I were going for that type of ADV bike, I'd probably opt for the Triumph Tiger Explorer 1200 (which I have test-ridden) over the new V-strom.

More of a road based ADV bike than the others claim to be. With low hanging pipe, oil filter and limited ground clearance, I don't see the VStrom offering much over a well set-up ST machine...and it's still got a chain.

YMMV

--G

OTOH, it makes a fantastic all around bike for little money. Fire roads are about the max of off road though. Then again, 1k street days are easy. A really good platform. I have the 650 and love it.

Latest posts