• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Vendor for 06 Luggage Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHFJR

Reaction score
Well I have been designing and prototyping a new luggage rack for the 06 FJR and I believe it is now time to show it off and get some opinions on it. As you will see the design is unlike others racks being offered. I wanted to design a rack that was completely functional, but looked like it was part of the original design of the bike. It is made out of 3/16" 6061 aluminum and will bolt to the bike by taking out the three bolts in the back plate and placing the rack's standoffs into the counterbores and bolting it down using the same three bolts.

What you will see in the pictures below is the second prototype of the rack and was actually made from 1/4" thick aluminum. I think 3/16" thick will do just fine as the 1/4" is overkill. The rack remains at a 7 degree incline toward the rider which helps make it looks like it belongs on the bike. The rack does not touch any of the bike's painted surface, but I will be including an 1/8" thick piece of adhesive back rubber with each rack to put between the rack and the painted surface in case you hit a hard bump with a load on the rack. The prototype does not have the standoffs welded to it yet so that is why you see the heads of the mounting bolt in the pictures below. The mounting bolts will be below the surface of the plate after the standoffs are on. The rack will also have another bracket that is bolted to the top surface of the rack. This bracket is 2" high and goes across the front of the rack to keep luggage from going onto the bike's painted surfaces. This .090" steel bracket is held on with two bolts for easy removal when it is not needed and has two holes for bungee hooks. With this bracket in place the usable surace for luggage placement will be 11-1/2" deep by 16-5/8 " wide. The rack and the bracket will be powder coated in a semi-gloss black textured powder. This is far more durable and less scratch resistant then trying to paint it to the 06 blue. I think the black will look fine since the black seat runs inline with with the rack. I will also sell the rack and bracket unfinished if you want to have it painted locally. That will reduce the price by $7.00 also.

Features

• Holds luggage

• Ample Bungee Cord Slots

• Accepts Givi Monokey universal plates

• Accepts Givi Monolock universal plates

• Three Givi box position settings (Passenger can actually lean back slightly)

• Will accept removable backrest (still in design)

• 5 Minutes on/off

topview2.jpg

RSview1.jpg

backview1.jpg

LSview1.jpg

MeasuredWidthView.jpg

MeasuredLengthView.jpg

I do not have a firm price on the rack yet, but I'm estimating it to be between $175 to $185 for FJR Forum members. I would like to see how many members have interest in the rack, so I know how many racks to make on my initial order. I'm estimating about a three week lead time to get the first production out the door. The removeable backrest should be ready about the same time or shortly after. I should have the rack and bracket complete and powder coated by Wednesday or Thursday of this week and I'll post more pictures then. I will also post pictures of it with a Givi E45 box in the different positions. Thanks for looking!!

Below are pictures of the new rack with a Givi monolock mounting plate and the E45 case mounted to it. Other pictures show my better half sitting in both the front and rear postions of the three different mounting locations. There is a total of 1-1/2" of adjustment between the front position and rear position.

GiviPlateRearPosition.jpg

Plate mounted in rear position

GiviPlateFrontPosition.jpg

Plate mounted in rear position

GiviBoxFront.jpg

E45 Box Mounted

PillionFrontPosition.jpg

Better half in front position

PillionBackPosition.jpg

Better half in rear position

OHFJR, looks pretty darn nice. :clapping: I like the design. I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing yet, but I may have some interest. I'm in Ohio also. West Central part of the state along I-75, just SW of Lima.

Don

Nice work! :clapping:

Your awesome mount!

backview1.jpg

What i see

decepticons.jpg

THE DECEPTICONS!!! :haha:

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that very much although I don't want to sound ungrateful about your beautiful work but I think I would like to see Allen key bolts in stead of the hex head type you have on your prototype.

Looks bloody nice though!

Cheers

When do you expect to have them available?
It all depends on how much interest is shown on the board. I need to run a batch of at least 10 or 20 pieces in order to keep the price inline. Hopefully after I post finished pictures and a selling price later this week I'll get some idea of the interest level. Thanks for your interest

I like that very much although I don't want to sound ungrateful about your beautiful work but I think I would like to see Allen key bolts in stead of the hex head type you have on your prototype.
Looks bloody nice though!

Cheers

The finished rack will use the three stock Yamaha bolts and will be below the surface of the rack and out of sight.

The Empire Strikes Back!

You should talk to Spielberg about using these as models for future imperial cruisers.

Seriously though, very nice work. Especially like the fore / aft adjustability.

OHFJR,

Not certain if you received my email inquiry about your rack. I see you have the monolock rack but I would need a monokey rack attached to your rack. Is this also possible?

BMort

Questions - - Definately Interested

1) Would the removable backrest be usable with a Givi bag mounted on the rack?

Reason is that we don't like the Givi backrest and are hoping the one you will offer will be nicer.

It would be a plus if the backrest could be used in combination with a topbox.

I like options.

I suppose this rack could easily be adapted by the user to mount another brand of topcase.

Obviously, would like to see the backrest and know the final cost before making a decision.

I was going to purchase something by the end of this month, now I think I will wait and see. This may be just the solution I was looking for. Heck, I could even put my old fashioned backpack on this, or a small pizza. Just one word of advice, no matter how gently I rode, my pizza always ended up stuck to the top of the box.

OHFJR,Not certain if you received my email inquiry about your rack. I see you have the monolock rack but I would need a monokey rack attached to your rack. Is this also possible?

BMort

BMort, the Monokey base plate should fit, but it just arived today and I'll see if it fits tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on this. I should have pictures of the finished rack on this thread over the weekend and some firm prices.

OHFJR,

Not certain if you received my email inquiry about your rack. I see you have the monolock rack but I would need a monokey rack attached to your rack. Is this also possible?

BMort

BMort, the Monokey base plate should fit, but it just arived today and I'll see if it fits tomorrow. I'll keep you posted on this. I should have pictures of the finished rack on this thread over the weekend and some firm prices.
OHFJR,

It probably would not be possibe due to lack of time, but I'm going on vacation next week (Thursday) and I sure would have liked to have your rack and the adaptor plate for my trip to Nova Scotia. Do you think it would be possible for me to receive a rack and adaptor platet by next week (Wednesday, leaving on Thursday)?

BMort

The rack looks very functional but possibly a little too industrial. I am not trying to be too critical but provide you with the honest feedback you have asked for. Perhaps a slightly different pattern on the holes and more rounded corners. Should the holes for bungee cords be round so they cannot move? I would also suggest another slot or hole in the middle of the tail for a bungee cord.

I may be interested once you have determined the final design and price.

Last edited by a moderator:
The rack looks very functional but possibly a little too industrial. I am not trying to be too critical but provide you with the honest feedback you have asked for. Perhaps a slightly different pattern on the holes and more rounded corners. Should the holes for bungee cords be round so they cannot move? I would also suggest another slot or hole in the middle of the tail for a bungee cord.
I may be interested once you have determined the final design and price.

Thanks for the feedback, I think the rack will look less industrial after it is powder coated and future racks we will be using 3/16" thick plate instead of the 1/4" plate in the pictures. I personally think that rounding the corners would take away from the overall design of the rack. I have designed the rack to fit the sharp razor edges of the bike's awesum styling. I may have to put a small radius in the corners if getting the powder coating in the corners becomes a problem. The bungees slots also fit the design of the rack and I think it would detract from the looks if you have round holes there for the bungee hooks. If you have any pressure on your bungee cords at all, they won't be moving around in the slots. The slots will be widened slightly to accept the 1/4" black plastic hooks popular are today's bungee cords. A bungee slot in the center rear might be a good idea, but my thoughts where you would criss-cross bungee cords into the two rear slots. One bungee cord down the middle of a pack isn't going to hold much.

OHFJR,

BMort

OHFJR,

It probably would not be possibe due to lack of time, but I'm going on vacation next week (Thursday) and I sure would have liked to have your rack and the adaptor plate for my trip to Nova Scotia. Do you think it would be possible for me to receive a rack and adaptor platet by next week (Wednesday, leaving on Thursday)?

BMort
BMort The rack will accept the monokey base, however since I do not have a box to fit it on the plate. The rack will hold the monokey plate in two different positions, but until I find a box I won't know if a backrest is possible while the box is on. I'll try to get hold of a box next week to test, but needless to say I won't have any racks available for your trip next week.

OHFJR,

Get the beer cans off of the garage floor (Alcohol Abuse), & let the kids out of the basement please!

;)