• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

New Vendor for 06 Luggage Rack

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rack looks very functional but possibly a little too industrial. I am not trying to be too critical but provide you with the honest feedback you have asked for. Perhaps a slightly different pattern on the holes and more rounded corners. Should the holes for bungee cords be round so they cannot move? I would also suggest another slot or hole in the middle of the tail for a bungee cord.

I may be interested once you have determined the final design and price.

Thanks for the feedback, I think the rack will look less industrial after it is powder coated and future racks we will be using 3/16" thick plate instead of the 1/4" plate in the pictures. I personally think that rounding the corners would take away from the overall design of the rack. I have designed the rack to fit the sharp razor edges of the bike's awesum styling. I may have to put a small radius in the corners if getting the powder coating in the corners becomes a problem. The bungees slots also fit the design of the rack and I think it would detract from the looks if you have round holes there for the bungee hooks. If you have any pressure on your bungee cords at all, they won't be moving around in the slots. The slots will be widened slightly to accept the 1/4" black plastic hooks popular are today's bungee cords. A bungee slot in the center rear might be a good idea, but my thoughts where you would criss-cross bungee cords into the two rear slots. One bungee cord down the middle of a pack isn't going to hold much.
Fair enough. Your right about the hooks and there are also some flat adjustable bungees that are about an inch wide. I am sure you went through plenty of designs before you made your last version.

The rack looks very functional but possibly a little too industrial. I am not trying to be too critical but provide you with the honest feedback you have asked for. Perhaps a slightly different pattern on the holes and more rounded corners. Should the holes for bungee cords be round so they cannot move? I would also suggest another slot or hole in the middle of the tail for a bungee cord.

I may be interested once you have determined the final design and price.

Thanks for the feedback, I think the rack will look less industrial after it is powder coated and future racks we will be using 3/16" thick plate instead of the 1/4" plate in the pictures. I personally think that rounding the corners would take away from the overall design of the rack. I have designed the rack to fit the sharp razor edges of the bike's awesum styling. I may have to put a small radius in the corners if getting the powder coating in the corners becomes a problem. The bungees slots also fit the design of the rack and I think it would detract from the looks if you have round holes there for the bungee hooks. If you have any pressure on your bungee cords at all, they won't be moving around in the slots. The slots will be widened slightly to accept the 1/4" black plastic hooks popular are today's bungee cords. A bungee slot in the center rear might be a good idea, but my thoughts where you would criss-cross bungee cords into the two rear slots. One bungee cord down the middle of a pack isn't going to hold much.
Fair enough. Your right about the hooks and there are also some flat adjustable bungees that are about an inch wide. I am sure you went through plenty of designs before you made your last version.

I think the drawing has been revised about 11 times since it conception. lol It will be 12 if I have to radius the corners. Hopefully I'll have pics of the finished rack and firm pricing on this thread Saturday afternoon.

OHFJR,

I think once we see it powder coated it will look much less "industrial" and blend in with the bike to a much greater degree. Please do keep us up to date. I'm still very interested.

BMort

I think the drawing has been revised about 11 times since it conception. lol It will be 12 if I have to radius the corners. Hopefully I'll have pics of the finished rack and firm pricing on this thread Saturday afternoon.

The rack will be less prone to stress cracking if you radius those corners.

Well if you where planning on hauling hundred pounds on the rack everyday I suppose that maybe a concern over the years, but hauling the light load this rack is designed to carry, it will far out last the the bike and you and me!.

Well if you where planning on hauling hundred pounds on the rack everyday I suppose that maybe a concern over the years, but hauling the light load this rack is designed to carry, it will far out last the the bike and you and me!.

OHFJR,

Any photos yet of the finished, powder coated rack?

Still interested.

BMort

Sorry,

Didn't look to the new threads. I was following the old one.

BMort

I'm interested. Want to fit the Givi 52 to it. Does the 52 use the same base plate as the one in the pix above?

I'm interested. Want to fit the Givi 52 to it. Does the 52 use the same base plate as the one in the pix above?

No, the E52 box uses the E250 universal adapter plate and the picture shows the universal plate for the monokey boxes such as the E45. The rack is designed and does hold the E250 plate it is just not shown. The E52 box will have two different locations available for mounting the plate so the rider has a choice of how upright they want to be. Let me know if you have any other questions. I have two confirmed buyers so far so I need four more to start a batch of these.

The Givi E52 does fit on the rack and will have two different plate positions for passenger's preference. The E52 uses the E250 universal plate and is not the one in the picture above. I will have pictures of the rack with the Givi E52 posted by tomorrow evening. Check out my other thread for pics tomorrow.