New Yamaha Touring Bike - Venture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RossKean

Reaction score
https://www.yamahamotorsports.com/transcontinental-touring/models/2018/star-venture

I was wondering when or if Yamaha would revisit the big touring bike genre again.

Holy shit, they did it with a "new" bike that offers the very best technology of the 1980's.

I almost checked my calendar to see if it was April 1.

Big (113 ci) V-Twin!

Air-cooled!

Belt Drive!

$27,000!

963 lb.!

34 mpg!

At least they have a 750 watt electrical system. And went with FI instead of carburetion. Lots of doo-dads and gizmos might appeal to some but they have even failed to out-Harley the Harley Davidson.

I don't think the dealers are going to have a lot of trouble keeping these things in stock!

Something tells me they missed the target on this one...

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not bad looking. But that price tag sends a little chill down my spine. Little more coin gets you on the top of the line Indian. I was at Ohio Bike Week last weekend and we had an Indian Roadmaster in my group. That thing got looks wherever we stopped. Even the Harley guys were all over it.

I guess they better hope the Yamaha is reliable as a rock. Because they certainly didn't try to win the technology or price-point battle as far as I can see.

I reviewed the stats on this thing...i think they crush Indian and HD on technology, price, performance, etc. Not to even mention the 5 yr warranty. I suspect anyone wanting a V-Twin tourer will seriously consider this Star Venture over the tire old alternatives out there.

Having said that, I would still look at a Gold Wing or BMW K16 over any V-Twin tourer if I was in the market.

After all of the marketing hype for this bike I expected to be disappointed with it- hoped it would be a home run, but didn't expect it. IMHO it is neither a disappointment nor a home run. It's pricey and they hope you buy $2k in accessories to get it the way you want it (and that is after paying for the "transcontinental" upgrade model). Too heavy, V-twin is so yesterday, and passenger comfort looks so-so for the class. On the good side- long wheel base, great lighting, reverse, low seat height, low CG, decent looks, and plenty of electronic stuff. Some have commented that the CB radio option is ridiculous; but there are times when that might be very handy- like when trying to work around interstate traffic jams.

Hopefully all of the communication stuff will include a good intercom system. I'll reserve final judgement until after seeing one in person and maybe a test ride- it may be better than it looks- but early thoughts are that a water-cooled V4 along with much lighter weight and better passenger accommodations would be nice. Maybe quit trying to copy Harley and just build a modern long distance comfort bike. Worry less about image and more about function . . . .

I don't think the dealers are going to have a lot of trouble keeping these things in stock!
Probably not since the wildly popular PDP is back...which is probably a big relief for the dealers since they won't be under pressure from Yamaha to have any on the floor.

I'm with Data - I'll reserve final judgement until I see and maybe ride one, but I'm rather surprised they didn't power the Venture the same way they did with the original - with a tuned version of the V-Max V4.

I was hoping it was going to be an FJ -07. Then maybe I could talk my wife into getting rid of one of her cruisers and getting a proper touring bike.

I have no interest in an 800lb pirate ship.

I got on a Vulcan one time. My first though was I might as well just take the car.

I understand the market they are going for but I don't think there is much room.

Harley with the new engine (Milwaukee 8) is doing better and Indian is developing quite a following.

While I could never get over the look of the Victory Vision, it was a pretty good motorcycle and most people who had one liked it. Similarly, the Victory Cross-Country was well liked (but by too few people). Although in the market for some time, Polaris decided they couldn't make a go with the Victory line - putting all their resources into the Indian.

As per Geek's and Data's posts, I would also liked to have seen a touring bike built around the V-4 (water-cooled) engine but updated from what was in the old Royal Star Venture - I'm sure it could make much better than the 100-ish HP of the old Venture. Shaft drive, 6-speed, good electrical system and some modern amenities at a reasonable price. Time will tell but I don't think I would hold my breath waiting for them to displace HD (or Indian).

Still, I would not mind taking one for a ride; just to see.

The side and rear views are OK for that style of motorcycle, but it looks pretty ugly from the front. I kind of understand the V-twin appeal for the custom market, but I don't understand the appeal of a big, heavy, expensive V-twin touring machine.

I guess I'm blanking on why a company like Yamaha puts out a "touring" V-Twin? What are the benefits of the Twin? The only other bikes they produce with a twin are the other V Star bikes (which I do see a few of), but those are also liquid cooled. It seems like the competition with HD would outweigh the benefits. Percentage wise, the number of twin cruisers on the road lean heavily towards HD and away from Jap bikes because of obvious stereotypical reasons.

When you have such a successful platform as the FJR, why wouldn't you base more design cues on that? A belt-drive twin that's heavier than a Goldwing?

I like some design attributes...but it still seems too HD for me. If I was looking long distance tourer, the only option would be the wing.

A little too late to the party! Having said that, it's not a bad looking machine. A bit porky for my liking. All depends how much of the weight has been kept low. I would be curious to see how well that bike handles at low speed. Many creature comforts for a nice touring experience. Combine that with Yamaha reliability. They may have something. The one advantage that they have trying to compete in this dominated segment is their solid dealer network. That puts them in a better position to move both units and garner share.

I looked at the link. My sense is that they are going for the folks who are willing to plunk down $32k+ for an HD that's not as capable.

There are a lot of folks in that basket, although not as many as there once were.

I think they've miscalculated the value of the HD badge to the bucket-listers who would be in their target demographic. There are a lot of really nice touring style bikes at this price point, and lower. And a Yamaha by any other name is still a Yamaha.

At $18,999 loaded, I'd bet on them. At $26,999 my money is against success.

I'd hate to be in the motorcycle business in 2017.

I like the infotainment system, be cool to have that setup on a FJR; of course keeping the 7" screen. Anything smaller would be pointless. With that said I don't think you can get all that in the FJR fairing without a major design.

I wonder why they didn't go with the liquid cooled V4 that has been around for so long, that's a pretty solid motor right? I'm sure they could have spruced that motor up a bit to make it even more appealing.

I wonder why they went with a belt drive over a shaft, something to do with the V-Twin? Or are they copying H-D?

Canadian only feature -

"Dual 298 mm front discs squeezed by 4-piston monoblock calipers, ABS & UBS equipped.

excellent barking performance with good feedback to the rider"

Not sure if this is about shins or dogs. . . . . . :)

-Steve

I had an old 1984 Venture V4 watercooled, shaft drive, and would prefer it to an aircooled V-Twin of any brand. Just checked out the VentureRider forum and it seems they like the styling but are confused by the decision to put that engine in it. They were hoping for a variation of the 1800cc VMax engine. It turned out that that type of touring machine wasn't for me but sure glad I have my FJR.

My old Venture even had self cancelling turn signals!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.