newbie asking about weight allowed in top box

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robfilms

Reaction score
i'm a newbie shopping for a fjr.

i have seen a nice 2008 with a yamaha three piece luggage set/top box and side boxes.

i have read most of the long and helpful thread about the rear sub-frame issues.

my questions:

how much weight does yamaha suggest is "allowed" in their oem top box?

does that amount change if there are no side boxes, just the oem top box?

can the modification to strengthen the rear rack (stiffy or givi mod) still allow the use of the yamaha oem top box?

thank you in advance for any info you care to share.

thumbs up.

rob

I also have a 2008. I installed a Stiffy and the Givi SR357. I use the OEM luggage as well (OEM top case and sadlebags). I modified my SR357 to accept the OEM mount for the OEM top box. All is working nicely and is rock solid. If you come across a deal on the 2008 you mention, don't hesitate to get it. Install the Stiffy kit and the SR357 and you're golden. Most will suggest one or the other, but doing both is more of a belt AND suspenders approach.

I'm not sure how much weight we put in each of the pieces, but it's on the light side. Mostly just stuff like extra jackets, snacks, sneakers, etc. Most of the issues that have come up with the subframes are the result of repeated overloading while riding on somewhat rough pavement, i.e. setting up a bouncing situation that can cause fatigue in the subframe.

At least that's my take on all of this. I'm sure, no, I'm positive, that someone much more knowledgeable than me will chime in to offer help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob, I used to (ashamedly) over-pack my '04 with full OEM luggage and the only times I felt concern were the times I had to bounce across the Cross Bronx or the Belt. Those roads were the cause of me installing Garauld's stiffy kit for peace of mind and I never had a problem nor gave it more thought afterwards. It's good you're aware of this but my advice is not to overthink it. If you've been searching this Forum you know of the few reported sub-frame failures but compared to all the bikes out there and how they've been used I don't think it's a huge issue. Plan on putting some sort of extra support back there when you get a chance (or quicker if you'll be immediately using the bike as a pack-mule) with either of the options Mad German offered above and then as the mantra goes, ride more and stress less.

Good luck pulling the trigger on that '08. Let us know.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Yamaha recommends no more than 10 pounds in the top box but don't hold me to that. I know I've overloaded mine on occasion to no apparent ill affect. I've since added the Stiffy Kit and Givi SR357 and upgraded the OEM top box for a Givi V56 as I wanted more room. I need the space more so than added weight ratings. The OEM box is actually smaller than it appears when closed and I'm traveling more by bike in recent years than I had anticipated.

helpful.

thank you all.

so by adding the givi sr357 mount i will still be able to use the yamaha oem top box, right?

thanks in advance.

thumbs up.

rob

I've seen it done but I went with the Givi mount and box this time. I would think there is either an adaptive mount available or you could drill mounting holes in the SR357 and bolt up the OEM mounting rack.

helpful.
thank you all.

so by adding the givi sr357 mount i will still be able to use the yamaha oem top box, right?

thanks in advance.

thumbs up.

rob
Yep. You just need to fab an adapter plate for the OEM plate to mount on. I followed the one that a forum member here made. I'm awful at posting pics here, but I'm more than happy to send some your way if you PM me your email address. I'll see if I can find the posts that I used for guides as well.

I would think that using the OEM top box on the Givi SR357 might be more trouble than it is worth.

Did you know that Yamaha now offers a superb all aluminum replacement "tail rack"? This is a factory part that looks like part of the bike and essentially does what the SR357 does. And best of all, it is DESIGNED to hold the new Yamaha supplied top box.

Otherwise I would say to install the Garauld Stiffy if you want to stay with the OEM top box and to install the Givi SR357 if you prefer to change brands.

Almost forgot, SHAD now builds a mount for the FJR that is very similar to the Givi SR357. I have also heard that SHAD is the supplier for the Yamaha top box... That may be worth checking into.

I would think that using the OEM top box on the Givi SR357 might be more trouble than it is worth.
Did you know that Yamaha now offers a superb all aluminum replacement "tail rack"? This is a factory part that looks like part of the bike and essentially does what the SR357 does. And best of all, it is DESIGNED to hold the new Yamaha supplied top box.

Otherwise I would say to install the Garauld Stiffy if you want to stay with the OEM top box and to install the Givi SR357 if you prefer to change brands.

Almost forgot, SHAD now builds a mount for the FJR that is very similar to the Givi SR357. I have also heard that SHAD is the supplier for the Yamaha top box... That may be worth checking into.
rh-

thanks for the sharing.

as a newbie still kicking tires, this is the type of info i find helpful BEFORE i spend my $!!!

any idea of part number or link to this new alum "tail rack"?

and will the oem top box that came with 2008 luggage package possibly fit this new part or is there a newer/better/improved yamaha oem top box that fits the new alum "tail rack"?

again, thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob

It's Friday ...

How much weight is allowed in the topbox?

1 MILLION POUNDS

41297467775_d7bd1e1756_z.jpg

rh-

thanks for the sharing.

as a newbie still kicking tires, this is the type of info i find helpful BEFORE i spend my $!!!

any idea of part number or link to this new alum "tail rack"?

and will the oem top box that came with 2008 luggage package possibly fit this new part or is there a newer/better/improved yamaha oem top box that fits the new alum "tail rack"?

again, thanks for the sharing.

thumbs up.

rob
OP-The "new improved" rack works with both the 39lt top case (what you have with your '08) and the 50lt case that was introduced a few yrs back.

Link to "new improved" rack -

https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/details/fjr-rear-rack-top-case-mount?dealernumber=&req=true&nw=yamaha-motor-company

Note that some (very minor) cutting of bodywork is required to install this rack.

There are a few threads on the forum that talk about fitting this rack to a GenII, and other related discussions.

-Steve

Went 600 miles with wife behind me and about 30lbs in the tail case, 30-40 lbs in each side case. No problems.

Generally you just want to put the heavier stuff low in your he side cases.

I run a Givi V46 with an SR346 mounting plate and installed a bolt lock with a cotter pin drilled through the bottom of the Givi top trunk to secure to the palte's locking mount so I won't bounce off.

I commute on my FJR daily and load my heavy backpack with laptop in my top trunk daily.

Keep is to balance the weight in the saddlebags or top trunk.

Do the long bolt and cotter pin mod!