Newbie needs help.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi, I'm the happy new owner of a 2005. I started researching tires because of the "fresh meats" mentality myself.
What I learned was there is a date code molded into the tire, just like car tires. It's in the oval with the year and week of the year it was made. I also learned that motorcycle tires have a manufacturer recommended 7-10 year shelf life if they’re stored correctly. My bike has Bridgestone BT-023's that are from late 2017 with only 3000 miles on them. So, I decided to run mine awhile longer. Here's a good video on the subject
I would be concerned about running your front tire backwards. If the belts are directional, It could have caused heat build up and possible delamination.

Glad you got it worked out. I have the same model and never experienced such handling issues. Learned from this forum long ago that 40/42 seemed to work best and that the FJR eats rubber. Picked up from long time bike magazine writer Salvatore Clemente that tire pressure was a very high priority. Check it often. Also had a dealer mount a tire backwards like you but caught it before leaving their lot. Happy Trails!

Agree with two wheels, most likely the front tyre. The FJR is very fussy about the front tyre. Firstly, pressure. Some model years, Mr Yamaha recommended 36psi, others years 39. Stick with at least 39 (cold). A pressure of 36 makes it feel heavy and it requires continual countersteering through corners, 39 gives much nearer neutral steering.

I don't know the Shinko. Huge debates/arguments about the "best" tyre. For what it's worth, my personal choice is Bridgestone BT023 or T30/31. I find these give good grip, last well, and don't give up their characteristics when part worn. Many other tyres feel great when new, but deteriorate badly after about half their life. But if this turns into a tyre debate, it's destined for the dreaded NEPRT section.
So the factory setting of 36 on front is too low? My pilot 5 is cupping bad and it's pretty new

So the factory setting of 36 on front is too low? My pilot 5 is cupping bad and it's pretty new
Yes, too low. Mine starts gives bad handling anything below 38, 39 it's good, my preference 39-40 cold.

For a couple of years Yamaha did recommend 39 in the front, then reverted back to 36. I have no idea why. Use 39-41.

Like others, I experienced cupping on the front tire when using the recommended 36 on my '03. I ended up pushing it to 39 based on others' experience and the cupping predominantly disappeared. On my '08, I run a pound and a half over the recommended 39 on the front and similar on the back and have had my tires run pretty consistently other than one set of Metzler Z8's and the original set of Bridgestone BT021's which had an overly soft side rubber on the front and wore a lot faster than the middle or the rear. Last 3 sets have been a T30 and T30 Evo's and I'm happy with how they've maintained their profile and their longevity, considering I really have to work to find roads with character here in SW Ontario.

Seems running high pressure in tires is the excepted normal for many here. Has anyone successfully run standard pressures?

All tires can cup or scallop simply as a matter of normal wear and riding conditions. Since the FJR is doing so more than some other bikes maybe there is an inherent flaw in the suspension setup for American sized riders. Has anyone that resorted to higher tires pressures first adjusted or upgraded suspension related components and settings to match their weight - bike load and riding style and still has tire wear issues?

I notice the sweet plush ride of my FJR compared to my FJ 09 with suspension upgrades. My FJ is not harsh or hard it’s just more taught and connected feeling. I’m wondering if the suspension on the FJR isn’t a bit soft and causing some of the groups tire wear issues?

Has anyone that resorted to higher tires pressures first adjusted or upgraded suspension related components and settings to match their weight - bike load and riding style and still has tire wear issues?
Still an issue with upgraded suspension (Penske rear and Traxxion Dynamics AK20 front). Sweet spot seems to be 40-42 or a bit higher in front and 42-44 rear for handling and optimum tire wear characteristics.

JerseyDevil where you located? I'm in Vineland and pretty good with a wrench.

Start by changing out those Shinkos. Then loosen every bolt under the upper triple clamp on down. Yes even the fenders, calipers and axle. Bounce/compress the forks a couple of times and then torque everything to spec IN PROPER SEQUENCE.

Oh and fresh fork fluid is always a good thing.

And yes, tire pressures at 40/42.

I have used Shinko ravens on my 06 and my 2014. In my opinion best tire value out there. They wear reasonably well and half the cost of the Pilot tires.

I have used Shinko ravens on my 06 and my 2014. In my opinion best tire value out there. They wear reasonably well and half the cost of the Pilot tires.
I have you shingles for the last 10 years between the 005006 and I think those 009 they all seem to be about the same they are all good tires never had one slip uncharacteristically and I've always gotten reasonable mileage off of them that was with my Suzuki bandit and I have done a set on my FJR still a good tire

I run a pound and a half over the recommended 39 on the front

I run 40F and 42R (+/- 1/2 a pound) and prefer Michelins above all others. They seem to cup less.

Tire pressure in my view is a matter of preference. Depends entirely on what you are asking the tire to do. I'm not brave enough to test Shinko tires. My riding pal decided to try his luck with Shinkos on his goldwing which took him all the way to the scene of the crash. Front tire gave up grip in a corner and totaled his bike. Dunlop tires have served my purpose for the best part of two decades. As far as pressure, I stick to what Yamaha recommends for the front tire 36 psi. The front tire is the control point of every motorcycle and I use two factors when it comes to tire pressure, Weight and Traction. 36 psi in the front seems to satisfy both those requirements. 38 psi riding solo seems to be my sweet spot for the rear.

My riding pal decided to try his luck with Shinkos on his goldwing which took him all the way to the scene of the crash.
Which Shinkos was he running?
I have (inadvertently) run as low as 36 psi in the front - hadn't checked pressure in some time and it was low. Felt sloppy to me but not dangerously so. For many tires, the lower pressure leads to premature wear and cupping.