Newly Tick Free and Loving it

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon T

Reaction score
I bought a 2004 last October. It had 28+K miles, had been tipped over once, but otherwise was in good shape. I thought. After reading posts here, I realized it was a "ticker." The dealership I bought the bike from called Yamaha, and received approval to fix it (free to me). We scheduled a time in January for the repair giving the shop time to get the necessary parts. MAN! The engine runs much quieter. I hear new noises, but I think it's because the old noises are gone. I haven't noticed a difference in performance, but I ride pretty conservatively anyway.

Meanwhile, following up on tips from this forum, I kept my eye out for FZ1 mirrors. Bought a used pair from ebay at a good price and had the shop put them on while everything was apart. WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE! The photos trying to show the difference do not do justice to the additional visibility from these new mirrors. I may still add a fish eye mirror insert to help with finding object at my 4 and 8.

Oh, and I bought one of Gary's backrests. Mrs LOVES it, and wonders why I didn't get it sooner. (Part of the answer is the high demand, part of it was me learning about it from here.)

This is a great forum. (not sure I'll make it to Colorado this summer, but we have a gathering in the works for West Virginia in September. I think I'd be stupid not to make that. Just have to convince the mrs.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Good for you getting the tick fixed, I'm in worse condition than you. I hav an 04 with the tick, that I bought from a privarte party. It has 35k miles, I found out that the 24k mile service was never done, so after I do that if the tick is still there I will be working with my Yamaha dealer to get Yamaha to fix it...This is a great Bike ticker or not. I am very encuraged to hear when folks get their tick fixed...Enjoy this B E A U TI FUL mechine...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jon - great to hear of your good experience with your dealership in getting the tick fixed :yahoo: . Hopefully I'll never have to find out, but it sure sounds like Yamaha has been good to all that have suffered the dreaded tick.

I agree with you on the FZ1 mirrors -- of all the farkles I've added to my 05, by far the FZ1 mirriors have been the biggest "bang for the buck". The added visibility behind is really amazing, and you are right, that pictures of the difference just don't do it justice.

Happy riding! Jay

Hi Jon,

I live in Herndon. Im looking for a good mechanic on my 07 FJR. The ABS light is on and lots of grinding noise coming from the rear when the bike is on center stand and in gear. Who did you use to do your Tick work? I have

used Coleman in FC and was not happy with the SM's attitude on reworks (was told to buy a better bike(and I bought from them)). I have the FJR YES Warranty.

Any help would appreciated.

On RT, I belong to the Souther Cruisers Riding Club with members in Western Fairfax and Loudoun Counties. Mostly a Cruiser riding group but a great bunch of folks who enjoy riding and are fun to be with . They even allow me to ride my FJR LOL> We do the RT every year. Consider this next year.

Hope to hear from you.

Rick

I bought a 2004 last October. It had 28+K miles, had been tipped over once, but otherwise was in good shape. I thought. After reading posts here, I realized it was a "ticker." The dealership I bought the bike from called Yamaha, and received approval to fix it (free to me). We scheduled a time in January for the repair giving the shop time to get the necessary parts. MAN! The engine runs much quieter. I hear new noises, but I think it's because the old noises are gone. I haven't noticed a difference in performance, but I ride pretty conservatively anyway.
Meanwhile, following up on tips from this forum, I kept my eye out for FZ1 mirrors. Bought a used pair from ebay at a good price and had the shop put them on while everything was apart. WHAT A BIG DIFFERENCE! The photos trying to show the difference do not do justice to the additional visibility from these new mirrors. I may still add a fish eye mirror insert to help with finding object at my 4 and 8.

Oh, and I bought one of Gary's backrests. Mrs LOVES it, and wonders why I didn't get it sooner. (Part of the answer is the high demand, part of it was me learning about it from here.)

This is a great forum. (not sure I'll make it to Colorado this summer, but we have a gathering in the works for West Virginia in September. I think I'd be stupid not to make that. Just have to convince the mrs.)