Next Sw-fog In Az

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If we can get Skooter to do some work, yeah, he'll be helping our Fastour Riders Group put on the AZ version of SW-FOG next year.

I haven't heard anything about California; no one in attendance last weekend made mention of it.

Me and Don Stanley and Paul Forch were there - Doc Reid and friends did a great job of giving us tasty roads, and the food was pretty good, too - they obviously know the priorities of FJR pilots :D

Prior to the event I'd emailed Doc about us putting the gig on next year, and we talked about it some more over the weekend. We got an excellent response when it was announced at the banquet Saturday night, so we're ready to rock it.

Az's got loads of natural beauty, lots of very fine roads (some suitable for exploring the FJR's limits, heh), kitschy roadside attractions (true Americana!), and more. How about:

The Southern AZ Wine Country, where they grow a pretty mean grape;

Rt 191 (aka 666, or Devil's Highway, which has about 500 curves in it's 100 miles);

The old mining towns, now artists colonies of Bisbee and Jerome;

Tombstone, the Town Too Tough To Die;

More continuous pieces of Old Rt 66 than any other state;

And, of course, the Grand Canyon.

Dunno if we can get that all packed into one year, but we sure could make two events out of it.

My hope is that we get riders from CO, UT, TX and yeah, what the hell, CA (is that SW?) to step up and put a FOG on. It'd be great to have an event to go to each year but only have to work at it every few years.

When WFO was changed from the tentative Reno/Tahoe venue to NW Washington state, there was a lot of, um, bitching from the SoWest contingent. It was put out there that someone from the SoCal area should 'put-up or shut-up'. IIRC someone stood up and accepted the 'challenge'. Hence, my posted 'rumor'. I merely thunk that that individual would actuallly stand up and take a swing.

Once we develop strong participation in each region, a next step might be for each area to select their reps to serve on a National committee.

This group would be charged with organizing an annual, semi-annual or even just occasional National Meet, which could rotate around the various regions.

Or individuals could choose to instead make a point of it to travel to another region's meet just to see new scenery and make some new friends.

Whatever - it's all damned good when you're large and in charge astride an FJR.

Just FYI, I am down in Sierra Vista, which only 20 minutes from both Bisbee and Tombstone, in case you need some help or local information.

Cool Beans, Espia - I love Southern AZ and have toured it many times, but it's great to know a local (but not necessarily loco!) hombre :cownoy:

How about staging a Southern AZ mini-FOG this fall during the annual Wine Festival in Elgin?

After sampling the grape we would need to secure lodging to spend the night, of course... Benson seems to have pretty good restaurants and several motel options.

If you're interested, ping me at: Fastour.US

I do believe September is the month that has been chosen. Though no final dates set that I am aware of.