NH Covered Bridges Ride (Pics) Take II, Oct 14th

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nice Rumble

Reaction score
28 riders turned out to take on the covered bridges of southwestern NH. It was an eclectic mix of machines ranging from sport tourer's, sport bikes, to DS bikes (BMW X Country, Dakar, 640KTM). The longest distance award, if only in word, went to an FJR rider and his son, who rode all the way from Alfred, NY and made a long weekend out of it. The weather was brisk in the morning but warmed up nicely in the afternoon with bright sun. Trying to keep 24 bikes together amid foliager gawkers, church goers is not an easy task, but somehow we managed.

The early group assembled at Fiddleheads cafe in Hancock, NH at 9:00.

IMG_0663.jpg

It wasn't long after until we heard the sounds of Ducatis, Aprilias, RC-51s et al booming into view. It was Dave M leading the Seacoast group.

IMG_0664.jpg

Paul on his ST3 who rode up from Dedham, MA and Paul and Kate on his Bee (behind Paul).

IMG_0665.jpg

Next stop was to the local gas stop so some could top off their tanks.

IMG_0666.jpg

Lots of high-viz yellow were donned by many riders

IMG_0667.jpg

IMG_0668.jpg

IMG_0669.jpg

Mike and Kim (2touringtheworld) were with us after their trip to Newfoundland this summer.

IMG_0670.jpg

IMG_0671.jpg

IMG_0672.jpg

Daves motto: "never pass up a perfectly good gas station"

IMG_0673.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

Bruce and his RC-51 fresh from a trip to the Maritimes this summer. He claims it's not a torture rack.

IMG_0675.jpg

The Brits were represented.

IMG_0676.jpg

A Strom and some FJRs.

IMG_0677.jpg

Rindgerider on his new '07 FJR returned to ride the CBR for the second time.

IMG_0678.jpg

After traversing 5 bridges we stopped at The Ashuelot bridge in Winchester for a group photo.

IMG_0682.jpg

We had to recruit a local kid to take the photo. Tilt up a skosh.

DSCN1685_resize.jpg

IMG_0685.jpg

The group was getting hungry so it was time to head north to our lunch stop in Walpole. The local pizza place took all of us in.

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

After lunch it off to Greenfield to watch the Trebuchet. But first we needed to ride the infamous Gilsum Rd which parallels the Ashuelot river. There must be 30 sinuous corners in that section. And best of all, we had it all to ourselves. Woot! No pics in there. Too busy. We may have a video thou, stay tuned.

The parking lot in Greenfield was jammed.

IMG_0690.jpg

The medieval pumpkin chucker being loaded. They will disassemble the machine and truck it to Maryland in 2 weeks to compete for the world title.

IMG_0692.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

A perfect day on 2 wheels. No cops or mishaps. Just lots of grinning inside helmets. Get out there and ride while you can. The seasons they are a changin'

Nice job Skip! Looks like you pulled of another great day (minus the local law stop :yahoo: ) Iris and I were changing our tires this past weekend for our up coming trip to West Virginia. I see Paul (on the 07 FJR) made it back for another tour. Great pics too!

Jim

Nice job Skip! Looks like you pulled of another great day (minus the local law stop :yahoo: ) Iris and I were changing our tires this past weekend for our up coming trip to West Virginia. I see Paul (on the 07 FJR) made it back for another tour. Great pics too!
Jim
Very nice pics. Wish I could have gone on that ride too.

Jim,

That wasn't me on the 07 "Black Cherry", wearing the 'Bumble Bee' outfit. I was home entertaining a family Harvest Party. Only got to talk about the NH Ride in Sept. and show the pics. Have a safe trip to WV.

Paul

What a great trip! The ride Sun. was full of twisties, wish I had known about those roads when I lived in NH. Besides the great riding, I learned a few things this weekend:

1) For this trip a 13 year old son is a better traveling companion than a wife. He loved the twists and turns, would have gotten in trouble with the wife. We kicked out a 400 mile return day today, the son hasn't figured out that he can ask for pit stops, so most of that was tank to tank. :yahoo:

2) Even if you are in a big hurry for directions, don't walk into a convenience store wearing your helmet. The clerk might get very upset and you some bad words. :ph34r:

3) Videos of the treb are worthless, you have to see that thing live to get a real feel for it. Hope they get the world record back.

1200 miles altogether, the only thing I would do differently was heated grips and remembering the camera on Sunday. :(

Looks like a nice group Skip, wish I could have made it! What kind of jacket did Dave have on (2 piece lime green)?

Looks like a nice group Skip, wish I could have made it! What kind of jacket did Dave have on (2 piece lime green)?

That's the one piece Olympic Phantom in high-viz yellow that Dave is modeling.
Are any of the lime green jackets in the pictures 2 piece?
Yes, Olympia makes the AST jacket and pant combo as a 2-piece in high-viz yellow.

The rider in the left in this picture has the AST.

https://www.olympiamotosports.com/ast_mens/ast_mens.htm

IMG_0663.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: