No ABS light with ignition on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

droptail

Reaction score
The ABS light has never been on since I bought it used.

Anyone been thru this diagnostics?

Is there an error code that I can check?

Thanks

Are you sure it's an ABS model?

I'm not trying to be funny...my '04 was a non-abs bike. Someone might have SAID it was ABS.....

What color are the piston covers on the front brake calipers, blue or silver?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does it say "ABS" on your front fender right where the arrow ends?

abs-1.jpg

Does it say "ABS" on your front fender right where the arrow ends?
abs-1.jpg
Actually it doesn't have the emblem, however the front plastic has been replaced do to original owner laid down the bike. The visual test would be the front and rear wheel speed sensors.

Maybe there was a connector left unplugged, or a fuse out? In reading the manual, diagnostics calls for a test harness/plug that of course I don't have. This is why I ask the informed.

I'll see what I can find.

I think I was able to get the rear to dump pressure for a test I did when I first got the bike.

Out of curiosity, is the ABS option included in the VIN?

Thanks

ABS caliper "covers", #2 arrows, are silver. non-ABS are blue.

#1 arrow is pointing at ABS sensor "wheel". Big, black plastic disc. If you don't have it, you ain't got it. :D

abs-2.jpg

Now, go disassemble your entire front end and check for a blown bulb!!!

Out of curiosity, is the ABS option included in the VIN?
Not that our FJR VIN Cryptography Team has ever been able to decipher. Go check your easy-to-see up to a hundred yards away brake caliper color like MadMike2 suggested. Blue equals No ABS, silver equals likely blown bulb.

Easier solution? Ignore it!
Easier solution?

I can activate my ABS during a 25 mph emergency stop practice drill.

I feel the rear easily. The front is a bit more "difficult" but I can feel it pulse.

If you can do that, and it's working, it's a burnt bulb. And they are NOT easy to replace. Actually, they're not difficult to replace.....they're difficult to GET TO. :rolleyes:

Easier solution?

I feel the rear easily. The front is a bit more "difficult" but I can feel it pulse.

If you can do that, and it's working, it's a burnt bulb. And they are NOT easy to replace. Actually, they're not difficult to replace.....they're difficult to GET TO. :rolleyes:
Yup. Nail the rear brake-if it's ABS, you'll know in an instant. I had the ABS indicator lamp burn out-and it's how I determined it was the bulb and not the system.

Easier solution?

Yup. Nail the rear brake-if it's ABS, you'll know in an instant. I had the ABS indicator lamp burn out-and it's how I determined it was the bulb and not the system.
Well...heck....if Dave agrees with me....I've arrived at a higher plane that I'd imagined! :eek:

I've missed you radman...it's good to see you posting here. Wassamatta...got snow?!?!

One way to verify if the bulb is OK is to remove the 7.5 amp ABS control unit fuse. With the ignition switched on and this fuse removed the ABS light should be on continuously. The bulb is powered from the LCD multi-function display. The bulb is switched on/off by the ABS system. If the ABS fuse is removed the bulb will be switched on by the de-energized ABS Fail-Safe relay.

One way to verify if the bulb is OK is to remove the 7.5 amp ABS control unit fuse. With the ignition switched on and this fuse removed the ABS light should be on continuously. The bulb is powered from the LCD multi-function display. The bulb is switched on/off by the ABS system. If the ABS fuse is removed the bulb will be switched on by the de-energized ABS Fail-Safe relay.

It amazes me how much a person can learn from this site. Thank you Constant Mesh!

Thanks, thats the test I was hoping for.

Put it up on the center stand. With the engine running, put it in gear.

If you have "ABS" the red (ABS) lite should come on and stay on until turning off the

engine with the key. That will reset the ABS lite to normally off. If the lite does not come on, then the

bulb is bad or Wiring' not right.

Fred

Put it up on the center stand. With the engine running, put it in gear. If you have "ABS" the red (ABS) lite should come on and stay on until turning off the

engine with the key. That will reset the ABS lite to normally off. If the lite does not come on, then the

Fred
What red ABS light would you be referring to?

The ABS light I am referring to as never been on is the blue one in the dash.

Put it up on the center stand. With the engine running, put it in gear. If you have "ABS" the red (ABS) lite should come on and stay on until turning off the

Fred
What red ABS light would you be referring to?

The ABS light I am referring to as never been on is the blue one in the dash.
Okay, you're kidding, right??

I mean it...kidding us? Right? C'mon, fess up.

The ABS warning light is the unnumbered light between #4, the High beam indicator, and #5, the oil level indicator light.

inst.jpg

BTW, the only blue light in the dash is the high beam indicator.

You're kidding us, right?

BTW, the above picture was "grabbed" from an online owner's manual of a NON-ABS FJR, but the middle light of the five is most definitely the ABS fault indicator, NOT the blue high beam indicator.

What "blue one in the dash" are you talking about?