No ABS light with ignition on?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put it up on the center stand. With the engine running, put it in gear. If you have "ABS" the red (ABS) lite should come on and stay on until turning off the

engine with the key. That will reset the ABS lite to normally off. If the lite does not come on, then the

bulb is bad or Wiring' not right.

Fred
My bad, yes I guess its red (never seen it), blue hi beam is next to it. Guess thats what was on my mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Droptail,

Did you get the red "ABS" lite to come on?

Also, does your blue high beam lite work?

Fred

Just to put a picture I found to that red and blue....and other red, yellow, and a stray green:

crw_0543.sized.jpg

Looking through the thread...I don't see where the OP really did decide if they had an ABS bike or not. So, are those calipers metal colored or blue? ;)

Yes, I never saw where he said if he checked the front calipers for the piston covers being "silver or blue".

Fred

Just to put a picture I found to that red and blue....and other red, yellow, and a stray green:
crw_0543.sized.jpg

Looking through the thread...I don't see where the OP really did decide if they had an ABS bike or not. So, are those calipers metal colored or blue? ;)
Iggy, your bike is SICK! And I don't mean in a good way...

You're spinnin' your motor over at 7k, your Engine Warning Light is on, your low on oil and your motor is overheatin'!

But you DO have a full tank o'gas and I gotta admit, you have a set of brass ones to take a pic of your dash while doing 120mph.

Congrats on the 888,888 miles, too. :rofl:

But you DO have a full tank o'gas and I gotta admit, you have a set of brass ones to take a pic of your dash while doing 120mph.
Congrats on the 888,888 miles, too. :rofl:
And to get that particular angle I had to stand fully upright on the begs. Sure I had a +6" windscreen in it's full up position and throttle lock engaged, but I'm lucky I didn't fall off and have to hitchhike to get back to my bike. ;)

Shhhh....don't tell Skoot about the mileage. He thinks 220K is something to brag about.

...naw you can tell it's not my bike because it looks shiny new and clean. I have at least a half dozen layers of continent crossing residual build-up on mine. I stole it from somebody here years ago sensing it would be needed for just this kinda thread. ;) Still wondering about the OP's ABS status though. Even with the patina on mine I can make out those non-blue caliper inserts at 50 yards.

Still wondering about the OP's ABS status though. Even with the patina on mine I can make out those non-blue caliper inserts at 50 yards.
Yeah, it's kinda funny that basic question hasn't been answered. But now I'm wondering if his High Beam bulb is out, or he's never used 'em, if he's never seen the "blue" indicator light up.

I'm beginning to think we're being distracted with this thread while someone's stealing our beer! :lol:

I confirmed I have ABS by correcting a poster saying my wheel sensors were metal and not plastic.

Yes, my hi beam works.

No, no ABS lite when spinning on center stand.

I haven't had time to do that fuse check suggested above. I def will.

One way to verify if the bulb is OK is to remove the 7.5 amp ABS control unit fuse. With the ignition switched on and this fuse removed the ABS light should be on continuously. The bulb is powered from the LCD multi-function display. The bulb is switched on/off by the ABS system. If the ABS fuse is removed the bulb will be switched on by the de-energized ABS Fail-Safe relay.
Where would this ABS fuse be, under panel D? My owners manual I bought used does not cover ABS.

Thanks

FDroptail,

Let's go back to post #6:

Arrow #1 points to the sensor cover, if it's "ABS" it will have a wire attached too it. Check for the wire.

Arrows #2 points to the brake caliper with 2 silver circles. If yours are BLUE than you do not have "ABS".

Do these checks before pulling anything apart.

Fred

FDroptail,
Let's go back to post #6:

Arrow #1 points to the sensor cover, if it's "ABS" it will have a wire attached too it. Check for the wire.

Arrows #2 points to the brake caliper with 2 silver circles. If yours are BLUE than you do not have "ABS".

Do these checks before pulling anything apart.

Fred
Fred, I think I've covered this. Having the ABS option is not my question. I know I have the option, sensors, pump, plumbing, indicator lite, etc. Getting the indicator light to turn on is.

Thanks

One way to verify if the bulb is OK is to remove the 7.5 amp ABS control unit fuse. With the ignition switched on and this fuse removed the ABS light should be on continuously. The bulb is powered from the LCD multi-function display. The bulb is switched on/off by the ABS system. If the ABS fuse is removed the bulb will be switched on by the de-energized ABS Fail-Safe relay.
Finally got around to doing this, and light does not come on with fuse removed. Guess this means bulb?

Finally got around to doing this, and light does not come on with fuse removed. Guess this means bulb?
When I had one of the dash lights burn out on my '05, I replaced all of them while I was in there. The instrument lights looked good so I didn't replace them.

That's a long comment to suggest you change them all while you have it apart.

When I had one of the dash lights burn out on my '05, I replaced all of them while I was in there. The instrument lights looked good so I didn't replace them.

That's a long comment to suggest you change them all while you have it apart.
Standard automotive bulbs found at auto store?

I don't remember seeing anything about instrument removal in my service manual. Guess I'll take off the front cowling and see how they're attached.

Thanks

Standard automotive bulbs found at auto store?
NO.

I don't remember seeing anything about instrument removal in my service manual. Guess I'll take off the front cowling and see how they're attached.
Thanks
There are a couple of threads dealing with it. Ignacio has a great write-up that I used. Let me check around and look in the FAQ section and I'll post the answer back here.

Edit: Found the information in the Gen I FAQ

Gen I cowl removal

Speedo/instrument light replacement

Finally got around to solving the ABS light problem today, although I have ridden it a few times.

It was the bulb, as some of you had suggested. And I also took the suggestion to swap out all the bulbs as well. I don't want to take this apart again if I don't have to.

Now I can finish with my performance mods with an exhaust cutout, then on to an automatic windscreen.

Thanks for all the input.

Yes, I have ABS.

So the very first reply to this thread (Post #2) suggested the reason for this thread....and it took 37 replies to determine that.....wait for it.....here it comes.....

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

|

Post #2 was right. So was Post #6. BWAHA!

I kill me. :D