No brake lights and on the road. KrZy8

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thank you, a new word for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
.........., I have had a greaser ball (I'm not sur of the traduction) so know, I juste take one minutes to lubricate this axis. And it's never dry!
Greaser Ball is very descriptive, better than zerk... which would be your translation...
Grease fitting. Grease nipple. Alemite fitting

Last edited by a moderator:
before test ABS, or all other thinks, you can just try on the connector 1 on this scheme. You have all signal (Break, rear light, turn signal)

wire10.jpg

Apologies for no pix yet.

Put KrZy8 up on the lift.

Removed right lower cowling. This is where most of her relays now live. Yes, I relocated them.

No brake relay.

Crap.

Removed upper right hand panels, sorry, don't know the ABC's here.. but found the relay in front of the battery.

Removed the Aux tank and removed the running/brake light bulb. Kind of a PITA but got it.

Guess what?

It worked perfectly. All the time. WTFO?

CRAP.

Removed electrical tape that was obviously not factory from the wires running to both bulbs. The Aux tank fuel pump clamps to the rear sub frame and I was curious about a possible pinch point. None found. Wiggled wires. Pulled wires. No failure.

OK then.

Put a light dialectric grease on the bulb's contact point, blow the bulb enclosure free of dust with compressed air, take the Aux tank off for baffle repair.

Kind of weird to see KrZy8 without an Aux tank on..

Removed relay that went CLICK with rear brake foot petal action. Connections look fine. Clean, and greased. Tapped the relay with a screwdriver to try and make it fail. No luck.

Check my inventory of spare relays. Nope, the brake relay is different than fan, headlight relays. No spare.

Clean it all up, put top and lowers back on, call it good for now.

New brake relay ordered.

Long of short, I'm riding tomorrow and all is good.

Thank you, Ionbeam, McaTrophy, gapiob, and all others too!

It's really nice to know you can be solo on the road, have a issue, post up, and get quick responses. I mean, really, what is that worth? PRICELESS!

My plan is to ohm out the front brake switch. If operational, pull the right cowling and replace the relay.
The relay is right at the front of the battery, isn't it? Can you get to it with just the inner panels out and not have to actually take the whole cowling off? Or are the inner panels what you meant by "cowling?"

As for "ohming" out the switch, do it with the key off. That 12 volts will screw up your meter reading. :)

...Thank you, Ionbeam, McaTrophy, gapiob, and all others too!

It's really nice to know you can be solo on the road, have a issue, post up, and get quick responses. I mean, really, what is that worth? PRICELESS!
Not priceless for us, we're stuck here playing on our computers while you're out there RIDING
mda.gif

Hope your fix stays fixed, no brake lights is a bit of a worry.

Commuted in the dark today, no issues. All seems to be good.

Still going to replace the relay with a new one when it comes in. Sometimes, the 3 mile long dirt road causes failure, sometimes it rattles sense back into relays and intermittent connections.

Commuted in the dark today, no issues. All seems to be good. Still going to replace the relay with a new one when it comes in. Sometimes, the 3 mile long dirt road causes failure, sometimes it rattles sense back into relays and intermittent connections.

BUT, does it rattle any sense back into the operator??:) :) :) :) :)

Commuted in the dark today, no issues. All seems to be good.

Still going to replace the relay with a new one when it comes in. Sometimes, the 3 mile long dirt road causes failure, sometimes it rattles sense back into relays and intermittent connections.
BUT, does it rattle any sense back into the operator??:) :) :) :) :)
Like you don't know that answer prior to posting, Uncle Ray?

JSNS and
fuck.gif

Hugs n' Kisses