no fuel

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

toddlwitte

Reaction score
ok so i spent the day getting 11 days worth of bugs and almost 5 years of dirt from the factory (sitting in warehouse) off the bike. installed new battery, pumped up the tires.

My Problem: bike wants to start-just won't ignite, my guess is the fuel inside has evaporated. How do i get the bike reignited without trailering it to the service shop?

Thank you

Todd Witte

York, PA

Bikes that sit this long with old gas tend to varnish up and plug up the fuel system. Drain all the old gas. Refill. Try again and then wait for answers from others on this forum on what might need cleaned...

Drain all the old gas. Refill. ...
yes. give it a shot.

I'd add fuel conditioner/injector cleaner to new gas (SeaFoam is one brand - any auto parts store),

but after sitting that long, those little orifices are probably really plugged, and

I'd bet you're in for a visit to the shop for dealer-quality fuel system re-invigoration.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blame it on the York City Council. They put sugar in your tank years ago and are only now realizing their revenge. ;)

Welcome to the board....I don't really know you, but I've been to your house and snapped pictures of your car.

I'd back up and try to confirm if it's an air, gas, or spark problem. Very unlikely air, but make sure nothing's nested in the airbox.

For fuel try spraying in some starter fluid. If it fires a short time and shuts down...you've likely got a fuel delivery problem and varnished or gelled gas could have gummed up the injectors or maybe the fuel pump. Ugly.

As for spark, pull a plug and turn it over to see if you see the blue spark.

ok so i spent the day getting 11 days worth of bugs and almost 5 years of dirt from the factory (sitting in warehouse) off the bike. installed new battery, pumped up the tires.My Problem: bike wants to start-just won't ignite, my guess is the fuel inside has evaporated. How do i get the bike reignited without trailering it to the service shop?

Thank you

Todd Witte

York, PA
We're all assuming it's an FJR!?

ok so i spent the day getting 11 days worth of bugs and almost 5 years of dirt from the factory (sitting in warehouse) off the bike. installed new battery, pumped up the tires.My Problem: bike wants to start-just won't ignite, my guess is the fuel inside has evaporated. How do i get the bike reignited without trailering it to the service shop?

Thank you

Todd Witte

York, PA
We're all assuming it an FJR!?
I was wondering the same thing......hey, why havent you been riding that bike in so long?

Yep, double check which system isn't supplying their needed part to the process. Even coil connections and sparkplug wires can be suspect.

I've disassembled the carbs and cleaned them (and all the small parts) with Chemtool Carb cleaner. The ones on my XS1100 worked well after that.

I pulled the entire bank of carbs and did them one-at-a-time so I would have others to compare to. Make sure you clean all the passage ways, too. It isn't just a small orifice that gets plugged, but the vacuum and fuel passages as well.

If we're talking about an FJR, with fuel injection, then the early FJRs cycled fuel through the fuel lines back to the tank when you turn the key on and let the pump run. So:

1) Dump all the old stuff out of the tank

2) put in a gallon of fresh fuel

3) Run through the key on sequence a few times waiting for the fuel pump to cycle each time, but don't try to start it

4) dump out that gallon of fuel and put in some more fresh fuel

5) try to start it

6) Once it is running, put some injector cleaner in the tank for the next couple of tanks full until it runs well

Blame it on the York City Council. They put sugar in your tank years ago and are only now realizing their revenge. ;)
Since I only moved to York a couple of years ago, I'm hoping they have ceased this practice. Maybe I should start using a H-D cover when the Feej is unattended?

Todd - We need some more help/information from you on this. Is this an injected bike or not?

If it's just regular carbs and the fuel system is gummed up, you'll need to take the carb(s) completely apart, jets and all, and soak it in something like, Dip-Parts carb cleaner, and get all the passages cleared again, use compressed air to get the dip parts off, I use gasoline after that. Then reassemble and start all over with all this great advice of draining and cleaning the fuel lines, tank, etc. :(

Good luck let us know how it goes, and give us some more information so we can better help you. B)

I think he is talking about this bike

toddwitt.jpg

Todd - Just curious. What type of bike are you talking about?

Flushing the fuel system (and replace fuel filter) is a must, but also take a close look inside the tank (flashlight). The dry portion of the tank will have a tendency to develop rust on the internal surface. Also examine the wiring very closely; mice and birds can eat away your wiring. All sorts of ugly problems can occur with any machine that sits too long.

SR-71

I know that is his famous "Bumble Bee" bike, but I don't think THAT bike has set, unused, for 5 years.
He did say "11 days worth of bugs..." Maybe the 2003 IBR is the last time he rode it. Certainly I haven't seen or heard of that bike since then.
Man, it's purty. LOUD, but purty.

Thank you

Todd Witte

York, PA

also might check the fuel system fuses....located behind the battery I think.....15amp...If past memories serves me well, that fuse blew on mine and no fuel---replaced and fired right up..... yeah if no stabile was fuel through her....varnish is a good bet....