No good deed goes

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It doesn't look that close to the sidewall to me either. I'd plug it and give it a try.
I agree, I would plug it as well and ride it for the remainder of the trip if I'm away from home. But I would in all likeliness eventually replace a tire at home.
If it was further away from the edge, not a problem. I have ridden tires with plugs in them for thousands of miles, but not that comfortable that close to the edge. That is the most flexing part of the tire, especially while cornering.

I agree on the mushroom plug, but you can't do that on the road.
I see a mushroom plug and a patch-plug as two different entities. The mushroom plug can be used on the road. Some people like them better than strings - others not so much. I haven't used them. I expect they might be better for a straight-in, regular hole but less good for an irregular or angled puncture compared to sticky strings.

Mushroom Plug

1669036519310.png

This is the Stop & Go kit that includes the insertion tool for mushroom plugs - tire on rim.

1669036885349.png

Patch Plug
A Patch Plug is the best possible repair with a plug to fill the hole and an integral sheet of rubber glued to the prepared (cleaned and abraded) inside surface of the tire carcass. Plug is inserted through the inside of the tire and can only be done with the tire dismounted. While it MIGHT leak, it won't blow out.

1669036756725.png

I now have a "parade-duty" rated tire. The $9 Slime Plug with silly-string worked great, and like everyone said, same angle on install as the offending screw. But as many Forum member comments suggested, the hole and plug are between chicken-strip and outermost tire edge. I could not make rubber meet road on the plug head. This easy lesson reminds me to get a second set of tires and rims.

Thanks always, Forum fellows.

I agree on the mushroom plug, but you can't do that on the road.
Actually, now you can:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0006NE3KEThe case fits nicely in the tool tray and is large enough to accommodate a CO2 inflator and some cylinders along with the repair supplies.

That said, I would consider it a temporary repair and replace it with a full size mushroom plug when I got home. Like one of these:
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07N69PGM1
Edit: I see RossKean beat me to the punch. Although the tool I have is more motor-cycle sized.

Mushroom plug from the inside. It's been a few years, but when I researched the topic that was the only repair acceptable to the major tire manufacturers -- with the caveat that any repair derates the tire speed rating.

(A mushroom plug is a combination rubber plug that goes through the hole and an integral patch on the inside of the tire. They really work well)
When you get home remove string plug. Install plug/patch combo inside and finish wearing out that tire.

I see a mushroom plug and a patch-plug as two different entities. The mushroom plug can be used on the road. Some people like them better than strings - others not so much. I haven't used them. I expect they might be better for a straight-in, regular hole but less good for an irregular or angled puncture compared to sticky strings.

Mushroom Plug

View attachment 3083

This is the Stop & Go kit that includes the insertion tool for mushroom plugs - tire on rim.

View attachment 3085

Patch Plug
A Patch Plug is the best possible repair with a plug to fill the hole and an integral sheet of rubber glued to the prepared (cleaned and abraded) inside surface of the tire carcass. Plug is inserted through the inside of the tire and can only be done with the tire dismounted. While it MIGHT leak, it won't blow out.

View attachment 3084
I don't recall seeing that plug kit. I agree that could be a good solution, maybe better than the string. Although I've never had a string fail on me.
I'm going to get one of those mushroom kits to add to my repair kit.

Thanks!

When plugging a tire ALWAYS mentally drop it's original load and speed rating by 1 step.

I've been using Stop-N-Go since getting into the IBA (and learning that I probably should carry a patch kit since I wasn't going to be "near anything" most of the time). At one time there was a flurry of observations that (when moving from various bias ply tires to steel belted) the steel belts sliced through the plug. I haven't experienced it personally but mention it because (at least at the time) of the stridency of their warnings.

I have only used a string and glue. I did get a patch put in from the inside once (most shops won't do it).

I would be concerned with the mushroom plug that the hole you insert the plug into would need to be bigger than with the string.

that's the best tire Ive ever had on my FJR for road feeling and confidence build! You won't be sorry about that choice but what did you put on the front?

I have used the mushroom plugs. The newer the tire the more likely to find a nail/screw/pom (piece of metal) in the rear tire. My previous Roadsmart III had a mushroom plug in the rear for 15,000 miles. The current III's are cupping badly, it appears the asymmetric tread pattern and the hard/soft compound boundary on the front tire is exersabiating the wear. I am about to install the Michelin Road 6 GT's. The tread patten is symmetrical so may be the hard/soft boundary will not have preferential wear.
I have equipped my car which has no spare but run-flats with the mushroom kit and a small compressor in case I need to go more than 50 miles to a tire store. (They are probably special order as well. ).
The plugs are easy to use, I have the tool you turn with a hex wrench. Find the leak, ream the hole, push the tool in with the spike, undo the back body which pulls the point out but leaves the tube, load the mushroom plug, attach and screw in the plunger, pull the tool out leaving the mushroom in, pull the exposed end to seat, it probably is but pulling is to check, cut the exposed end flush, inflate.
The FJR with a flat back tire needs at least two people to get it on the center stand. The side stand tips the bike to far over to the right so a barrier, fence, something solid to lean up against is needed. I found this out when I had a rapid deflation on the Baltimore beltway. The back tire was flat and squirrely by the hard shoulder which had Jersey barriers at the side, luckily as it transpired. Of course you have to roll look roll to find the hole All the time trying to get the seat out of your ass! Talk about pucker.
I now have an amazon TPMS to warn me of impending inflation issues, would not be without it now. Best $50 farkle ever.
hope this helps.