No helmet lock?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hud, try putting the helmet in the right case facing backwards. My Neotec with a Sena 20S attached fits. I used to run a Sena 5FM and it fit as well. The left case is a little tougher even for my wife's smaller helmet since the helmet likes to slide a little before I can get it closed.

My Shoei Neotec won't fit in the hardcase with the Sena attached. Got one of Mr. Townsend's brackets and a generic Chinese helmet lock, and that's what I'd recommend. MAKE SURE the helmet lock has a key slot oriented to fir the FJR key, or you'll have two keys on your moto-keyring.
omg2.gif
(Which is just another 1st world problem.)

Hey, what happened? Are we "Never-ending", "Pointless", or "Recurring"? /-:

And with a little more digging you'll find you can make it all work with one key. One or two here figured out how and took the time to document it for us. Many took advantage of this info, including myself, but then again many haven't so maybe we can assume it's a non-issue after awhile. Yeah, it seems odd that a bike of the FJR's caliber doesn't come with an old-school external lock but if that's the biggest complaint about the bike, I'll throw the designers a pass.
Hells bells, my 1995 Yamaha Virago had a helmet lock. Why can Yamaha not put one on the FJR and add $10 to the MSRP?

Yup, years ago, I crafted a bracket (two, actually, one for each side), and used screws under the front seat to mount them. Then I bought vinyl covered braided cable and a couple of ferrules, and made loops on the ends, just as described elsewhere here. After a few years of that, I got smart and bought Scott Townsend's locks, and had them keyed to match my ignition key. A better solution than saddlebags, top boxes, f*cking around with cables and seat removal, or any other solution.

Yamaha should have provided helmet locks, period. My 79 750 Special had them, and my 82 Seca Turbo had them. Maybe the engineer/designer who had that idea back then is retired, and the new engineers never use the products they design. Helmet locks. Duh.

Hey, what happened? Are we "Never-ending", "Pointless", or "Recurring"? /-:
Pointless.

Complaining that the bike doesn't have helmet locks is about as pointless as asking why it doesn't come in pink. It don't, never will, and the only fix is to DIY. ;)

Lee R. posted: Hey, what happened? Are we "Never-ending", "Pointless", or "Recurring"? /-:
All of the above, actually. And lnewlf, go easy, brother; my kids are 15 years older than she is.

Last edited by a moderator:
My Shoei Qwest doesn't fit in the side cases. A guy on the Forum sell brackets for helmet locks that bolt onto the subframe rail. Any standard helmet lock can attach to it.
I just purchased and installed one of @TownsendsFJR1300 brackets. I am not mechanically inclined at all and put it on in 15 mins once I understood how it attached. His email is [email protected] and it's a pleasure doing business with a friendly guy solving helmet issues for FJR owners.

I just purchased and installed one of @TownsendsFJR1300 brackets. I am not mechanically inclined at all and put it on in 15 mins once I understood how it attached. His email is [email protected] and it's a pleasure doing business with a friendly guy solving helmet issues for FJR owners.
So I replaced my Qwest with a GT-Air, which has a rachet buckle, no D-ring. Picked up a cable lock when I need to leave it on the bike.

Fabricated a Stainless bracket which served to add some extension to my fender since the previous owner thought he needed to trim the fender and made a place to mount our helmet locks!
The money sign Latigo I found at the boat ramp one day much to my wife's dismay as I think she said what the puck are you going to do with that thing. Well I was pretty proud when I found it a home!

0826211453_HDR.jpg

0826211548_HDR.jpg

I made a very simple, compact, and very cheap helmet lock from a D-ring Helmet Lock Extension ($6-$12 on Amazon for two pieces), a short piece of 3/16" vinyl-coated cable, a ferrule, and some shrink wrap tubing (to cover the metal on the ferrule). See the pictures below. It is not a "lock" per-se as it uses your existing rear-seat locking mechanism to lock your helmet in place - no special key needed. If you make the cable the right size it places most of the extension between the seat cushions, so cutting the cable would be very difficult to do. This setup won't let the helmet can't fall off the seat - it will always sit on the cushion even if it is bumped, and if it starts raining, it won't collect water. This setup can be adopted for many bikes with removable seats with the right cable length. You can make a set for you and your pillion, or make one for a friend.

Attachments

• HelmetLock.jpg
    HelmetLock.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 40