No-Mar Yellow Thing or XTrahand clamp

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes to both!

I use the same set-up as you to change tires. Yellow Thing works well to initially anchor the bead and Xtra Hand helps with stiffer tires...think Dunlop RS.

--G

Last edited by a moderator:
I use mine all the time with my Cycle Hill machine from No Mar! I have also found their videos very helpful at times, especially helping a friend with his Gold Wing! I also have a bunch of little 3/4 inch wood blocks placed around the wheel help move the bead into the drop center. Generous application of the goop they supply makes the job easier as well.

Yes, as the others have said they are both VERY helpful in the process. I have the NoMar changer and can't imagine trying to do the job without either one of those. I would imagine even though you have the HF changer, they would be most helpful.

So, I was trying to figure out which one I need. You folks seem to be saying I need -- or could use -- both.

I, being mechanically challenged, am having a little trouble seeing how the XTraHand works. Maybe I can find a video.

Thanks

If you decide to only get one, then get the yellow thing. I use it on every tire change regardless of the brand. XTraHand is used sporadically as I mentioned above.

--G

A clamp (parallel wood type) squeezed onto the side of the vertical tire changing piece works great. Start near the parallel clamp with a tire iron, and place the tentioned iron under the clamp. It will hold it in place. Works for me every time.

So, I was trying to figure out which one I need. You folks seem to be saying I need -- or could use -- both.
I, being mechanically challenged, am having a little trouble seeing how the XTraHand works. Maybe I can find a video.

Thanks
Go to the No Mar web site. They have videos for all their products in action!

The clamps hold the bead down in the wheel channel to give more working room as you work your way around the tire during installation. The Yellow Thing holds the tire bead in place as it wants to slip back out and you end up chasing it and having to reposition the wheel in the changer. One Yellow Thing and two or three clamps is the hot ticket.

Go to the No Mar web site. They have videos for all their products in action!
Thanks for the tip. They used two of them in the basic tire mounting video. It's obvious once they're seen in action. But wow! For a guy on a fixed income, two of them and a Yellow Thang (please note Arkansas pronunciation) is a chunk of change. Maybe I should get some of my buddies that do their tires here to buy them. ;)