no start on 04

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leadfootbuell

Reaction score
hello veteran fjr owners! I am new to the forum, and new to mechanical/electrical issues with my fjr, I could use some advice. I liven so. Oregon and we have had a very cold winter, however, my 04 was running fine 2 months ago, and I usually run it for 20 minutes every other week even if I can't ride it, it is full of chevron premium, as always, but the battery went dead, and I hooked it up to a charger for 30 minutes or so, then tried to start it.... not happening. it has the 12 code and the light stays on solid. I can hear it pressurizing the fuel rail, or is that just the fuel pump? the gauges sweep normally. I might be jumping the gun because I haven't replaced the battery yet, this all happened tonight and it is still on the charger when trying to start it, is that going to make that much difference? I had replace the battery last year shortly after I got it, but a little jump box always fired it right up. any suggestions or experience and knowledge would be greatly appreciated. I have had bikes all my life, and currently own a 06 heritage softail, 07 Buell 1125r, 08 KTM530exc/r ,78 rd400, and 04fjr1300, all maintained and serviced only by me, I'm kind of a dick like that, I don't like anyone else working on something I put my life on the line with everytime I ride. that doesn't make me a bad guy! I am not a know it all, and I am humble enough to ask for help when I don't know what I'm dealing with. thanks in advance.

You might try leaving the charger on longer to bring the battery up to full or try boosting it from another vehicle. However, If your battery was discharged during cold temperatures it may have frozen and will probably not recover from that. Having enough power to pressurize the fuel doesn't mean it will turn over fast enough to start. I'd try boosting and if it starts ok then you know the issue is the battery condition.

good luck

thank you, i have left it on the charger all night, and ill give it a try after while. im hoping for some sign of fire from this beast! this winter has been hard on all my batteries, in everything, but this is the first to give me any trouble once i hooked up my charger!

Is it cranking but not starting or doesn't it turn over at all?
If it cranks OK, it might be flooded and might need Wide Open Throttle and a fair amount of cranking - letting the starter cool between attempts.
Code 12 is crankshaft position error - common with failed starting attempts with low battery. Try clearing the error.
See the following for Diag. code info:
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/diagnostic-codes.9612/
If it doesn't crank, I would look at the ignition switch - there were some problems and recalls.
I would also look at starter relay.

By the way, you are better to not even start the bike during the winter if you aren't riding it. You end out with water from combustion in the oil and muffler - 20 minutes might not be long enough to get rid of it.

Last edited:
you are better to not even start the bike during the winter if you aren't riding it.

LFB, Ross is SO right! The shorter running time often does more harm than good. It may not fully re-charge the battery, adds extra fuel and could get flooded, adds water to the oil, and YOU have to do it on all 5 bikes? Just get a Battery Tender and move it to each bike for a day or so each month.

I live in MN (serious winter) and put the tender on my FJR each month for a day or two.

This bike really needs a FULLY CHARGED battery or it may not start and/or run correctly. My suggestion is get a new battery (or pull one from a friend) and fully charge it overnight. Fire that baby up, and now you know ... it was the battery!

Yeah my 7 year old battery was plugged into a battery tender since November and when I tried to start the bike last week it was too weak to start the bike even though the tender showed a green light. Jump started it and rode for an hour to fully charge it. Wouldn't start the next day. New battery and all is well again!

Is it cranking but not starting or doesn't it turn over at all?
If it cranks OK, it might be flooded and might need Wide Open Throttle and a fair amount of cranking - letting the starter cool between attempts.
Code 12 is crankshaft position error - common with failed starting attempts with low battery. Try clearing the error.
See the following for Diag. code info:
https://www.fjrforum.com/threads/diagnostic-codes.9612/
If it doesn't crank, I would look at the ignition switch - there were some problems and recalls.
I would also look at starter relay.

By the way, you are better to not even start the bike during the winter if you aren't riding it. You end out with water from combustion in the oil and muffler - 20 minutes might not be long enough to get rid of it.
I’m glad someone else brought up that issue. I know you do more harm than good by not actually riding. Like he said better to leave it alone tendered with a full tank.

Okay gentlemen, thank you all for the input, and positive support! and the first answer I have is ..no not all 5! I sold the 07 fjr to my friend that bought my 95 vette that is almost the same Burgundy ,or black cherry metallic, the rd400 is dormant until I find an electronic pickup/ ignition setup, I ride the ktm around the property almost daily, the heritage is hibernating w/o a battery and the Buell is sleeping soundly next to it in the same condition!
my cerulean silver 04 has been resurrected!!!! and the battery has even kept up overnight plenty enough to fire it up on a brisk 26 degree morning! ill be changing the battery before it goes out of town regardless, but I am super impressed with this battery's ability to recover, and hold amperage after being deader than a doornail! I don't know if this is proper etiquette, but have had really good luck with battery sharks.com, and the prices are great! the one for my ktm was 11 bucks! the 04 is getting one soon!
again thank you all so much for the input! I have a service manual and the supplemental for the abs, and I thought I was doomed when it threw codes, lol! I left the charger on it all theat day and it fired right up that evening like it had never had a problem, didn't have to clear code, WOT, or anything! touch the button and vroom, high idle for a few, then taper down to 1200 until I blip the throttle! YAAAAAAYYYY!!!!
if anyone is coming out to see and ride around crater lake this year, hit me up, and ill show you around! thanks again!