no start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timk

timk
Reaction score
I have a 05 which I parked yesterday runnibg fine, and won't fire today. Starter spins the motor over well. Last year I had this condition, and all I had to do was recycle the ignition switch off and back on, like it wasn't turned over tight against the detent. Not this time. I was reading the manual about pulling the diagnostic codes, but some of it is vague. When I get the "diag" up, does it scan the 60 or so areas automatically or do I have to scan each, by pressing a button? I may leave well enough alone, as I have the Y.E.S. plan. My concern is probably because it's the first time I had a motorcycle with this feature on it. Have any of you did a diagostic check? Did it take you to the area of trouble? I wa wanting to give the shop a heads up on the area to look.

You have to manually go through the various codes by pushing the select button. I know its intimidating at first, but its really not that big a deal. Just have your service manual at your side for reference, and play with it. You can't hurt anything.

There have been others who have reported the same problem as yours with the FJR. I just can't remember what the solution was. One thing that comes to mind is to check the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor). Also, check some of the various safety switches, like the sidestand switch.

Good luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out this thread for SOME answers...

FJR Doesn't Start

Mine fired back up only after a trip to the dealer.

It had a tip-over code in storage - but the tip-over event occured almost 2 full years before the no-start incident.

I did all the diagnostics according to the instructions I was given - work which resulted in NOTHING.

No fouled plugs, no problems with fuel OR air - nothing - it simply would not start (in my own driveway, thank god).

I turned it over to the dealer with a mostly dead battery after trying to re-start it myself for several days.

The dealer either does not know what happened - or, they aren't telling me - I actually suspect the first.

According to the service writer - they charged the battery back up, and it started.

Then they tried to sell me a trickle-charger...

The bike runs fine now - but I have absolutely NO ANSWERS.

Neither does anyone else.

Check out this thread for SOME answers...
FJR Doesn't Start

Mine fired back up only after a trip to the dealer.

It had a tip-over code in storage - but the tip-over event occured almost 2 full years before the no-start incident.

I did all the diagnostics according to the instructions I was given - work which resulted in NOTHING.

No fouled plugs, no problems with fuel OR air - nothing - it simply would not start (in my own driveway, thank god).

I turned it over to the dealer with a mostly dead battery after trying to re-start it myself for several days.

The dealer either does not know what happened - or, they aren't telling me - I actually suspect the first.

According to the service writer - they charged the battery back up, and it started.

Then they tried to sell me a trickle-charger...

The bike runs fine now - but I have absolutely NO ANSWERS.

Neither does anyone else.

The only time the tip-over switch will keep the FJR from starting is when it's actually tipped over. That code will be stored for informational purposes unless manually cleared, but it will not keep the FJR from starting. Otherwise, my FJR as well as many others would not have started on many occasions.

I suspect your suspicions about the dealer are also accurate.

Why yours didn't start is a good question.

First ride after coming back from Utah 1088 my '04 won't start. It's in the shop, tried a few things then gave up. Hope they can fix it before WFO, or I'll be riding the BMW, could get ugly. :blink:

tel

First ride after coming back from Utah 1088 my '04 won't start. It's in the shop, tried a few things then gave up. Hope they can fix it before WFO, or I'll be riding the BMW, could get ugly. :blink:
tel

Yikes! Not good. How long has it been at the dealer? Do they have any idea what the problem is?

What were the symptoms? Would it turn over?

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

Hi Skoot:

Only took it to the dealer today - too busy to ride last couple of weeks. Thought I'd take it out for jaunt this morning. :angry2:

She turns over, but doesn't fire, sounds like it's just about to start, but nothing. Dealer said maybe fuel injectors?? I went through the diags and only found #30, which maybe due to my tip over a year ago??

Hate to turn up to the WFO on a BMW, but it's that or stay here with the sister in-law and her kids :nono:

Bummer. Shoulda come here right away, we might have got ya started.

30 code is for a tipover, so yeah, it was probably in the "history" section of the diagnostics. Those codes don't go away until manually reset. That wouldn't have been what is keeping you from getting started however. Every once in a while this freak, "turns over but no start for no apparent reason" happens. I think sometimes it's related to the Throttle Position Sensor, but I could be wrong.

Where's the radman? Perhaps he has some insight on what has happened in the past.

I seriously doubt it's the fuel injectors. Those just don't stop working all of a sudden. Lots of possibilities from simple, like bad gas, to much more complicated.

Did you hear the fuel pump whirring as normal when turning on the ignition prior to hitting the start button?

It will be interesting to hear what your dealer says. I bet they get you going before WFO if they are at all competent, and assuming there is no "part backordered" problem.

BTW, nice new avatar you got there.

Fuel Pump working fine, or at least it's running and making it's usual whirring noise..

Bad gas - hmmm... my wife says I have bad gas :D Filled up last in Fontana at a Shell station, wasn't in the boonies. Can't believe that's the problem?

I'll let you know when I find out. They said they were horribly backed up with work, but said they hoped to have it done by next Sunday.

Felt naked without the avatar :p

Update on my 05. It was the throttle position senser, but I think the manual(I don't have it with me now) says it won't cause a "no start condition". Anyone else had TPS troubles, and was the bike a non-starer. BTW. we were in the Smokies before this senser went out, 1700 miles, and about 1000 were in the rain. The bike never missed a beat. Thanks to all for your help.

Sorry to hear about your TPS! Glad that your dealer ID the problem and fixed it.

A bad throttle position sensor is not supposed to PREVENT starting but it can CAUSE a no start. When the throttle is sitting on the idle stop, as in the throttle grip is not being turned, the TPS is supposed to send ~.620 to .720 volts to the ECU. If the TPS is defective in the idle area it can return much less voltage to the ECU -- in the case of my bike, when hot at idle it can send as little as .270 volts to the ECU. This causes the ECU to set RPMs too low to allow the engine to start or run. If you had turned the throttle up a bit and cranked the engine there is a high probability it would have started.

There have been several TPS threads in the past and a couple of current threads in the Technical/Maintenance section. Unfortunately it is beginning to look like the TPS is having a pretty high failure rate in older bikes. :angry:

There have been several TPS threads in the past and a couple of current threads in the Technical/Maintenance section. Unfortunately it is beginning to look like the TPS is having a pretty high failure rate in older bikes. :angry:
I agree. I will go so far as to say that this seems to be showing itself as the FJR's weak point.

I have 79,000 hard miles on mine with no problems whatsoever, but incidences of bad TPS sensors are all too common.

Good news. Got the FJR back today and she seems to be running just fine. I'll take her for a longer jaunt this weekend.

So why wouldn't it start? I hear you say.

Not sure the dealer knows either, but this is what they did.

They said compression was down on ALL cylinders, way down on one??

Said they dropped a bit of oil in each cylinder and whambo she started up.

So, I say, did she seize up? (Not what I wanted to hear.)

Dunno! Maybe.

So, like strip the motor down and, like, have a look??

Why bother? She seem ok now.

So, like, if she seized she'll be using oil from now on, right?

Could be! You got AAA right?

Yep! But...

Hmmm.... I'll see you guys in Reno, I hope. :D

If anybody has any other ideas what might have happened I'm real interested.

tel

Got flooded & the fuel washed the clyinder liners???????? Nope, I got nothing..................... Jestal!! HELP!!!!

I wouldn't worry about it tel. I say any serious long-term damage would have been obvious.

This isn't the first time I have heard of this either. It was a long time ago, but at least one other time an FJR owner reported the same thing. I think it was on EZboard. Anyway, all of a sudden a no start condition after running fine, and the dealer found loss of compression. Fairly low mile FJR. Owner also reported that when turning over trying to start, engine spun fast like there was no resistance.

I can't remember exactly what the outcome was. They got the FJR running and there were no more problems with it after that. I just don't remember what the root cause of the problem was, if it was even ever reported. One of those weird mystery things. Kinda like TWN's brain. Or lack thereof.

Glad you got it going and will be riding it to WFO. I was getting ready to give you a really hard time if you rode in on Kraut Krap.

Hey Skoot:

I'll be there - she ran fine this morning.

Be careful what you say about my Kraut machine, you might just see me flying past you on some dirt road at one of these rallies. :assassin:

See you in the heat.

tel