no tacho or speedo sweep and nothing on digital display

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les burny

Reaction score
Hi,

just new to this forum and hoping someone can throw some light on my problem,

I have a 2010 FJR in the uk and on going to start my bike the other day there was no sweep of the tacho or speedo and the digital display shows nothing.

The bike starts fine, ABS and neutral light are lit and the display backlight is on, all indicators, horn, lights etc work ok, i have checked fuses but to no avail, can anyone explain what might be happening and what my course of action should be.

Thanks in anticipation

How long have you had the bike?

Are you the original owner?

Is the bike kept outside or inside?

How many miles on the bike?

Have you worked on the bike recently?

After answering some questions maybe we can start to determine the issue.

Welcome to the forum, Dave

Sounds like may be a bad connection. Could be on the ground or on positive side. I would check the ground spiders up front and check the harness plugs up in front. If you find a burnt or corroded connections fix it. I know this is kind of vague and may require taking of the upper and lower fairing but it's not to bad if you take your time. Also a good time to clean all connector with WD40 and then lube them with dielectric grease. I do mine every 3 years and have no corroded connections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, thanks for the replies so far.

I have had the bike since November 2013, it has 14300 miles on it approx, as i cant read the display at the moment ! But that was the last reading a few weeks ago after it had its last MOT test. It is garaged all the time under a cover on a trickle charger.I only average about 1000 miles between annual MOT tests so its not used as much as it should.

I washed it on returning from its test a few weeks ago, and it was rinsed with the garden hose !!! but at no great pressure, just to rinse off, i then polished and returned it to the garage with none of the above symptoms. My wife and i were just about to set off on a run last Friday when on starting i noticed no tacho or speedo sweep and no digital display, although everything else was functioning normally, all lights, horn, screen etc etc, and it ran fine, i took it for a run about thirty miles and not a hiccup.

I have removed the four upper covers up front to see if anything obvious, flooded with water etc but it appears bone dry and i wasn't spraying water about everywhere, i cant find anything anywhere on why the instruments are not working apart from subject of ground spiders, but it is not showing any of those type of symptoms, could the instrument cluster just have failed completely,what are the options if that is the case, how does the the tacho and speedo get there signal, and how is the digital display tied up with this ?? looks like i may have to remove all the fairing and start delving, which i have never been at before.

Thanks again and would appreciate any assistance in curing this problem.

Start with lifting the tank and checking things out. The fairings woulld be the last thing I would attempt to take off. you can get to most everything by liftting the tank.

Good luck,

Dave

Hi thanks for that, was going to try and get to the connections to the actual display unit, cant understand why everything else is working fine apart from the display and gauges, was going to lift the tank anyway, will get started Monday as away for weekend, dreading it !!!.

Hi, thanks for that, just started this morning to remove fairing etc, taking my time, never removed before, hopefully get to them sometime today in between other tasks !!!! Cheers.

Hi les,

Im keeping up with your post with huge interest and hope your investigation has a successful outcome. Do have an agenda though as,if you read my recent post, a very similar issue happened on my bike recently.

Sorry I cant offer much help or advice because despite taking plastic off, opening and inspecting all connectors in the vicinity of the RHF indicator lens, I couldn't replicate or find a reason for the engine dying, no dash display and no starter operation, all of which was cured by slapping said lens.

Good luck with your search, much help and advice available here.

Steve

Hi guys, thanks very much for your input so far, managed to get fairings and nose cone off today with the help of FJR flyers print out of how to that I actually came across a couple of days ago, I only have the right and left fixing screws for the instrument cluster to remove, not found the right tool yet, then I can unplug and check the supplies and grounds I should have at the plug as very kindly supplied by ionbeam. I have found a company in the UK who can carry out repairs to the instruments if required so as soon as I get it out and checked will keep you informed. Cheers.

If it turns out that the instrument cluster is bad, there are a bunch of them on ebay pretty cheap. Depending on what is wrong, repair might not be possible. The problem is that most of the ebay ones are of USA origin so they will be in miles with mileage in miles per US gallon and temperature in degrees F. Wouldn't have the light for the immobilizer. Mileage, of course, wouldn't match.

Hope it is nothing more than a loose connector.

I managed to get instrument cluster out yesterday and checked connections as described by ionbeam , voltage between red wire with white stripe and black wire with white stripe and there is 12v, also between red wire with green stripe and same black wire with white stripe, same result, 12v, so from this I am assuming all necessary supplies to unit are as should be, and the unit has failed, and needs repaired, I have found a company in the UK, Autotronics who advertise this service at a cost of £192, anyone dealt with them or anybody got any other suggest ??.

Cheers.

Cluster has been sent off to Autotronics in Leicester for repair,hopefully, waiting to hear back what the outcome is.

Hi, just to let anyone know who may be interested, i received my cluster back from Autotronics in Leicester UK, and all is working fine now, needles sweep and register and all digital displays working fully with correct mileage and in MPH.

I did ask for a report on what exactly caused the failure but the only information i got back was that the unit was faulty and the engineers had replaced a few parts. It cost me £192 and comes with a 24 month warranty.

It also would prove that although rare these units can fail and Autotronics do repair them on occasion, just my luck i suppose. Thanks again to everyone's input on this subject and if anyone does have a similar problem in the UK at least I can only recommend in my experience Autotronics to repair it

Cheers and thanks.

I think the dash was sulking because you don't use it enough
smile.png